Parallel set from Harbor Freight

  • rsimonus
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 6, 2010
      I want to know if anyone have use 20 piece parallel set from Harbor Freight. items 789. I was thinking to order it. But I check online and did not tell me what kind of metal are they and what size. 1/2" ot 1 5/8" I need to know what size for each pair of ten.

      Reid
    • phil_mattison
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 6, 2010
        I have a set of those. 10 pairs from 1/2" up to 1 5/8" in 1/8" steps. Each bar is 1/8" thick, made from some kind of steel. I don't think it's stainless, so I keep them oiled. Handy for propping up things in the vise.

        --Phil M.

        --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "rsimonus" <reidsim@...> wrote:

        > I want to know if anyone have use 20 piece parallel set from Harbor Freight. items 789. I was thinking to order it. But I check online and did not tell me what kind of metal are they and what size. 1/2" ot 1 5/8" I need to know what size for each pair of ten.
        >
        > Reid

      • upand_at_them
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 6, 2010
          LMS has it for the same price. Might be the same product, but you'll get much better support from LMS.

          --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "rsimonus" <reidsim@...> wrote:

          > I want to know if anyone have use 20 piece parallel set from Harbor Freight. items 789. I was thinking to order it. But I check online and did not tell me what kind of metal are they and what size. 1/2" ot 1 5/8" I need to know what size for each pair of ten.
          >
          > Reid

        • whispers [HM]
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 6, 2010
            Im usually a supporter of 'support'.. ;)

            but what sort of support could there be on a parallel set?

            I guess calling to ask what matierla THEIRS are made of?

            LMS has it for the same price. Might be the same product, but you'll get much better support from LMS.

            --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "rsimonus" <reidsim@...> wrote:

            > I want to know if anyone
            have use 20 piece parallel set from Harbor Freight. items 789. I was thinking to order it. But I check online and did not tell me what kind of metal are they and what size. 1/2" ot 1 5/8" I need to know what size for each pair of ten.

            > Reid

          • Bill Williams
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 6, 2010
              rsimonus wrote:
              > I want to know if anyone have use 20 piece parallel set from Harbor
              > Freight. items 789. I was thinking to order it. But I check online
              > and did not tell me what kind of metal are they and what size. 1/2"
              > ot 1 5/8" I need to know what size for each pair of ten.
              >
              > Reid

              Reid, I think that you will find that they step from 1/2"(4/8) through
              1 5/8" (13/8) by 1/8" increments for 10 pair or 20 parallels! The
              material is problematic but they are usually quite hard! Bill
            • upand_at_them
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 6, 2010
                1. LMS will answer your questions and emails. Try finding someone at HF who knows anything.
                2. If there's something wrong with them LMS will likely ship you a replacement right away instead of waiting for HF.

                --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "whispers [HM]" <whispers007@...> wrote:

                > Im usually a supporter of 'support'.. ;)
                >
                > but what sort of support could there be on a parallel set?
                >
                > I guess calling to ask what matierla THEIRS are made of?
              • Randy Smith
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 6, 2010
                  I have this set of 3" parallels. Very Happy with them.

                  http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1893&category=

                  Unless you have a very wide vise, anything longer than 3" is wasted and
                  the length just gets in the way.

                  --

                  Merry Christmas!
                  In all of history only two have volunteered to die for you....

                  Later.... Randy S
                  Practice random kindness and commit senseless acts of beauty.

                  On 12/6/2010 7:53 PM, upand_at_them wrote:
                  > 1. LMS will answer your questions and emails. Try finding someone at HF who knows anything.
                  > 2. If there's something wrong with them LMS will likely ship you a replacement right away instead of waiting for HF.
                • lhbakeland
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 6, 2010
                    I have both sets. The longer Harbor Freight ones come in handy, sometimes. The LMS set has narrower pieces down to 3/8 inch, I believe. I forgot what the HF ones go down to, but each set has it's uses. That's why I have both sets.

                    No, the set that is longer than 3 inches on a 3 inch vise is NOT wasted. It supports a piece longer than 3 inches and has the advantage of not tilting on the longer pieces if the clamp force on the vise slips. Also, a small wire through the holes can help the either parallel from sliding out from under the work piece during machining due to vibration.

                    From my experience,

                    Leo

                    --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Randy Smith <randyrls@...> wrote:

                    > I have this set of 3" parallels. Very Happy with them.
                    >
                    > http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1893&category=
                    >

                    > Unless you have a very wide vise, anything longer than 3" is wasted and
                    > the length just gets in the way.
                    >

                    > --
                    >
                    > Merry Christmas!
                    > In all of history only two have volunteered to die for you....
                    > Jesus died to save your soul,
                    > The American serviceman died to save your freedom.
                    > Remember both at this time of year......
                    >

                    > Later.... Randy S
                    > Practice random kindness and commit senseless acts of beauty.
                    >

                    > On 12/6/2010 7:53 PM, upand_at_them wrote:
                    > > 1. LMS will answer your questions and emails. Try finding someone at HF who knows anything.
                    > > 2. If there's something wrong with them LMS will likely ship you a replacement right away instead of waiting for HF.

                  • crknox2001
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 7, 2010
                      ...and don't forget, you can make your own from aluminum or whatever is handy.

                      Charlie