Re: Rotary table

  • ken_mays
    Message 1 of 30 , Mar 14, 2003
      I see now. I hadn't really tried to mount mine yet, but it is too wide to bolt it directly to the table. Thanks for the hint.

      > Ken-
      > Look in the group PHOTO section under Rotary Table.
      > My HF-RT is mounted to the mill via a 3/8 thick aluminum plate. one
      > of the RT mount notches lines up with my mill table slot the other
      > one is hainging out in space....
      > It IS a Doable mount & will perform well.
    • Ian Foster
      Message 2 of 30 , Apr 2, 2008
        G'day all

        I have an X2 size mini-mill and am considering buying a rotary table.
        The options are 3", 4" and 6". The 3" is too small IMO. I am wondering
        if the 4" is big enough to be useful or if the 6" is too big for the
        mill?
        I have a 4" milling vice (with protractor) and it is just bit on the
        large side.
        Any comments or experience?

        OGTDA
        Regards
        Ian
      • Harvey White
        Message 3 of 30 , Apr 2, 2008
          On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 19:58:49 -0000, you wrote:

          >G'day all
          >
          >I have an X2 size mini-mill and am considering buying a rotary table.
          >The options are 3", 4" and 6". The 3" is too small IMO. I am wondering
          >if the 4" is big enough to be useful or if the 6" is too big for the
          >mill?

          six works for me. Pictures variously at www.dragonworks.info.

          Harvey

          >I have a 4" milling vice (with protractor) and it is just bit on the
          >large side.
          >Any comments or experience?
          >
          >OGTDA
          >Regards
          >Ian
        • Brian Pitt
          Message 4 of 30 , Apr 2, 2008
            On Wednesday 02 April 2008 12:58, Ian Foster wrote:
            > I have an X2 size mini-mill and am considering buying a rotary table.
            > The options are 3", 4" and 6". The 3" is too small IMO. I am wondering
            > if the 4" is big enough to be useful or if the 6" is too big for the
            > mill?
            > I have a 4" milling vice (with protractor) and it is just bit on the
            > large side.
            > Any comments or experience?
            > OGTDA
            > Regards
            > Ian

            I got the 4" and use the chuck adapter plate to mount a faceplate when I need a 6"
            http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/7x10minilathe-photos/photos/view/2dfd?b=2
            the faceplate from the minilathe fits just one way and you need a ball end Allen wrench
            to get to the T-nut screws thru the slots

            Brian
            --
            "Nemo me impune lacesset"
          • Dave Mucha
            Message 5 of 30 , Apr 3, 2008
              Who has the 4 inch on sale ?

              I have seen huge price differences on those things.

              Dave

              --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Foster" <fosterscons@...>
              wrote:

              > G'day all
              >
              > I have an X2 size mini-mill and am considering buying a rotary table.
              > The options are 3", 4" and 6". The 3" is too small IMO. I am wondering
              > if the 4" is big enough to be useful or if the 6" is too big for the
              > mill?
              > I have a 4" milling vice (with protractor) and it is just bit on the
              > large side.
              > Any comments or experience?
              >
              > OGTDA
              > Regards
              > Ian

            • kylejoiner
              Message 6 of 30 , Oct 8, 2008
                Hello,

                I know this has been discussed in the past but I am interested in a
                rotary table and was wondering what the opinions are about the ones
                available on the market. I missed the deal that LMS had recently for
                the 4" with chuck, tailstock and indexing plate. I've seen mention of
                the 6" tables but also mention that they are somewhat big for the mini
                mill. So anyway, which ones do you like? What brand, size and maybe
                what you don't like about them as well?

                Thanks,

                Kyle
              • kylejoiner

                  Message 8 of 30 , Oct 8, 2008
                    On Wednesday 08 October 2008 10:04, kylejoiner wrote:
                    > I've seen mention of the 6" tables but also mention that they are somewhat big for the mini mill.

                    for size the 4" is a better fit ,if you need something bigger now and then you can mount
                    the lathe faceplate on the chuck adapter plate and turn it into a 6"

                    Brian
                    --
                    "Nemo me impune lacesset"
                  • Cliff. Johnston
                    Message 9 of 30 , Oct 8, 2008
                      The general concensus was to buy Phase II.

                      Cliff. Johnston
                      "May the best you've ever seen,
                       Be the worst you'll ever see;"
                      from A Scots Toast by Allan Ramsay

                      Message 10 of 30 , Oct 8, 2008
                        i bought a 4 inch rotary table made in India from Grizzly and sent it back. first of all there was no instructions, and even worse it flat didn't work. i called and sent it back,after a lengthy fight with them i managed to get a refund of the 10% re-stocking fee but not any shipping. i was disappointed with the rotary table and the service. next time i will buy a phase 2 and i think i will try the Little Machine Shop. joe gifford aka argie1891

                        Message 11 of 30 , Oct 8, 2008
                          I purchased one of the LMS 4" tables. This is not a complaint about
                          the LMS unit, it is well made and would work fine on a bigger mill for
                          small pieces. I have had no problems with it, and it seems fairly
                          accurate. All the equipment i've bought from LMS has been good quality.

                          In theory, the rotary table should be an extremely useful piece of
                          equipment for the X2.

                          The REALITY, however, is that even the 4" rotary table is much too big
                          for the mini mill, and is one of the most frustrating pieces of
                          equipment to align and keep clamped.

                          For example, if you wanted to chuck a cd and drill holes through it
                          every 60 degrees, not only would the table be too small to grip it
                          without some sort of jig, but you would likely run out of Z axis
                          unless you use very short drills in a collet vs a chuck or an end
                          mill. And you wouldn't be able to access the locks, because they'd be
                          hidden under the workpiece.

                          And on top of that, you can't put the table in most places on the mini
                          mill because the handle will collide with the X & y handles.

                          And don't get me started on using it lathe-style. In that mode, there
                          is basically no room at all.

                          Setting one of these up is incredibly frustrating - you need every
                          last millimeter of clearance to make it work.

                          By the time you buy a collection of collets to fit drills, along with
                          short drills, and you've spent hours setting up the most simple
                          workpieces, you'll probably be depressed over spending the money on
                          something that is so far from optimal.

                          I'm sure some people on this forum like laboring endlessly over their
                          X2, but that's only fun to me if the chips are flying. For me, using
                          the rotary table on the X2 is the least fun thing in the universe.

                          With an X3 mill, it would probably work OK.

                          Mark

                          --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "kylejoiner" <kylejoiner@...>
                          wrote:

                          > Hello,
                          >
                          > I know this has been discussed in the past but I am interested in a
                          > rotary table and was wondering what the opinions are about the ones
                          > available on the market. I missed the deal that LMS had recently for
                          > the 4" with chuck, tailstock and indexing plate. I've seen mention of
                          > the 6" tables but also mention that they are somewhat big for the mini
                          > mill. So anyway, which ones do you like? What brand, size and maybe
                          > what you don't like about them as well?
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          >
                          > Kyle

                        • Cliff. Johnston
                          Message 12 of 30 , Oct 8, 2008
                            Joe,

                            Just out of curiosity, I've heard that the castings for machinist vices that are made in India are much better looking and better quality than those made in China.  Are you able to tell us anything about the quality of the rotary table casting made in India that you received from Grizzly?

                            Message 13 of 30 , Oct 8, 2008
                              the casting seemed to be good i could not get the adjusting handle on it just wouldnt go it came with the indexing plate on and  when trying to change handle to just make it a rotary table it wouldnt go on. i know i am not using the proper names for these parts but like i said it didnt come with insturctions,parts list or anyother information. my son who is a mechanic also tried to get it to work and couldnt. it just was not working. joe gifford aka argie1891

                              Message 14 of 30 , Oct 8, 2008

                                I’m starting to think that India is just like the other places, just flip a coin to see what you get. I buy a few  things on ebay  from a fellow that brags on all his stuff being India and better made. The last few things were worse than China made. The last India thing was a little hand vice that the wing nut and stud were different threads. But they got the nut on it good enough to ship anyway

                                Message 15 of 30 , Oct 8, 2008
                                  I have the Phase II 6" and 4" rotary tables.
                                  The 4" is more useful as a rotary table than the 6" but less so when
                                  used upright as a dividing head than the 6".
                                  If you're only going to get one determine which you will use it for the
                                  most.
                                  If you plan on primarily using it upright as a dividing head get the 6"
                                  but horizontally as a rotary table get the 4".
                                  Or conversely do I what I eventually did and get a 7" universal dividing
                                  head instead of using a rotary table for that function.
                                  Then the 4" Phase II is the better choice to use strictly as a rotary table.
                                  At least that's my opinion.

                                  John Thornton

                                  kylejoiner wrote:
                                  > Hello,
                                  >
                                  > I know this has been discussed in the past but I am interested in a
                                  > rotary table and was wondering what the opinions are about the ones
                                  > available on the market. I missed the deal that LMS had recently for
                                  > the 4" with chuck, tailstock and indexing plate. I've seen mention of
                                  > the 6" tables but also mention that they are somewhat big for the mini
                                  > mill. So anyway, which ones do you like? What brand, size and maybe
                                  > what you don't like about them as well?
                                  >
                                  > Thanks,
                                  >
                                  > Kyle
                                • C Smith
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Oct 9, 2008
                                    I got the 4-incher from LMS with tailstock and it works for my needs
                                    just fine. I got the divider plates with it too, as this is a more
                                    accurate setup. As others have mentioned, there isn't much room on the
                                    X2 and even a 4 incher seems pretty big to me. I think a 6-incher would
                                    be way too big, as there would be hardly any room for tool clearance or
                                    work movement.
                                    Chris

                                    wrote:

                                    > Hello,
                                    >
                                    > I know this has been discussed in the past but I am interested in a
                                    > rotary table and was wondering what the opinions are about the ones
                                    > available on the market. I missed the deal that LMS had recently for
                                    > the 4" with chuck, tailstock and indexing plate. I've seen mention
                                    of
                                    > the 6" tables but also mention that they are somewhat big for the
                                    mini
                                    > mill. So anyway, which ones do you like? What brand, size and maybe
                                    > what you don't like about them as well?
                                    >
                                    > Thanks,
                                    >
                                    > Kyle

                                  • kylejoiner
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Oct 15, 2008
                                      Has anyone had experience with the rotary table from Micromark? It's
                                      more expensive than the other tables, but they've got it on sale for
                                      $367.90 with dividing plates and a tailstock.

                                      Kyle

                                      --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, joe gifford <argie1891@...>

                                    • fmvf@sbcglobal.net
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Jul 15 8:27 PM
                                        SirJohnofYork is absolutely right, if you buy a R/T without dividing plates you'll soon wish you had. I got one a while back and tried to save some money by not getting the dividing plates, big mistake.

                                        I needed to make some gears, the first one went just fine but the second one missed a step somewhere (14.4 degrees per step). Trying to find the mistake is nearly impossible.

                                        I did order a set of dividing plates and even though they claim it was the proper set of plates for the R/T I had they were not. I had to make a adapter to make the plates work with my R/T which in the long run worked out for the best. I made a different friction setup to allow the sector arms to move but to where I could apply the tension needed to keep them from moving on their own.

                                        It's best to get the R/T with the plates, at least they'll be matched to the R/T.

                                        Frank MvF
                                      • John lindo
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Jul 15 10:15 PM
                                          It may be worth considering the 4" inclinable circular table.
                                          with the complete set of indexing plates.
                                          Example You can cut gears with standard cutters and or fly cut.
                                          I recently cut a 29 tooth gear,very difficult using the standard R/T handwheel.
                                          John L Spain

                                          Message 20 of 30 , Jul 16 2:28 AM
                                            --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, John lindo <bechetboat@...> wrote:

                                            > It may be worth considering the 4" inclinable circular table.
                                            > with the complete set of indexing plates.
                                            > Example You can cut gears with standard cutters and or fly cut.
                                            > I recently cut a 29 tooth gear,very difficult using the standard R/T handwheel.
                                            > John L Spain
                                            >

                                            > ________________________________

                                            Thanks all ,looks like best that I waited and get the whole thing at once.

                                            Jeff
                                          • gerry waclawiak
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Jul 16 5:29 AM
                                              Even if you currently think that you have no need of dividing plates now it is well worth considering buying them with your table "just in case"

                                              Buying plates afterwards can be difficult as many people don't stock them separately or will charge a premium price as an "accessory" whereas they are often bundled with a table at relatively little extra cost to sweeten the deal

                                              Gerry W
                                              Leeds UK

                                              To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com

                                              Message 22 of 30 , Jul 17 10:22 AM
                                                I have two thoughts on your buy:

                                                - first, get a 6" table, it fits the mini mill and has space left to fix the part to the table. Even with a 4" chuck on it there is still space left for a workpiece and a tool. The 3" one from the mini lathe is a tight fit. The 6" rotary is maybe 1" higher than the 4" one. Buy a good brand, Vertex may be one (Grizzly sells them relabeled).

                                                - second, in case you´re not electronically inclined, get the dividing plates. All three of them. If you´re fit in the field of electronics then there is a project for you over at the CNC zone: a rotary table driver with a stepper motor and a microcontroller. It will drive the tabel to any wanted angular position, has a constant speed setting, great to mill grooves. Last but not least, it will divide for cutting of gear teeth in a very convenient way. It is driven by a PIC controller and both the layout and the software are free for download.

                                                Cheers,
                                                Johann
                                              • Malcolm Parker-Lisberg
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Jul 17 10:41 AM
                                                  To follow the building of the second choice, see my YouTube video at:
                                                  <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIAeic1DEoc>
                                                  There also videos of it in use on an RF25 mill on there too.

                                                  Malcolm

                                                  Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin
                                                  The writing is on the wall.