Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: Spindle Pulley Blunder

  • A W
    Message 1 of 10 , May 15, 2011
    • 1 Attachment
    • 87 KB
    hiya Larry,
    I cut one of the groove last night and it looks great. it was easier using an existing 60deg single point tool than having to custom grind a bit for the 32deg belts. Here's the 2D spec sheet I found for the 5M series belts for your files.

    Thanks Again

    Message 2 of 10 , May 25, 2011
      --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "miner49r" <miner_49r@...> wrote:

      > Imagine that you are really proud of your spindle pulley thus far and
      > you are reading the plans to ready yourself to cut the belt grooves
      > when... you realize that you cut the combined width for the pulleys at
      > .500" instead of the required .627". [INSERT COLORFUL EXPLATIVES HERE]
      > This will leave the sharp leading edges on the pulleys and the belt will
      > ride againt the side of the slow speed pulley.
      >
      > How can this piece be salvaged?
      >
      > a) Cut the groves at a smaller dimension? This would mean narrowing the
      > belt and cutting the motor pulley to match.
      >
      > b) Flip the pulleys on the plan. The low speed pulley could be turned
      > down for high speed leaving a hub to press fit (with screws for good
      > measure) a new low speed pulley.
      >
      > I like option (b).
      >
      > All input will be greatly appreciated.
      >
      > Regards, Miner_49r

    • A W
      Message 3 of 10 , May 25, 2011
      I have never had to follow someone elses plans and my brain and equpment gave me fits all the way, But the pulley is nearly finished and I've learned a lot along the way. Besides my blunder, this poor little Atlas/ Craftsman lathe I inherited from my father needed a lot of TLC during this project.
      (from ceasing a bushing in the back gears, finding a mystery screw on the deck, having to locking down the indexing gear, the half nut assembly nearly falling off, to almost stripping the carriage drive gearset)

      And that's not all...I created a new toolpost and a shaping bar to chip the keyway.

      Thanks for all your encouragement... I can't wait to actually use my new mill. (<--- I mentioned the mill to keep it on topic)

      Regards, Miner_49r