Re: Learning

  • lythrypnusdalli
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2011
      One other note. A friend of mine said he felt like he got a lot out of building the Elderberry steam engine kits that Little Machine Shop sells:

      http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3135

      The first one is the launch engine above, followed by a mill engine and a toy loco.

      Most kits out there are basically a set of raw materials along with some dimensioned drawings. The Elderberry kits, by contrast, come with booklets with fairly complete instructions and notes that serve as a good starting point as a first project on the mill and lathe. If you do decide to try them, build them in the above order (they sequentially build on previously covered skills and techniques).
    • Goran Hosinsky
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2011
        I am using the two books by Harold Hall in the Workshop Practice Series
        and I am happy with them:

        Lathework a complete course ISBN-13:978-1-85486-230-3
        Milling a complete course ISBN 978-1-85486-232-7

        Goran
        Canary Islands

        On 2011-02-02 04:19, Joseph Difusco wrote:
        > Well, I missed the Enco mill by-get this- ten minutes! Now that I'm done crying, I wanted to ask yet another question; what are the best books or other resources out there for self-teaching the mill and lathe? I'm going to eventually attend classes at the local community college, but in the meanwhile I wanted to get some good learning/reference materials.

      • Arved
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 2, 2011
          A very good series, even if there are a few "issues." Remember, this is introductory material to get engineering students through a robotics lab class, and is not geared to apprentice machinists.

          mrpete222, a.k.a. "Tubal Cain" has over 150 videos on Youtube:

          http://www.youtube.com/user/mrpete222?feature=chclk#p/a

          Most are directly related to machining. Some are related to small engines and don't directly relate to machining, and there are two or three videos of his grandson. VERY HIGH signal to noise ratio. :-)

          It's interesting to see things done on the Bridgeport Mill, and I can't help but translate in my mind how those things would/could be done on my SX2, in miniature.

          Warmest regards,
          - Arved

          --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "lythrypnusdalli" <yg@...> wrote:

          > >what are the best books or other resources out there for self-
          > >teaching the mill and lathe? I'm going to eventually attend
          > >classes at the local community college, but in the meanwhile
          > >I wanted to get some good learning/reference materials.
          >
          > I enjoyed watching MIT's series of videos on the machine shop.
          >
          > http://techtv.mit.edu/videos/142-machine-shop-1

        • Joseph Difusco
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 2, 2011
            Thanks for the info, guys! I'm watching the videos now, and I'll be ordering the books on payday. Much appreciated!
          • mattdbartlett
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 2, 2011
              This guy is a retired shop teacher, and has bunch (over 100) videos on machine shop technique, tools, etc. They are not geared towards the minis, but they are very educational, and very well done.

              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 2, 2011
                Is that the same Tubal Cain who wrote some books in the Workshop
                Practice Series?
                Goran

                On 2011-02-02 17:26, mattdbartlett wrote:
                > This guy is a retired shop teacher, and has bunch (over 100) videos on machine shop technique, tools, etc. They are not geared towards the minis, but they are very educational, and very well done.
                >
                > http://www.youtube.com/user/mrpete222
              • oldstudentmsgt
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 2, 2011
                  No, that Tubal Cain is long gone. IIRC he says so in his comments. Assumuing of course that the guy pointed to is also the MrPete222 (IIRC) the user name on You Tube.

                  Bill in OKC

                  --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Goran Hosinsky <ea8yu@...> wrote:

                  > Is that the same Tubal Cain who wrote some books in the Workshop
                  > Practice Series?
                  > Goran
                  >
                  > On 2011-02-02 17:26, mattdbartlett wrote:
                  > > This guy is a retired shop teacher, and has bunch (over 100) videos on machine shop technique, tools, etc. They are not geared towards the minis, but they are very educational, and very well done.
                  > >
                  > > http://www.youtube.com/user/mrpete222

                • onelakedesign
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 3, 2011
                    If I remember correctly he referred to himself as Tubal Cain two in the first couple of
                    videos. Later he dropped the two. Just guessing but he probably the thought the
                    Tubal Cain II reference was to obscure and possibly confusing.
                    Anyway, I've really enjoyed his videos and have learned a lot from them.

                    -Charles