RE: [GrizHFMinimill] Digest Number 432

  • Robert Sigler
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2003
      I think the way I would approach this, based on the need to be *exactly*
      centered through the length of your shaft, would be to start out with a
      shaft larger than 5/8 - say 3/4. I would chuck it up on the lathe then
      center drill and drill through the length of the shaft with the correct
      sized drill or reamer. Then, I would remove the lathe chuck, insert a dead
      center into the lathe spindle and a live center into the tailstock. Put
      your drilled rod between centers and then turn to the final diameter. This
      way your hole will be exactly on center with the outer diameter and won't
      have to worry about your drill wondering while drilling.

      Robert

      Message: 1
      Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 17:36:13 -0000
      From: "randympowell" <stunter2001@...>
      Subject: hole drilling question

      Hi folks,

      I'm making a sort of weird nut. I need to drill a #6 sized hole
      exactly down the center of a piece of 5/8" diameter by 2" long steel
      dowel (lengthwise). I tried centering it up using a rotary table and
      chuck and just drilling the hole down the middle with a drill bit,
      but I haven't been able to get it exactly in the center. The piece is
      centered on the chuck and z-axis, but the drill bit walks around a
      bit and no matter how careful I am, I haven't been able to get it
      exactly in the center. This thing is going to have to spin at about
      11,000 rpm, so it needs to be as exactly in the center as I can make
      it.

      The nut itself is, as noted, will be about 2" long. It will have an
      11mm hex on one end (about 1/2" of the length) and the rest of the
      dowel will
      be turned down to 11/32" with a threaded 7mm hole down the center.

      Hope that's clear. I'm pretty new to machining and haven't worked
      with steel before. Just aluminum.

      Thanks for any help. I've made 3 tries. One pretty close, but no
      cigar. I have a couple of other idea on how to get it done, but
      thought I'd ask the people that actually know what they're doing.

      Randy