Possible source of bearing wear \ lumpy bearings

  • redbaron192redbaron192
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 5, 2010
      Hi All,

      While changing my bearings for taper ones, I think I have just found out why the original ones (hardly used) were occasionally feeling lumpy during rotation of the spindle...

      I originally thought it was down to perhaps tapping the draw bar to hard to remove MT3 tooling but it appears to be a bit more serious in terms of long term mill use...

      Even though the inside of the head casting looked clean it still contained quite a bit of 'loose' material, probably casting sand or rough surface skin iron by the looks of what i have removed.

      Luckily as I have not finished the bearing job yet the casting is empty and fairly free of grease. I used a dremel tool to lightly scrub down the insides followed by a brushing out with a metal brush. This removed about a tablespoon or two of sand \ particles.

      I think what was happening was when hitting the draw bar to release tooling, it would knock loose some of this material which would drop down onto the lower bearing, occasionally finding its way into it and thus causing the lumpiness.
    • warren hughes
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 5, 2010
        Makes perfect since . When my father bought a new gear head lathe we had sand coming out from under everything. major tear down and cleaning. big pain but it is now as smooth as glass to run. Warren