RE: [GrizHFMinimill] Reverse operation

  • Roger Blair
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 12, 2011

    Bill,

    I used the attached wiring diagrams for reference to add the LMS Lathe switch as illustrated.

    I can’t find my reference for the switch, but you can browse for parts to find it on the LMS site.

    Hope this helps,

    Roger

    Message 2 of 26 , Apr 13, 2011
      Bill; The posts you have received are good ones, but I will add a
      caution that you may already know....

      You MUST MUST MUST stop the spindle before moving the switch. The speed
      controller will be damaged or destroyed if you flip the switch while the
      mill is turning. Never move the switch while the spindle is in motion.

      Some speed controllers have a center interlock on the direction switch
      that prevents you from moving the switch directly from forward to reverse.

      Sorry to be so firm about it, just making sure you understand that it is
      important.

      Later.... Randy S
      Practice random kindness and commit senseless acts of beauty.

      On 4/12/2011 9:56 PM, taney.bill wrote:
      > Has anyone put a reverse switch on a Harbor Freight Mini-Mill? And if
      > so,whatkind and how did you do it?
    • dvgraphicsca
      Message 3 of 26 , Apr 13, 2011
        My X2 mill came with a reverse switch on the control panel.
        Busy Bee "Craftex" mill available only in Canada?

        Don Hamilton
        ------------------------------------

        --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Blair" <Roger.Blair@...> wrote:

        > Bill,
        >
        > I used the attached wiring diagrams for reference to add the LMS Lathe switch as illustrated.
        >
        > I can't find my reference for the switch, but you can browse for parts to find it on the LMS site.
        >
        > Hope this helps,
        >
        > Roger

      • Reid
        Message 4 of 26 , Apr 13, 2011
          Just curious why do you need reverse? What do you use it for?

          Reid

          On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 5:24 AM, Randy Smith <randyrls@...> wrote:

          Bill; The posts you have received are good ones, but I will add a
          caution that you may already know....

          You MUST MUST MUST stop the spindle before moving the switch. The speed
          controller will be damaged or destroyed if you flip the switch while the
          mill is turning. Never move the switch while the spindle is in motion.

          Some speed controllers have a center interlock on the direction switch
          that prevents you from moving the switch directly from forward to reverse.

          Sorry to be so firm about it, just making sure you understand that it is
          important.

          Later.... Randy S
          Practice random kindness and commit senseless acts of beauty.

          On 4/12/2011 9:56 PM, taney.bill wrote:
          > Has anyone put a reverse switch on a Harbor Freight Mini-Mill? And if
          > so,whatkind and how did you do it?

        • taney.bill
          Message 5 of 26 , Apr 13, 2011
            Thanks for the feedback on the reverse switch. I just thought it would be neat to have it. Especially for power taping. I didn't hear of destroying the controller by rapid reversing of the spindle. If I ever do hook reverse up I will be careful of it. Thanks fellows some diagrams I could open and some I could not. You're right Randy the suggestion were good and I appreaciate it. Thanks again Boot.

            --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Randy Smith <randyrls@...> wrote:

            > Bill; The posts you have received are good ones, but I will add a
            > caution that you may already know....
            >
            > You MUST MUST MUST stop the spindle before moving the switch. The speed
            > controller will be damaged or destroyed if you flip the switch while the
            > mill is turning. Never move the switch while the spindle is in motion.
            >
            > Some speed controllers have a center interlock on the direction switch
            > that prevents you from moving the switch directly from forward to reverse.
            >
            > Sorry to be so firm about it, just making sure you understand that it is
            > important.
            >

            > Later.... Randy S
            > Practice random kindness and commit senseless acts of beauty.
            >

            > On 4/12/2011 9:56 PM, taney.bill wrote:
            > > Has anyone put a reverse switch on a Harbor Freight Mini-Mill? And if
            > > so,whatkind and how did you do it?

          • Harvey White
            Message 6 of 26 , Apr 13, 2011
              On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 01:13:17 -0000, you wrote:

              >Thanks for the feedback on the reverse switch. I just thought it would be neat to have it. Especially for power taping. I didn't hear of destroying the controller by rapid reversing of the spindle. If I ever do hook reverse up I will be careful of it. Thanks fellows some diagrams I could open and some I could not. You're right Randy the suggestion were good and I appreaciate it. Thanks again Boot.

              You might be able to find, or rig up, a switch that requires you to
              move it like a car manual shift. To go from forward to reverse, you
              must go to stop, move it to the left or right, and only then go into
              reverse.

              I've seen them, but they are for less power. You would want to use a
              relay to do the final switching, but the odd switch to handle the
              timing.

              You could also use a timer of a sort, or a microprocessor. It's very
              possible to do this.

              Harvey

              >--- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Randy Smith <randyrls@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> Bill; The posts you have received are good ones, but I will add a
              >> caution that you may already know....
              >>
              >> You MUST MUST MUST stop the spindle before moving the switch. The speed
              >> controller will be damaged or destroyed if you flip the switch while the
              >> mill is turning. Never move the switch while the spindle is in motion.
              >>
              >> Some speed controllers have a center interlock on the direction switch
              >> that prevents you from moving the switch directly from forward to reverse.
              >>
              >> Sorry to be so firm about it, just making sure you understand that it is
              >> important.
              >>

              >> Later.... Randy S
              >> Practice random kindness and commit senseless acts of beauty.
              >>

              >> On 4/12/2011 9:56 PM, taney.bill wrote:
              >> > Has anyone put a reverse switch on a Harbor Freight Mini-Mill? And if
              >> > so,whatkind and how did you do it?

            • David Wiseman
              Message 7 of 26 , Apr 13, 2011
                Sorry to be a bit late on reply. Do you ever go into reverse when driving your car forward? Same thing really with the same catastrophic results.

                --
                Best regards,
                David Wiseman
                Message 8 of 26 , Apr 13, 2011
                  Wrong.

                  I actually did accidently shift into reverse while driving forward. My 2010 was smarter than me and did not shift!

                  Bob

                  Message 9 of 26 , Apr 14, 2011
                    Just thought it would be nice to have if I needed it to run a tap on it. Thanks for your info. I didn't know about blowing up the controller.

                    Message 10 of 26 , Apr 14, 2011

                      Folks,

                      Do you really think that blowing up the controller on a mill spindle by using a reversing switch is any more likely than the same switch/circuit designed into the lathes?  Keep in mind that tapping is likely the only applicable operation, (as in my case)  which is only done at very low speed.

                      The control circuit is the same in either case, so I doubt it myself. It performs the same job as my SX3 where the same function is factory designed and installed.

                      Regards,

                      Roger

                      Message 11 of 26 , Apr 14, 2011
                        On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 19:19:10 -0700, you wrote:

                        >Folks,
                        >
                        >Do you really think that blowing up the controller on a mill spindle by using a reversing switch is any more likely than the same
                        >switch/circuit designed into the lathes? Keep in mind that tapping is likely the only applicable operation, (as in my case) which
                        >is only done at very low speed.

                        Depends on the RPM, and it's possible to inadvertently run things the
                        wrong way at a higher speed.

                        >The control circuit is the same in either case, so I doubt it myself. It performs the same job as my SX3 where the same function is
                        >factory designed and installed.

                        In a nutshell, the motor is a generator. When you reverse the motor
                        (controller), instead of opposing the existing supply voltage, it adds
                        to it.

                        Large current surge and possible over voltage. It can do some damage
                        depending on how closely the SCRs or transistors are rated.

                        Easy to avoid with a good switch.

                        Harvey

                        >Regards,
                        >
                        >Roger

                      • Taylor
                        Message 12 of 26 , Apr 14, 2011
                          when I got rid of the controler on my x1 micro mill and went to an auto transformer/diodes I used a reversible plug and socket to the motor.  I never used the reverse even once when the controler was working.

                        • rrschmid
                          Message 13 of 26 , Apr 14, 2011
                            I checked the switch/motor function on my 7X12 Mini-lathe and if the switch is moved to the center off position while the motor is running the current to the motor is immediately interrupted. You must set the speed control to zero before the motor will run.

                            As long as the switch is a center off type and the controller is able to sense the change in switch position adding reversing to the mill should not be a problem.

                            I would not try to use a SPDT switch as this may not signal the controller that the switch position has changed. Be safe.
                            Cheers,
                            Rich Schmidt

                            Message 14 of 26 , Apr 15, 2011
                              On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 04:01:25 -0000, you wrote:

                              >I checked the switch/motor function on my 7X12 Mini-lathe and if the switch is moved to the center off position while the motor is running the current to the motor is immediately interrupted. You must set the speed control to zero before the motor will run.

                              That's the later ones. Mine is not wired like that. You can run
                              from forward at any speed to reverse without having to restart/reset
                              the speed control.

                              Harvey

                              Message 15 of 26 , Apr 16, 2011
                                Thanks for the advice. and thanks for the warning . I certainly will keep that in mind if I do replace the switch. I like the interlock feature and will look for one like that if I change it. I was more or less thinking of using it for tapping bigger than #10 taps. With the gas pressure cylinder which I have replaced the spring counter balancer it is not as easy to move the head up and down when you take it out of the feed by the .001 mode. It lost some of it's sensitivity.
                                You can call me Boot or Bill the same handle.

                                --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Randy Smith <randyrls@...> wrote:

                                > Bill; The posts you have received are good ones, but I will add a
                                > caution that you may already know....
                                >
                                > You MUST MUST MUST stop the spindle before moving the switch. The speed
                                > controller will be damaged or destroyed if you flip the switch while the
                                > mill is turning. Never move the switch while the spindle is in motion.
                                >
                                > Some speed controllers have a center interlock on the direction switch
                                > that prevents you from moving the switch directly from forward to reverse.
                                >
                                > Sorry to be so firm about it, just making sure you understand that it is
                                > important.
                                >

                                > Later.... Randy S
                                > Practice random kindness and commit senseless acts of beauty.
                                >

                                > On 4/12/2011 9:56 PM, taney.bill wrote:
                                > > Has anyone put a reverse switch on a Harbor Freight Mini-Mill? And if
                                > > so,whatkind and how did you do it?

                              • November X-Ray
                                Message 16 of 26 , Apr 16, 2011
                                  Have you looked at a tapping head like Tapmatic, these self reverse and most are adjustable for torque? Might be a more viable option than a reverse switch that could potentially damage your mill.

                                  Thanks for the advice. and thanks for the warning . I certainly will keep that in mind if I do replace the switch. I like the interlock feature and will look for one like that if I change it. I was more or less thinking of using it for tapping bigger than #10 taps. With the gas pressure cylinder which I have replaced the spring counter balancer it is not as easy to move the head up and down when you take it out of the feed by the .001 mode. It lost some of it's sensitivity.
                                  You can call me Boot or Bill the same handle.

                                  --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Randy Smith <randyrls@...> wrote:

                                  > Bill; The posts you have received are good ones, but I will add a
                                  > caution that you may already know....
                                  >
                                  > You MUST MUST MUST stop the spindle before moving the switch. The speed
                                  > controller will be damaged or destroyed if you flip the switch while the
                                  > mill is turning. Never move the switch while the spindle is in motion.
                                  >
                                  > Some speed controllers have a center interlock on the direction switch
                                  > that prevents you from moving the switch directly from forward to reverse.
                                  >
                                  > Sorry to be so firm about it, just making sure you understand that it is
                                  > important.
                                  >

                                  > Later.... Randy S
                                  > Practice random kindness and commit senseless acts of beauty.
                                  >

                                  > On 4/12/2011 9:56 PM, taney.bill wrote:
                                  > > Has anyone put a reverse switch on a Harbor Freight Mini-Mill? And if
                                  > > so,whatkind and how did you do it?

                                • Arved
                                  Message 17 of 26 , Apr 16, 2011
                                    http://tinyurl.com/3nozsqo

                                    I'd say a reverse switch is a much less expensive option.

                                    Are there Chinese knockoffs that are more affordable?

                                    - Arved
                                    P.S. I actually enjoy hand tapping. :-)

                                    --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, November X-Ray <n8676x@...> wrote:

                                    > Have you looked at a tapping head like Tapmatic, these self reverse and most are
                                    > adjustable for torque? Might be a more viable option than a reverse switch that
                                    > could potentially damage your mill.
                                    >

                                    > ________________________________

                                  • CNC 6-axis Designs
                                    Message 18 of 26 , Apr 17, 2011
                                      Here you go ... under 100$ new.
                                      http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww.chronos.ltd.uk%2f&WD=tapping&PN=Soba-Tapping-Attachment-M3-M12.html%23a140020#a140020

                                      Chronos ships worldwide, and the stuff is good.
                                      No tax on buying into the us.

                                      If you dont have an M2 socket, you could put it into a Mt2 sleeve.

                                      Message 19 of 26 , Apr 17, 2011
                                        Yes, there are cheaper Chinese knock-offs available, check out WT Tools. I tap with my mini mill all the time and just lightly tighten the tap in the drill chuck and then loosen the tap at the bottom of the hole and then move the head out of the way.

                                        I'd say a reverse switch is a much less expensive option.

                                        Are there Chinese knockoffs that are more affordable?

                                        - Arved
                                        P.S. I actually enjoy hand tapping. :-)

                                        --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, November X-Ray <n8676x@...> wrote:

                                        > Have you looked at a tapping head like Tapmatic, these self reverse and most are
                                        > adjustable for torque? Might be a more viable option than a reverse switch that
                                        > could potentially damage your mill.

                                      • Jim Good
                                        Message 20 of 26 , Apr 22, 2011
                                          A machine mount tap handle seems like a simple solution to most of my tapping difficulties (having to remove work piece to fit the tap and handle into place, getting the tap started straight). There's an example on this page: http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/117/2519/=bzk05y

                                          If others have tried this, I'd appreciate input before I buy one.

                                          Thanks,
                                          Jim
                                        • michael kolchins
                                          Message 21 of 26 , Apr 28, 2011
                                            Jim ,you can solve your tapping problems easily by making your own tap holder for the mill or lathe.Some,not all,tap wrenches have a hole in the top that will accomadate a small pin. When the pin is in the chuck and down into the tap wrench ,the tap is centered.
                                            I just take any scrap. hex,square, round stock or anything that is scrap and bore a hole for the tap in one end and another hole for the pin on the other end.Then I measure the tap length to the center of the flat spot
                                            on the tap shank.I bore and tap for a 5/44 set screw.Now the tap is secure in the holder. I then bore for a cross handle and install it.If you use square or hex stock you could get away without the handle,turn with a wrench.
                                            I took a small piece of 3/8"round stock 2" long and.turned the end down to .122 x  .500 for the pin.The hole in the tap holder is .125
                                            You can make several holders if you like,you don't have to change taps that way.I use the same set up in the lathe.
                                            mike

                                            Message 22 of 26 , Apr 28, 2011
                                              Thanks. I'll definitely try this!

                                              Jim

                                              On Apr 28, 2011, at 6:04 PM, michael kolchins wrote:

                                              > Jim ,you can solve your tapping problems easily by making your own tap holder for the mill or lathe.Some,not all,tap wrenches have a hole in the top that will accomadate a small pin. When the pin is in the chuck and down into the tap wrench ,the tap is centered.
                                              > I just take any scrap. hex,square, round stock or anything that is scrap and bore a hole for the tap in one end and another hole for the pin on the other end.Then I measure the tap length to the center of the flat spot
                                              > on the tap shank.I bore and tap for a 5/44 set screw.Now the tap is secure in the holder. I then bore for a cross handle and install it.If you use square or hex stock you could get away without the handle,turn with a wrench.
                                              > I took a small piece of 3/8"round stock 2" long and.turned the end down to .122 x .500 for the pin.The hole in the tap holder is .125
                                              > You can make several holders if you like,you don't have to change taps that way.I use the same set up in the lathe.
                                              > mike

                                            • equalizer700
                                              Message 23 of 26 , Apr 29, 2011
                                                I have a similar device I got from LMS, and I haven't broken a tap since I got it. The LMS one is spring loaded and takes up more vertical space, so if I had to do it again I would get the one you're looking at. My usual process (before recent CNC upgrade!) was to drill the pilot hole and then swap in the tap guide before moving the table. Perfect alignment every time, no broken taps.

                                                --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Jim Good <jagness@...> wrote:

                                                > A machine mount tap handle seems like a simple solution to most of my tapping difficulties (having to remove work piece to fit the tap and handle into place, getting the tap started straight). There's an example on this page: http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/117/2519/=bzk05y
                                                >
                                                > If others have tried this, I'd appreciate input before I buy one.
                                                >
                                                > Thanks,
                                                > Jim

                                              • Jim E.
                                                Message 24 of 26 , Apr 29, 2011
                                                  I'm sure I'm doing it all wrong, but after drilling the hole I mount the
                                                  tap in the drill chuck and either

                                                  a. turn it by hand while applying downward pressure until it slips in
                                                  the chuck, or
                                                  b. with the motor at the LOWEST speed apply downward pressure and allow
                                                  tapping until the motor stalls

                                                  Following either of those, the tap has aligned itself to the point I can
                                                  continue tapping just using a tap handle.

                                                  Or, I use my OMW tapping tool
                                                  <http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?view=classic&ProductID=2567>...

                                                  Graciously,
                                                  Jim E.