Re: slitting saws

  • jjfear
    Message 1 of 15 , May 10, 2003
      Hi Rick,

      You didn't have any trouble with the blade spinning without a Key on
      the arbor? Just curious.

      Jerry Fear

      -- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Rick Kruger <krugerr@p...> wrote:
      > I definitely agree with the comments about slow speed. Not sure if the
      > slowest speed is the one, but its definitely a slow spindle speed.
      Kinda
      > like thinking of a thinking of a single tooth, single point cutting
      tool
      > surface speed.
      >
      > Attached is a photo of a slitting saw arbor I made, from 1" bar stock
      > (12L14 I think, but drill rod would be a better choice). Fits 5/8" dia
      > arbor hole with a 1/2" shank to fit a 1/2" end mill holder. I used a
      > flathead socket screw for its low profile.
      >
      > I cut the 1/8" deep x 3" long slot in the boring bar sleeve (drill rod)
      > using multiple passes. Probably no more than 0.050" depth cuts.
      Cutting

    • dswr@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 15 , May 10, 2003
        I turned one out of 1" mild steel, very similar to the one in the photo.
        Followed the suggestions of Rudy Kouhoupt in an article in a 1982 HSM.

        Mine differs from the photo in that it has a pin to engage the key slot
        on the saw blade. (this positive drive could be detrimental to the gears
        on a mini mill, if a crash occurs) Also it tightens with a socket head
        screw. (i like yours better, more clearance) Mine is custom made for a
        particular saw blade, which limits it's usefulness.

        The shank has a flat, as I use mine in a endmill holder.

        As for speed, I think you should consider the circumference of the saw
        and calculate the surface speed recommended for the material your are
        working with and reduce it to about 2/3 or less.

        Leo (pearland, tx)
        Message 3 of 15 , May 10, 2003
          Thanks Ed, my girlfriend is a craft store junkie. We
          know ALL about hot melt glue around here.

          Barry Young

          http://search.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 15 , May 10, 2003
            Hey Rick:

            Nice arbor! I know what you mean about runout. I have
            used some extremely expensive commercial equipment
            with slotting/slitting saws. They all runout. I think
            it is because of a couple of things. Nothing is
            perfect and any variation in feedrate would sound
            exactly like runout in the saw.

            Barry Young

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            > >The New Yahoo! Search - Faster. Easier. Bingo.
            > ><http://search.yahoo.com>http://search.yahoo.com
            > >
            > >Yahoo! Groups
            >
            >Sponsor<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705063697:HM/A=1564415/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60164784&partid=3170658>

            > ><http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>Yahoo! Terms of
            > Service.

            > ATTACHMENT part 2 image/jpeg name=SlittingSaw.jpg;
            x-mac-type=4A504547; x-mac-creator=4A565752

            http://search.yahoo.com
          • Rick Kruger
            Message 5 of 15 , May 10, 2003
              Not that I'm aware of, but I'm not sure how I'd tell if it did a
              little. I've considered putting in a pin to act as a key.

              Rick

              --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "jjfear" <jjfear@i...> wrote:
              > Hi Rick,
              >
              > You didn't have any trouble with the blade spinning without a Key on
              > the arbor? Just curious.
              >
              > Jerry Fear

            • Rick Kruger
              Message 6 of 15 , May 10, 2003
                Thanks. Hadn't considered the effect of variable feed rate.

                Rick

                --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Barry Young <barryjyoung@y...>
                wrote:

                > Hey Rick:
                >
                > Nice arbor! I know what you mean about runout. I have
                > used some extremely expensive commercial equipment
                > with slotting/slitting saws. They all runout. I think
                > it is because of a couple of things. Nothing is
                > perfect and any variation in feedrate would sound
                > exactly like runout in the saw.
                >
                > Barry Young
                >

                > --- Rick Kruger <krugerr@p...> wrote:
                > > I definitely agree with the comments about slow
                > > speed. Not sure if the
                > > slowest speed is the one, but its definitely a slow
                > > spindle speed. Kinda
                > > like thinking of a thinking of a single tooth,
                > > single point cutting tool
                > > surface speed.
                > >
                > > Attached is a photo of a slitting saw arbor I made,
                > > from 1" bar stock
                > > (12L14 I think, but drill rod would be a better
                > > choice). Fits 5/8" dia
                > > arbor hole with a 1/2" shank to fit a 1/2" end mill
                > > holder. I used a
                > > flathead socket screw for its low profile.
                > >
                > > I cut the 1/8" deep x 3" long slot in the boring bar
                > > sleeve (drill rod)
                > > using multiple passes. Probably no more than 0.050"
                > > depth cuts. Cutting
                > > fluid was regular old Tap Magic Cutting Fluid. I
                > > think feed speed is also
                > > a factor. Going too fast could jam the saw and
                > > cause a gear crash as has
                > > been commented on. Too fast a spindle speed would
                > > dull the teeth more than
                > > crash the head, in my view, unless the feed speed
                > > was too high also. I
                > > would agree with the rationale of using as deep a
                > > cut as possible, rather
                > > than multiple light passes, as each cut just dulls
                > > the teeth more, but
                > > that's as much as I was comfortable with, working by
                > > feel as much as anything.
                > >
                > > One thing I've noticed is that the saw does not seem
                > > to run concentric as
                > > there is uneven cutting as it moves thru the cut.
                > > Could be just the
                > > misalignment allowed by the arbor shoulder being
                > > undersize, but I don't
                > > know how much closer I'd want to get. The arbor is
                > > 0.6235" and the saw
                > > 0.6245", and I'm not likely to remake the arbor to
                > > find out.
                > >
                > > Rick
              • fromday2
                Message 7 of 15 , May 10, 2003
                  I bought a cheap slitting saw arbor, did not like it because of too
                  much runout, bought another, it was not any better. I made one with
                  a 1" hub from 1 1/4" 10L14 bar stock and it is better than the
                  purchased ones. It was made on the mini-lathe turning the shank and
                  hub diameters without changing the setup, the stock was held in a
                  chuck and supported with a dead center. There is no key to engage
                  the keyway in the saw blades.

                  I use it in the 1/2" collet that comes with the mill. It still gives
                  a little of the rrrup, rrrup, rrrup, sound as it cuts proving that
                  the teeth are not running exactly concentric with the spindle but it
                  still works very well.

                  I find that very slow rpm and cutting fluid works best, I tend to
                  make deep cuts rather then lots of shallow cuts. I have on occasion
                  made cuts over 1/2" deep in steel and 3/4" in hard bronze.

                  HTH

                  Al Day

                • dswr@webtv.net
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 11, 2003
                    I bought a slitting saw holder (import) from WT. It is one of those
                    which will accept a range of center holes. It has no key. I have used it
                    for slicing through aluminum with a 3" OD saw with no slippage that I
                    could detect.

                    I think that in the event of too aggressive of a feed, that having the
                    blade slip would be a real advantage in protecting the mini mill's
                    "plastic drive".

                    Leo (pearland, tx)

                    BTW; one thing i have noticed is that when the saw cuts through the last
                    connecting bridge of material, the loose part is slung away from the
                    mill and has an uneven surface at that point. any suggestions on how to
                    prevent this?
                  • dswr@webtv.net
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 11, 2003
                      Oops!

                      One more point that I think would be important! A conventional cut is
                      called for here. A climb cut would be asking for trouble!

                      Leo (pearland, tx)