Re: digital read out from Rockler ?

  • Rick Grimm
    Message 1 of 35 , Nov 28, 2011
      Better prices at Grizzly:

      6" $25.50
      http://www.grizzly.com/products/0-6-Digital-Fractional-Horizontal-Vertical-Remote-Scale/T21577

      12" $35.00
      http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-Digital-Scale-with-Remote-Readout-Inch-Metric-Fraction/T23012

      I added a 6" for Y, 12" for X and Z on my mini-mill all for $106.
      The work great and I can't see buying the $500 and higher DROs.

      --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "dave_mucha" <dave_mucha@...> wrote:

      > On Sale Now
      > DigiMAG Magnetic Digital Router Lift Remote Readout
      > $39.99Each
      >
      > http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=25158&filter=30431&pn=30431
      >

      > is this a complete unit ? or just the readout ??
      >
      > Dave

    • bbass408
      Message 35 of 35 , Jan 4, 2012
        If you got the igaging scales, I strongly suggest you look at Rick Grimm's video on youtube -- search for "mini mill power feed" and pick the one with $150 in the title, and his pics on the photo section. Attend to every detail and you'll save yourself a do-over or two. Note especially the extension of the X axis bar holder on the left that allows the head to travel a bit more in that direction and clears it from bumping into the column support when you crank all the way back on the Y axis.

        For mounting the reading heads to the mill body, I had good luck with plexiglass like Rick. It allows the right amount of flexibility in the directions you want with the rigidity you need parallel to the axis' movement. I even did a little heating and very light bending to further remove the stress on the reading heads.

        You'll see what I'm talking about when you dig in. Rick's setup saves you the trouble of making angled, space consuming custom mounting brackets and ends up being an almost invisible install. Sweet...