Router bits in the mill?

  • dougiekennedy
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 2, 2003
      Forgive me for asking what may be a silly question.

      Should I use a 3/8" or 1/2" R8 collet to hold a router bit,
      and use my mini-mill to cut precisely located slots in wood? I
      promise to clean off all the saw dust when I'm finished :)

      I'm sure there will be some performance issues with the
      router bits being run at low RPM, but if you don't think there
      are any safety issues I'll give it a try.

      What do you think will happen?

      Thanks,
      Doug
    • Dave Jarzyna
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 3, 2003
        Don't know about low RPM - But I suggest you fashion a drape over
        your cross slide & around the column - under the wood workpiece -
        makes cleanup a lot easier - also a shop vac with pickup near the
        cutter would be advised.
        DRJ - Billings

        --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "dougiekennedy" <yahoo2@k...>
        wrote:
        > Forgive me for asking what may be a silly question.
        >
        > Should I use a 3/8" or 1/2" R8 collet to hold a router bit,
        > and use my mini-mill to cut precisely located slots in wood? I
        > promise to clean off all the saw dust when I'm finished :)
        >
        > I'm sure there will be some performance issues with the
        > router bits being run at low RPM, but if you don't think there
        > are any safety issues I'll give it a try.
        >
        > What do you think will happen?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Doug
      • Rick Kruger
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 3, 2003
          How it works probably depends on the finish it leaves in the wood, may not
          be as clean as at router speeds, but it will cut.

          The size of collet depends on the bit shaft size, would it not? All the
          router bits in my possession are 1/4" shank, so wouldn't you need a 1/4"
          collet, or one that fit whatever router bits you have? I doubt I'd use I'd
          use a split sleeve to size up a 1/4" shank bit to 3/8" or 1/2" collet. I
          don't think it would hold it securely enough. I'd probably use a (well
          tighened) drill chuck first if I couldn't get a properly sized
          collet. Watch out tho, using a drill chuck that's mounted on a
          taper. Side thrust of milling could work it loose.

          Rick

          At 06:00 PM 7/2/03 +0000, you wrote:
          >Forgive me for asking what may be a silly question.
          >
          >Should I use a 3/8" or 1/2" R8 collet to hold a router bit, and use my
          >mini-mill to cut precisely located slots in wood? I promise to clean off
          >all the saw dust when I'm finished :)
          >
          >I'm sure there will be some performance issues with the
          >router bits being run at low RPM, but if you don't think there are any
          >safety issues I'll give it a try.
          >
          >What do you think will happen?
          >
          >Thanks,
          >Doug
        • Brian Pitt
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 3, 2003
            it should do OK but the wood may splinter and tear a bit more
            at the lower RPM I've used regular end mills on wood a few times
            and some of the odd shaped router bits on metals up to cast iron
            for shallow dovetails and "T"-slots (keyhole bit) using a slow feed
            rate

            Brian
            --
            "Nemo me impune lacesset"

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 5, 2003
              Hi Doug:

              Since router bits usually come in 1/4 and 1/2 shanks I
              would suggest 1/2. Also, 1/2 inch bits suffer much
              less from deflection than 1/4. I MUCH prefer using
              metal working helical end mills, they just work
              better.

              Barry Young

              --- dougiekennedy <yahoo2@...>
              wrote:
              > Forgive me for asking what may be a silly question.
              >
              > Should I use a 3/8" or 1/2" R8 collet to hold a
              > router bit,
              > and use my mini-mill to cut precisely located slots
              > in wood? I
              > promise to clean off all the saw dust when I'm
              > finished :)
              >
              > I'm sure there will be some performance issues with
              > the
              > router bits being run at low RPM, but if you don't
              > think there
              > are any safety issues I'll give it a try.
              >
              > What do you think will happen?
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Doug

              http://sbc.yahoo.com
            • dougiekennedy
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 17, 2003
                --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Jarzyna" <mmjarz@y...> wrote:
                > Don't know about low RPM - But I suggest you fashion a drape over
                > your cross slide & around the column - under the wood workpiece -
                > makes cleanup a lot easier - also a shop vac with pickup near the
                > cutter would be advised.
                > DRJ - Billings

                Good idea, I'm going to give it a try. I meant 1/4" and 1/2" collets,
                not 3/8". Being a "more power" kind of guy I never use a 1/4" bit
                when I can get the 1/2" equivalent.

                Doug