Re: Small Photo (was Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: Hi this is my first post)

  • Jim E.
    Message 1 of 22 , May 13, 2011
    Tony:
    The file is attached to this e-mail. I don't know if Yahoo will allow
    it to pass through to the Griz group, so I'm also forwarding it to you
    outside of Yahoo.

    Graciously,
    Jim E.
    Lakewood, Calif.
    All Hail Rube Goldberg!

    Tony Smith wrote:
    >>It's been in your "Hi this is my first post" posts.
    >>
    >> Graciously,
    >> Jim E.
    >

    > Actually, I was wondering what the web address of the picture was.
    >
    > I had a look at all of the messages in this thread, and none of them have
    > and pictures or links to pictures at all. Must be a personalised Yahoo
    > thing, as someone said, you may have your mail option set to HTML, not text.
    > You only get the web bug (beacons as Yahoo calls them) in HTML, (maybe).
    >
    > At the bottom of every message you'll have something like:
    >
    > Traditional is text, HTML is 'Full Featured (New & Improved!)' or something
    > like that. I take it 'New & Improved' means better ads. You need to change
    > this for every group, which is a bit tedious. I'm not sure what the
    > difference is, and I don't feel like finding out.
    >
    > Yahoo's blurb on this is here:
    > http://info.yahoo.com/privacy/us/yahoo/webbeacons/details.html
    >
    > What you really want is here:
    > http://info.yahoo.com/privacy/us/yahoo/opt_out/targeting/details.html - set
    > it to 'Opt Out'. That should can the web bugs.
    >
    > Tony

  • rysium
    Message 2 of 22 , May 13, 2011
      The image went through yahoo:

      img src="http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=3032973/grpspId=1705063697/msgId=21942/stime=1305299830/nc1=1/nc2=2/nc3=3" width="1" height="1"

      It looks like it is a tracking from yahoo. "Big brother" is watching you :-)))

      RysiuM
      --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Jim E." <jim0000@...> wrote:

      > Tony:
      > The file is attached to this e-mail. I don't know if Yahoo will allow
    • Tony Smith
      Message 3 of 22 , May 13, 2011
        > The image went through yahoo:
        >
        > img
        > src="http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=3032973/grpspId=1705063
        > 697/msgId=21942/stime=1305299830/nc1=1/nc2=2/nc3=3" width="1"
        > height="1"
        >
        > It looks like it is a tracking from yahoo. "Big brother" is watching
        > you :-)))

        Big Brother is indeed watching. Go here -
        http://info.yahoo.com/privacy/us/yahoo/opt_out/targeting/details.html & set
        it to 'Opt Out'. Scroll down and turn all the other stuff off too.

        This sort of stuff is generally harmless, but it is used to build up a
        profile of you over a long time.

        Yahoo know what messages you read, and when you read them. If you always
        read them 9-5, they know you're an office worker, and are slacking off. So
        they send you ads for office toys or employment agencies. If you always
        read the ones with 'fishing' in the title and never read them on weekends,
        well, you get ads for new rods.

        Google are the master at this sort of thing - 'targeted advertising'.

        Not necessarily a bad thing, it beats getting ads for Barbie doll
        accessories.

        I actually do this sort of thing as a living, not advertising related but
        data analysis / data mining. Look at data long enough, or compare one thing
        with another and you spot patterns, eg equipment faults vs temperature, or
        how people spend money; eg Amex credit card usage drops off over the weekend
        in some sectors. Why? Because it's used for business-related stuff, and
        that doesn't happen over the weekend much. So if you have a non-business
        type buying alcohol with an Amex card on Saturday night...

        Tony
      • oldstudentmsgt
        Message 4 of 22 , May 14, 2011
          I don't know about that, man. I keep getting ads for senior and black singles in my area. I'm neither single nor black. More than that, I cannot understand why Google seems to think I'd be interested in either. My wife didn't kill me when I brought home an unannounced 7x10 lathe, or a box full of Atlas MF milling machine parts, so I figure I'm definitely going to keep her. ;)

          Besides, we're newlyweds. August will be only our 29th anniversary.

          If they were paying attention to what I do in email and the like, I'd should be getting ads from Northern Hydraulic, Tractor Supply, Surplus Center, Grizzly, and LMS & HF.

          Bill in OKC

          --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Smith" <ajsmith1968@...> wrote:

          > > The image went through yahoo:
          > >
          > > img
          > > src="http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=3032973/grpspId=1705063
          > > 697/msgId=21942/stime=1305299830/nc1=1/nc2=2/nc3=3" width="1"
          > > height="1"
          > >
          > > It looks like it is a tracking from yahoo. "Big brother" is watching
          > > you :-)))
          >

          > Big Brother is indeed watching. Go here -
          > http://info.yahoo.com/privacy/us/yahoo/opt_out/targeting/details.html & set
          > it to 'Opt Out'. Scroll down and turn all the other stuff off too.
          >
          > This sort of stuff is generally harmless, but it is used to build up a
          > profile of you over a long time.
          >
          > Yahoo know what messages you read, and when you read them. If you always
          > read them 9-5, they know you're an office worker, and are slacking off. So
          > they send you ads for office toys or employment agencies. If you always
          > read the ones with 'fishing' in the title and never read them on weekends,
          > well, you get ads for new rods.
          >
          > Google are the master at this sort of thing - 'targeted advertising'.
          >
          > Not necessarily a bad thing, it beats getting ads for Barbie doll
          > accessories.
          >
          > I actually do this sort of thing as a living, not advertising related but
          > data analysis / data mining. Look at data long enough, or compare one thing
          > with another and you spot patterns, eg equipment faults vs temperature, or
          > how people spend money; eg Amex credit card usage drops off over the weekend
          > in some sectors. Why? Because it's used for business-related stuff, and
          > that doesn't happen over the weekend much. So if you have a non-business
          > type buying alcohol with an Amex card on Saturday night...
          >
          > Tony

        • David Wiseman
          Message 5 of 22 , May 14, 2011
            Bill

            Great to know your wife appreciates your lifeline need for tooling! Equally your need to keep her happy.

            I suspect the messages you get are just simply unsolicited spam, just as we all get them.

            I am truly grateful to the assorted spammers out there who kindly remind me of the many bank accounts that I seem to have forgotten about, especially their timely reminders to check with the banks to update the details. (LOL)

            Kind regards,

            David Wiseman

            Sent from my BlackBerry mobile phone