Re: Nano Tram - Anyone have one?

  • rich
    Message 1 of 41 , Oct 7, 2010
      i made the parallel and it was passed to use at work ,it's within .00002....i also have surface plate to check all my work ..i'm so used to using an indicator ,it's second nature ...yes i do check the table first and work my way up .....also if it's within .001 at 12 inch's,as they say close enough...hahaha ...not so on one job ,we had to do matched valves to within 25 mill....

      --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "rick_kruger" <krugerr@...> wrote:

      > I'm glad others are chiming in on this. I said much the same in mid-Sept. but the furvor of using a special device seemed to take over. I've not tried using a parallel on the table as the tramming reference, but it makes sense, using the same piece of steel on both swings, left and right. Whatever errors there are with that piece, they are the same on both sides. I think I still prefer just indicating directly off of the table, but will try the parallel method.
      >
      > Rick
      >

      > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "rich" <yooperfork@> wrote:
      > >
      > > thank you IAN.....traming the mill or any machine has been done that way for a long time ...it's easy and you go faster everytime you do it ...it's the #1 thing you do everytime u walk up to use a machine ....traming the vise is a must ....Rich
      > >
      > > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Ian Newman <ian_new@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi,
      > > >
      > > > I agree with Barry and Rich in that I cannot see any advantage in using nano tram or other dual dial type devices.
      > > >
      > > > It is inevitable that the device will introduce additional errors as it includes an additional bearing / bush.
      > > >
      > > > In order to set the device up, it requires the arm to swing across the surface to be trammed and the dials adjusted to give a zeroed reading - this is no easier than swinging a single DI and using the readings to correct the tram errors directly.
      > > >
      > > > As the tramming does not involve turning the mill spindle, any error in the alignment of the axis of the bush and the main bar will result in the nano tram being aligned correctly by adjusting the spindle out of alignment.
      > > >
      > > > In my opinion it is both simpler and more accurate to use a single DI on an extension arm clamped in the spindle collet.
      > > >
      > > > Ian.

    • johann_ohnesorg
      Message 41 of 41 , Oct 9, 2010
        In my opinion,
        it´s a solution to a problem that is non existent.

        I liked this comment a lot:
        well i guess i'm old and old school ...retired toolmaker ...i use a 1/4"rod bent 6"x8",a 1x2 ground parallel.a good old starret last word.put the parallel.on the table tram both ways x and then turn the par.90degrees and do y ..then put the vise on tram the bed of the vise so i know nothing is under itthen tram the vise jaw to make sure it's staight ...never tilt the head only the part .been doing that for 35 years and had good luck
        What´s wrong with a DI on an arm on the spindle? It will tell you how much the machine is out of angle, you simply have to divide the difference between the lefthand and the righthand readings by two and knock the snugged up head sidewards by this amount to end up dead square.
        Lazy guys would use two DIs on a beam, maybe with a given distance. With this gadget, angles and tapers can be measured with ease.

        To tram the mini, take off the Z-axis square and gage it against something really flat. Afterwards you know why you have to shim. The really bearing surface is pretty small.

        Cheers,
        Johann