Milling Saws

  • David Ki
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2011
      Is there any rule of thumb one can use when buying milling saws? I have been lurking on Craig's list and it looks like the ones for sale are 30 to 40 tooth 4" or 5" diameter. Thicknesses vary 1/16" to 1/8". I know Enco has some finer cutting toothed blades. Most of my work is with aluminum but occasionally steel.

      Another question, are the 4" sizes too much for an LMS milling machine.
      David
    • wbhinkle@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2011
        Use the smallest dia that you can safely use. Rule of thumb is 2 to 3 teeth in the metal at al times. The more blade you have sticking out the more flex you can have and waller out your slot.
        bill hinkle
        in Oklahoma

        In a message dated 6/2/2011 10:00:02 A.M. Central Daylight Time, deki406@... writes:

        Is there any rule of thumb one can use when buying milling saws? I have been lurking on Craig's list and it looks like the ones for sale are 30 to 40 tooth 4" or 5" diameter. Thicknesses vary 1/16" to 1/8". I know Enco has some finer cutting toothed blades. Most of my work is with aluminum but occasionally steel.

        Another question, are the 4" sizes too much for an LMS milling machine.
        David

      • grumpy grady
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 3, 2011
          thanks i was wondering the same thing
          i need one to slot some mounts for mudflaps   1/14 scale ones