Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: lathe operations with mini mill

  • November X-Ray
    Message 1 of 5 , May 31, 2011
       Heres another approach if you dont have a mill or a lathe, click here -  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OorpZlG28fI

      From: Arved <arved_grass@...>
      To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tue, May 31, 2011 1:06:11 PM
      Subject: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: lathe operations with mini mill

      Well, if you can chuck the barrel in a collet, and put a cutting tool in a vice, it should work. Assuming you mean a 3 jaw lathe chuck, you could mount that to the table, and then use whatever tools you wanted in the mill - end mills, fly cutter, etc. Even with the short barrel of a pistol, you don't have much working height, though, and the higher you go, the more column flex will factor in.

      Sherline makes a nice little adapter that fits into the T-slot of their mill, and allows you to mount (and tighten) their lathe chuck to it (Sherline 1187 - Chuck-to-T-Slot Adapter). I haven't seen anything similar for the Sieg mini or micro mills to mount the chuck from a lathe onto the table. You could just use a hold down kit to clamp the chuck to the table by the edges. I think that's the most common way.

      If you mean a 3 jaw chuck like a drill press chuck, forget it. All have morse tapers, which will tend to loosen when a side load is applied. Strictly for axial loading, like drilling.

      Good luck,

      - Arved
      Junior Apprentice Swarfsmith

      --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "usarmyfly" <usarmyfly@...> wrote:

      > I am doing some gunsmith work and do not own a lathe and will not bye one for a while. What I am looking for are suggestions for using the mill to face and crown pistol barrels. I could do it if I could mount a 3 jaw chuck to the spindle somehow. Anyone tried this or have any ideas?

    • usarmyfly
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 3, 2011
        I did mean a lathe chuck. I don't see how I could even chuck it in a drill chuck. The problem is that I need the barrel to turn so a table mounted platform wouldn't work for me, unless it was a 4th axis. I just need to make some extra money and make a 4th axis. I have a treadmill motor for the mill so I can use the mill motor for the 4th axis. I just need to find a cheap headstock and make something.