Re: Thank you/Sharpening your drill bits? Freehand/Machine sharpeners?

  • paul_in_pittsfield
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 30, 2011
      No telling how long that excellent article will be available at http://home.iae.nl/users/summer/16mmngm/Articles_htms/ColinBinnie/DrillSharpening.htm , so I preserved it in DOC format for my own use and have uploaded a PDF version to the group's Files section.

      The one aspect missing from Colin Binnie's article is the need to keep the two cutting edges (lips) the same length and angle. There are gauges for the purpose. Google "drill sharpening gauge" for sources.

      Paul in Pittsfield

      --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, ken holden <kdh916@...> wrote:

      > Just Google:  Colin Binnie on Twist Drills
      >
      > <snip>
    • Jim E.
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2011
        Mine will. It has 2 collets, the second with a range of 1/2" to 3/4".

        Graciously,
        Jim E.
        Lakewood, Calif.
        All Hail Rube Goldberg!

        > snip <
        >...On the other hand, a Drill Doctor can't handle a 3/4" MT drill
      • Jim E.
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1, 2011
          How does this compare with Barry's video

          <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbRPPxyw1hw>

          Graciously,
          Jim E.
          Lakewood, Calif.
          All Hail Rube Goldberg!

          paul_in_pittsfield wrote:
          > No telling how long that excellent article will be available at http://home.iae.nl/users/summer/16mmngm/Articles_htms/ColinBinnie/DrillSharpening.htm , so I preserved it in DOC format for my own use and have uploaded a PDF version to the group's Files section.
          >
          > The one aspect missing from Colin Binnie's article is the need to keep the two cutting edges (lips) the same length and angle. There are gauges for the purpose. Google "drill sharpening gauge" for sources.
          >
          > Paul in Pittsfield
        • Randy Smith
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 1, 2011
            Those are great videos!

            Later.... Randy S
            Practice random kindness and commit senseless acts of beauty.

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 1, 2011
              Thank you

              Barry

              On 7/1/2011 11:48 AM, Jim E. wrote:
              > How does this compare with Barry's video
              >
              > <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbRPPxyw1hw>
              >
              >                      Graciously,
              >                        Jim E.
              >                    Lakewood, Calif.
              >                All Hail Rube Goldberg!
              >

              > paul_in_pittsfield wrote:
              >> No telling how long that excellent article will be available at http://home.iae.nl/users/summer/16mmngm/Articles_htms/ColinBinnie/DrillSharpening.htm , so I preserved it in DOC format for my own use and have uploaded a PDF version to the group's Files section.
              >>
              >> The one aspect missing from Colin Binnie's article is the need to keep the two cutting edges (lips) the same length and angle.  There are gauges for the purpose.  Google "drill sharpening gauge" for sources.
              >>
              >> Paul in Pittsfield

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to: