Wholesale tool mini mill

  • David
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2011
      seeing as how no one makes kits that fit the mini mill I have or it seems like none fit (Air Spring) I cobbled together my own belt drive for my Wholesale Tool MIni Mill. Its not pretty but then neither am I, it was fun and I do say that for the first time of cutting sheave grooves I did pretty good I still have some cleanup to do on the mounting plates and have to get a drive belt to replace the half of a vacumn cleaner belt that I have running on the edge of the sheave grooves will post a picture and a link after I take some.

      David
    • David
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2011
        I put some pictures in an ablum titled superdaves toys

        David

        --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "David" <superdave257@...> wrote:

        > seeing as how no one makes kits that fit the mini mill I have or it seems like none fit (Air Spring) I cobbled together my own belt drive for my Wholesale Tool MIni Mill. Its not pretty but then neither am I, it was fun and I do say that for the first time of cutting sheave grooves I did pretty good I still have some cleanup to do on the mounting plates and have to get a drive belt to replace the half of a vacumn cleaner belt that I have running on the edge of the sheave grooves will post a picture and a link after I take some.
        >

        > David

      • Mike Payson
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 1, 2011
          Are you sure none of the kits fit that mill? It looks like a standard Sieg X2 to me, but sometimes it can be hard to spot the clones so I could be wrong.

          My guess is that it s the same, but that it is not listed as compatible since Wholesale Tool has not carried them for that long.

          I would email LMS to confirm, but I bet this kit should work fine for an air spring conversion even though your mill is not listed as compatible:

          http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2258&category=879658189

          On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 8:56 AM, David <superdave257@...> wrote:
          seeing as how no one makes kits that fit the mini mill I have or it seems like none fit (Air Spring) I cobbled together my own belt drive for my Wholesale Tool MIni Mill. Its not pretty but then neither am I, it was fun and I do say that for the first time of cutting sheave grooves I did pretty good I still have some cleanup to do on the mounting plates and have to get a drive belt to replace the half of a vacumn cleaner belt that I have running on the edge of the sheave grooves will post a picture and a link after I take some.

          David

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
             GrizHFMinimill-digest@yahoogroups.com
             GrizHFMinimill-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • David
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 1, 2011
            well the air spring kit that LMS sold did not fit, I bought it, where the strut is suppose to fit inside the column it won't because there is a rib inside the column to stiffen it that won't allow the spring to fit. had to mount in on the outside. the Rack Gear is also wrong. I had to shim the one that they sent out and 1/8 of an inch plus the holes were all wrong. its a mote point now as I installed it.

            I also just finished the belt drive conversion, let me be the first to say that its not the prettiest has some sharp square corners but it works. got the belt from O'Riellys auto parts on New Years Day,

            anyway I put a little video on the files that has it running.

            still have to pull the gears out of the head there going into another project as soon as I finish my coffee roaster.

            --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Mike Payson <mike@...> wrote:

            > Are you sure none of the kits fit that mill? It looks like a standard Sieg
            > X2 to me, but sometimes it can be hard to spot the clones so I could be
            > wrong.
            >
            > My guess is that it s the same, but that it is not listed as compatible
            > since Wholesale Tool has not carried them for that long.
            >
            > I would email LMS to confirm, but I bet this kit should work fine for an air
            > spring conversion even though your mill is not listed as compatible:
            >
            > http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2258&category=879658189
            >

            > On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 8:56 AM, David <superdave257@...> wrote:
            >
            > > seeing as how no one makes kits that fit the mini mill I have or it seems
            > > like none fit (Air Spring) I cobbled together my own belt drive for my
            > > Wholesale Tool MIni Mill. Its not pretty but then neither am I, it was fun
            > > and I do say that for the first time of cutting sheave grooves I did pretty
            > > good I still have some cleanup to do on the mounting plates and have to get
            > > a drive belt to replace the half of a vacumn cleaner belt that I have
            > > running on the edge of the sheave grooves will post a picture and a link
            > > after I take some.
            > >

            > > David

          • David
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 1, 2011
              I couldn't get the file into the files section so I put it on YouTube

              heres the link

              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoUXGEEzaj4

              David

              --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "David" <superdave257@...> wrote:

              > well the air spring kit that LMS sold did not fit, I bought it, where the strut is suppose to fit inside the column it won't because there is a rib inside the column to stiffen it that won't allow the spring to fit. had to mount in on the outside. the Rack Gear is also wrong. I had to shim the one that they sent out and 1/8 of an inch plus the holes were all wrong. its a mote point now as I installed it.
              >
              > I also just finished the belt drive conversion, let me be the first to say that its not the prettiest has some sharp square corners but it works. got the belt from O'Riellys auto parts on New Years Day,
              >
              > anyway I put a little video on the files that has it running.
              >
              > still have to pull the gears out of the head there going into another project as soon as I finish my coffee roaster.
              >
              > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Mike Payson <mike@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Are you sure none of the kits fit that mill? It looks like a standard Sieg
              > > X2 to me, but sometimes it can be hard to spot the clones so I could be
              > > wrong.
              > >
              > > My guess is that it s the same, but that it is not listed as compatible
              > > since Wholesale Tool has not carried them for that long.
              > >
              > > I would email LMS to confirm, but I bet this kit should work fine for an air
              > > spring conversion even though your mill is not listed as compatible:
              > >
              > > http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2258&category=879658189
              > >

              > > On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 8:56 AM, David <superdave257@> wrote:
              > >
              > > > seeing as how no one makes kits that fit the mini mill I have or it seems
              > > > like none fit (Air Spring) I cobbled together my own belt drive for my
              > > > Wholesale Tool MIni Mill. Its not pretty but then neither am I, it was fun
              > > > and I do say that for the first time of cutting sheave grooves I did pretty
              > > > good I still have some cleanup to do on the mounting plates and have to get
              > > > a drive belt to replace the half of a vacumn cleaner belt that I have
              > > > running on the edge of the sheave grooves will post a picture and a link
              > > > after I take some.
              > > >

              > > > David

            • J. Fox
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 2, 2011
                Looks good! I'm in the process of building a belt drive for mine too. Making a V-pulley on the lathe has been a learning experience. What plans did you use?

                --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "David" <superdave257@...> wrote:

                > I put some pictures in an ablum titled superdaves toys

                > David
                >
                > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "David" <superdave257@> wrote:
                > >
                > > seeing as how no one makes kits that fit the mini mill I have or it seems like none fit (Air Spring) I cobbled together my own belt drive for my Wholesale Tool MIni Mill. Its not pretty but then neither am I, it was fun and I do say that for the first time of cutting sheave grooves I did pretty good I still have some cleanup to do on the mounting plates and have to get a drive belt to replace the half of a vacumn cleaner belt that I have running on the edge of the sheave grooves will post a picture and a link after I take some.
                > >

                > > David

              • David
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 2, 2011
                  the ones from the file section titled mini mill belt drive conversion, had to make several changes to them do to my mill

                  --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "J. Fox" <jdfox316@...> wrote:

                  > Looks good! I'm in the process of building a belt drive for mine too. Making a V-pulley on the lathe has been a learning experience. What plans did you use?
                  >

                  > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "David" <superdave257@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I put some pictures in an ablum titled superdaves toys

                  > > David
                  > >
                  > > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "David" <superdave257@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > seeing as how no one makes kits that fit the mini mill I have or it seems like none fit (Air Spring) I cobbled together my own belt drive for my Wholesale Tool MIni Mill. Its not pretty but then neither am I, it was fun and I do say that for the first time of cutting sheave grooves I did pretty good I still have some cleanup to do on the mounting plates and have to get a drive belt to replace the half of a vacumn cleaner belt that I have running on the edge of the sheave grooves will post a picture and a link after I take some.
                  > > >

                  > > > David

                • David
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 2, 2011
                    the v=grooves I cut to depth with a parting tool then plunge cut them with a HSS tool ground to the angle needed and opened them to the width, I found the belt at O'Rielly's auto parts for $7.00, if that helps.

                    I also purchased a broach for the 3MM keyway and a 10 MM bushing so I could keep the gear incase I needed it, plus I figured I would need the broach for other things

                    David