Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Sieg X3 Availability

  • Mitch Davister
    Message 1 of 13 , May 30, 2003
      I've been waiting for the X3 to become available in the states.  I found it by accident on the web, and it fits my needs well.  The Rong-Fu 45's are just too big for my small shop and the X1 that I have now (awesome price) is just a little too small.  I think the one thing that would make the X3 really nice would be a 24" or so table instead of the 12" one it has.

      -Mitch Davister
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 2, 2003
        The thing that kills the X3 as a viable upgrade from the mini-mill
        for me is the max distance from spindle face to table, Sieg lists
        this as 250mm or about 10", you can get 13" with a mini-mill easy
        using a few tricks, I don't know if there's a way you can get more
        vertical clearance with the X3, but if there's not I think it's back
        to the drawing board, after all what use would a larger milling
        machine be to anyone if you can't even use a vise and a drill chuck
        at the same time?

        --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Mitch Davister"
        <mdavister2@a...> wrote:
        > I've been waiting for the X3 to become available in the states. I
        found it by accident on the web, and it fits my needs well. The Rong-
        Fu 45's are just too big for my small shop and the X1 that I have now
        (awesome price) is just a little too small. I think the one thing
        that would make the X3 really nice would be a 24" or so table instead
        of the 12" one it has.

        > -Mitch Davister

        Service.
      • j_t_wright
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 3, 2003
          Hmmm. The unmodified Grizzly (X2) is 11 1/2" spindle
          to table, and I certainly notice it, especially when
          using it to tap. But I am hoping that the X3 will
          be a good base for CNC milling.

          Does anyone know what drives the Z-axis. 'Tain't
          clear from the pictures.

          --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Hannahs"

        • Larry Hannahs
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 3, 2003
            on the plus side, the X3 does have a 19" swing! Maybe someone at
            lathemaster.com can give us more details about this machine, I just
            can't see a machine in this size class being limited to only 10
            inches of vertical clearance, maybe this is a misprint on Siegs part?

            --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "j_t_wright" <buildit@p...>

          • Mitch Davister
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 4, 2003
              To all:

              I have a copy of the manual for the X3 if anyone is interested.  Just send me an email and I will forward it to you.  It has a full assembly drawing showing all of the specs and parts.

              Mitch Davister

              wrote:
              > Hmmm. The unmodified Grizzly (X2) is 11 1/2" spindle
              > to table, and I certainly notice it, especially when
              > using it to tap. But I am hoping that the X3 will
              > be a good base for CNC milling.
              >
              > Does anyone know what drives the Z-axis.  'Tain't
              > clear from the pictures.
              >
              > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Hannahs"
              > <hannahla@a...> wrote:
              > > The thing that kills the X3 as a viable upgrade from the mini-
              mill
              > > for me is the max distance from spindle face to table, Sieg lists
              > > this as 250mm or about 10", you can get 13" with a mini-mill easy
              > > using a few tricks, I don't know if there's a way you can get
              more
              > > vertical clearance with the X3, but if there's not I think it's
              > back
              > > to the drawing board, after all what use would a larger milling
              > > machine be to anyone if you can't even use a vise and a drill
              chuck
              > > at the same time?
              > >

              > > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Mitch Davister"
              > > <mdavister2@a...> wrote:
              > > > I've been waiting for the X3 to become available in the
              states.
              > > found it by accident on the web, and it fits my needs well.  The
              > Rong-
              > > Fu 45's are just too big for my small shop and the X1 that I have
              > now
              > > (awesome price) is just a little too small.  I think the one
              thing
              > > that would make the X3 really nice would be a 24" or so table
              > instead
              > > of the 12" one it has.
              > > >
              > > > -Mitch Davister

            • Mitch Davister
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 5, 2003
                To all that requested the manual for the X3, I had received the manual from a sales person at Sieg.  I had actually been talking about importing one for myself, they were kind enough to send me a copy.

                Mitch Davister

                wrote:
                > Hmmm. The unmodified Grizzly (X2) is 11 1/2" spindle
                > to table, and I certainly notice it, especially when
                > using it to tap. But I am hoping that the X3 will
                > be a good base for CNC milling.
                >
                > Does anyone know what drives the Z-axis.  'Tain't
                > clear from the pictures.
                >
                > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Hannahs"
                > <hannahla@a...> wrote:
                > > The thing that kills the X3 as a viable upgrade from the mini-
                mill
                > > for me is the max distance from spindle face to table, Sieg lists
                > > this as 250mm or about 10", you can get 13" with a mini-mill easy
                > > using a few tricks, I don't know if there's a way you can get
                more
                > > vertical clearance with the X3, but if there's not I think it's
                > back
                > > to the drawing board, after all what use would a larger milling
                > > machine be to anyone if you can't even use a vise and a drill
                chuck
                > > at the same time?
                > >

                > > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Mitch Davister"
                > > <mdavister2@a...> wrote:
                > > > I've been waiting for the X3 to become available in the
                states.
                > > found it by accident on the web, and it fits my needs well.  The
                > Rong-
                > > Fu 45's are just too big for my small shop and the X1 that I have
                > now
                > > (awesome price) is just a little too small.  I think the one
                thing
                > > that would make the X3 really nice would be a 24" or so table
                > instead
                > > of the 12" one it has.
                > > >
                > > > -Mitch Davister

              • j_t_wright
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 5, 2003
                  Thanks to Mitch, 'tis now... Nice looking lead
                  screw... shore looks like a potential CNC mill
                  to me :-)

                  wrote:
                  > Hmmm. The unmodified Grizzly (X2) is 11 1/2" spindle
                  > to table, and I certainly notice it, especially when
                  > using it to tap. But I am hoping that the X3 will
                  > be a good base for CNC milling.
                  >
                  > Does anyone know what drives the Z-axis. 'Tain't
                  > clear from the pictures.
                  >
                  > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Hannahs"
                  > <hannahla@a...> wrote:
                  > > The thing that kills the X3 as a viable upgrade from the mini-
                  mill
                  > > for me is the max distance from spindle face to table, Sieg lists
                  > > this as 250mm or about 10", you can get 13" with a mini-mill easy
                  > > using a few tricks, I don't know if there's a way you can get
                  more
                  > > vertical clearance with the X3, but if there's not I think it's
                  > back
                  > > to the drawing board, after all what use would a larger milling
                  > > machine be to anyone if you can't even use a vise and a drill
                  chuck
                  > > at the same time?
                  > >

                  > > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Mitch Davister"
                  > > <mdavister2@a...> wrote:
                  > > > I've been waiting for the X3 to become available in the
                  states.
                  > > found it by accident on the web, and it fits my needs well. The
                  > Rong-
                  > > Fu 45's are just too big for my small shop and the X1 that I have
                  > now
                  > > (awesome price) is just a little too small. I think the one
                  thing
                  > > that would make the X3 really nice would be a 24" or so table
                  > instead
                  > > of the 12" one it has.
                  > > >
                  > > > -Mitch Davister

                • Larry Hannahs
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 5, 2003
                    Thanks Mitch, really nifty little machine there.

                    <mdavister2@a...> wrote:
                    > To all that requested the manual for the X3, I had received the
                    manual from a sales person at Sieg. I had actually been talking
                    about importing one for myself, they were kind enough to send me a
                    copy.

                    > Mitch Davister

                    Service.

                    > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    Service.
                  • S_F_Guy
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 12, 2003
                      "Mitch Davister" <mdavister2@a...> wrote:
                      > To all:
                      > I have a copy of the manual for the X3 if anyone is interested.
                      > Just send me an email and I will forward it to you.

                      Hello Mitch,

                      Thanks for the offer. But why not just drop it in the "Files" section
                      of this Yahoo discussion group?

                      Btw, for those anxious to see what the X3 looks like, here is a Web
                      page with a photo and some specs:

                      http://tungwo.hypermart.net/SIEGX3.htm

                      Regards,
                      Michael
                    • proscalebrass@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 12, 2003
                        Thats a neat looking machine.  I wish it was easy to refigure mm to inches and kg's to lbs.  Anyone know what the price is on this machine?3

                        John A
                      • Larry Hannahs
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 13, 2003
                          Hey John, there are 25 MM in an inch(actually it's something like
                          25.4, or whatever I'd forgotten, but 25 gets you close enough), a
                          pound comes out to .4539 KG, so if you want to know what 55KGs come
                          out to in pounds simply divide that number by .4539, if you want to
                          know what 250MM comes out to in inches simply divide it by 25.

                        • proscalebrass@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 13, 2003
                            Thanks for the info on measurements.  I will post them beside my computer.  Thanks,   John