Re: Rotary table

  • Dave Jarzyna
    Message 1 of 30 , Mar 13, 2003
      Ken-
      Look in the group PHOTO section under Rotary Table.
      My HF-RT is mounted to the mill via a 3/8 thick aluminum plate. one
      of the RT mount notches lines up with my mill table slot the other
      one is hainging out in space....
      It IS a Doable mount & will perform well.

      --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "ken_mays" <ken_mays@y...>
      wrote:
      > > With the cheap Harbor freight model you will have to
      > > mount it to a steel plate in order to mount it to the mill table
      in
      > > the vertical position as with the adjustable tailstock.
      >
      > Why is that? Do the mounting notches in the table not line up with
      the T-slots in the table? I was figuring on just bolting mine to a
      large angle plate, with the crank handle poking out the same
      direction as the "Y" handwheel.
    • ken_mays
      Message 2 of 30 , Mar 14, 2003
        I see now. I hadn't really tried to mount mine yet, but it is too wide to bolt it directly to the table. Thanks for the hint.

        > Ken-
        > Look in the group PHOTO section under Rotary Table.
        > My HF-RT is mounted to the mill via a 3/8 thick aluminum plate. one
        > of the RT mount notches lines up with my mill table slot the other
        > one is hainging out in space....
        > It IS a Doable mount & will perform well.
      • Ian Foster
        Message 3 of 30 , Apr 2, 2008
          G'day all

          I have an X2 size mini-mill and am considering buying a rotary table.
          The options are 3", 4" and 6". The 3" is too small IMO. I am wondering
          if the 4" is big enough to be useful or if the 6" is too big for the
          mill?
          I have a 4" milling vice (with protractor) and it is just bit on the
          large side.
          Any comments or experience?

          OGTDA
          Regards
          Ian
        • Harvey White
          Message 4 of 30 , Apr 2, 2008
            On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 19:58:49 -0000, you wrote:

            >G'day all
            >
            >I have an X2 size mini-mill and am considering buying a rotary table.
            >The options are 3", 4" and 6". The 3" is too small IMO. I am wondering
            >if the 4" is big enough to be useful or if the 6" is too big for the
            >mill?

            six works for me. Pictures variously at www.dragonworks.info.

            Harvey

            >I have a 4" milling vice (with protractor) and it is just bit on the
            >large side.
            >Any comments or experience?
            >
            >OGTDA
            >Regards
            >Ian
          • Brian Pitt
            Message 5 of 30 , Apr 2, 2008
              On Wednesday 02 April 2008 12:58, Ian Foster wrote:
              > I have an X2 size mini-mill and am considering buying a rotary table.
              > The options are 3", 4" and 6". The 3" is too small IMO. I am wondering
              > if the 4" is big enough to be useful or if the 6" is too big for the
              > mill?
              > I have a 4" milling vice (with protractor) and it is just bit on the
              > large side.
              > Any comments or experience?
              > OGTDA
              > Regards
              > Ian

              I got the 4" and use the chuck adapter plate to mount a faceplate when I need a 6"
              http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/7x10minilathe-photos/photos/view/2dfd?b=2
              the faceplate from the minilathe fits just one way and you need a ball end Allen wrench
              to get to the T-nut screws thru the slots

              Brian
              --
              "Nemo me impune lacesset"
            • Dave Mucha
              Message 6 of 30 , Apr 3, 2008
                Who has the 4 inch on sale ?

                I have seen huge price differences on those things.

                Dave

                --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Foster" <fosterscons@...>
                wrote:

                > G'day all
                >
                > I have an X2 size mini-mill and am considering buying a rotary table.
                > The options are 3", 4" and 6". The 3" is too small IMO. I am wondering
                > if the 4" is big enough to be useful or if the 6" is too big for the
                > mill?
                > I have a 4" milling vice (with protractor) and it is just bit on the
                > large side.
                > Any comments or experience?
                >
                > OGTDA
                > Regards
                > Ian

              • kylejoiner
                Message 7 of 30 , Oct 8, 2008
                  Hello,

                  I know this has been discussed in the past but I am interested in a
                  rotary table and was wondering what the opinions are about the ones
                  available on the market. I missed the deal that LMS had recently for
                  the 4" with chuck, tailstock and indexing plate. I've seen mention of
                  the 6" tables but also mention that they are somewhat big for the mini
                  mill. So anyway, which ones do you like? What brand, size and maybe
                  what you don't like about them as well?

                  Thanks,

                  Kyle
                • kylejoiner

                    Message 9 of 30 , Oct 8, 2008
                      On Wednesday 08 October 2008 10:04, kylejoiner wrote:
                      > I've seen mention of the 6" tables but also mention that they are somewhat big for the mini mill.

                      for size the 4" is a better fit ,if you need something bigger now and then you can mount
                      the lathe faceplate on the chuck adapter plate and turn it into a 6"

                      Brian
                      --
                      "Nemo me impune lacesset"
                    • Cliff. Johnston
                      Message 10 of 30 , Oct 8, 2008
                        The general concensus was to buy Phase II.

                        Cliff. Johnston
                        "May the best you've ever seen,
                         Be the worst you'll ever see;"
                        from A Scots Toast by Allan Ramsay

                          Message 12 of 30 , Oct 8, 2008
                            I purchased one of the LMS 4" tables. This is not a complaint about
                            the LMS unit, it is well made and would work fine on a bigger mill for
                            small pieces. I have had no problems with it, and it seems fairly
                            accurate. All the equipment i've bought from LMS has been good quality.

                            In theory, the rotary table should be an extremely useful piece of
                            equipment for the X2.

                            The REALITY, however, is that even the 4" rotary table is much too big
                            for the mini mill, and is one of the most frustrating pieces of
                            equipment to align and keep clamped.

                            For example, if you wanted to chuck a cd and drill holes through it
                            every 60 degrees, not only would the table be too small to grip it
                            without some sort of jig, but you would likely run out of Z axis
                            unless you use very short drills in a collet vs a chuck or an end
                            mill. And you wouldn't be able to access the locks, because they'd be
                            hidden under the workpiece.

                            And on top of that, you can't put the table in most places on the mini
                            mill because the handle will collide with the X & y handles.

                            And don't get me started on using it lathe-style. In that mode, there
                            is basically no room at all.

                            Setting one of these up is incredibly frustrating - you need every
                            last millimeter of clearance to make it work.

                            By the time you buy a collection of collets to fit drills, along with
                            short drills, and you've spent hours setting up the most simple
                            workpieces, you'll probably be depressed over spending the money on
                            something that is so far from optimal.

                            I'm sure some people on this forum like laboring endlessly over their
                            X2, but that's only fun to me if the chips are flying. For me, using
                            the rotary table on the X2 is the least fun thing in the universe.

                            With an X3 mill, it would probably work OK.

                            Mark

                            --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "kylejoiner" <kylejoiner@...>
                            wrote:

                            > Hello,
                            >
                            > I know this has been discussed in the past but I am interested in a
                            > rotary table and was wondering what the opinions are about the ones
                            > available on the market. I missed the deal that LMS had recently for
                            > the 4" with chuck, tailstock and indexing plate. I've seen mention of
                            > the 6" tables but also mention that they are somewhat big for the mini
                            > mill. So anyway, which ones do you like? What brand, size and maybe
                            > what you don't like about them as well?
                            >
                            > Thanks,
                            >
                            > Kyle

                          • Cliff. Johnston
                            Message 13 of 30 , Oct 8, 2008
                              Joe,

                              Just out of curiosity, I've heard that the castings for machinist vices that are made in India are much better looking and better quality than those made in China.  Are you able to tell us anything about the quality of the rotary table casting made in India that you received from Grizzly?

                                Message 15 of 30 , Oct 8, 2008

                                  I’m starting to think that India is just like the other places, just flip a coin to see what you get. I buy a few  things on ebay  from a fellow that brags on all his stuff being India and better made. The last few things were worse than China made. The last India thing was a little hand vice that the wing nut and stud were different threads. But they got the nut on it good enough to ship anyway

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Oct 8, 2008
                                    I have the Phase II 6" and 4" rotary tables.
                                    The 4" is more useful as a rotary table than the 6" but less so when
                                    used upright as a dividing head than the 6".
                                    If you're only going to get one determine which you will use it for the
                                    most.
                                    If you plan on primarily using it upright as a dividing head get the 6"
                                    but horizontally as a rotary table get the 4".
                                    Or conversely do I what I eventually did and get a 7" universal dividing
                                    head instead of using a rotary table for that function.
                                    Then the 4" Phase II is the better choice to use strictly as a rotary table.
                                    At least that's my opinion.

                                    John Thornton

                                    kylejoiner wrote:
                                    > Hello,
                                    >
                                    > I know this has been discussed in the past but I am interested in a
                                    > rotary table and was wondering what the opinions are about the ones
                                    > available on the market. I missed the deal that LMS had recently for
                                    > the 4" with chuck, tailstock and indexing plate. I've seen mention of
                                    > the 6" tables but also mention that they are somewhat big for the mini
                                    > mill. So anyway, which ones do you like? What brand, size and maybe
                                    > what you don't like about them as well?
                                    >
                                    > Thanks,
                                    >
                                    > Kyle
                                  • C Smith
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Oct 9, 2008
                                      I got the 4-incher from LMS with tailstock and it works for my needs
                                      just fine. I got the divider plates with it too, as this is a more
                                      accurate setup. As others have mentioned, there isn't much room on the
                                      X2 and even a 4 incher seems pretty big to me. I think a 6-incher would
                                      be way too big, as there would be hardly any room for tool clearance or
                                      work movement.
                                      Chris

                                      wrote:

                                      > Hello,
                                      >
                                      > I know this has been discussed in the past but I am interested in a
                                      > rotary table and was wondering what the opinions are about the ones
                                      > available on the market. I missed the deal that LMS had recently for
                                      > the 4" with chuck, tailstock and indexing plate. I've seen mention
                                      of
                                      > the 6" tables but also mention that they are somewhat big for the
                                      mini
                                      > mill. So anyway, which ones do you like? What brand, size and maybe
                                      > what you don't like about them as well?
                                      >
                                      > Thanks,
                                      >
                                      > Kyle

                                    • kylejoiner
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Oct 15, 2008
                                        Has anyone had experience with the rotary table from Micromark? It's
                                        more expensive than the other tables, but they've got it on sale for
                                        $367.90 with dividing plates and a tailstock.

                                        Kyle

                                        --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, joe gifford <argie1891@...>

                                      • fmvf@sbcglobal.net
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Jul 15, 2012
                                          SirJohnofYork is absolutely right, if you buy a R/T without dividing plates you'll soon wish you had. I got one a while back and tried to save some money by not getting the dividing plates, big mistake.

                                          I needed to make some gears, the first one went just fine but the second one missed a step somewhere (14.4 degrees per step). Trying to find the mistake is nearly impossible.

                                          I did order a set of dividing plates and even though they claim it was the proper set of plates for the R/T I had they were not. I had to make a adapter to make the plates work with my R/T which in the long run worked out for the best. I made a different friction setup to allow the sector arms to move but to where I could apply the tension needed to keep them from moving on their own.

                                          It's best to get the R/T with the plates, at least they'll be matched to the R/T.

                                          Frank MvF
                                        • John lindo
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Jul 15, 2012
                                            It may be worth considering the 4" inclinable circular table.
                                            with the complete set of indexing plates.
                                            Example You can cut gears with standard cutters and or fly cut.
                                            I recently cut a 29 tooth gear,very difficult using the standard R/T handwheel.
                                            John L Spain

                                            Message 21 of 30 , Jul 16, 2012
                                              --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, John lindo <bechetboat@...> wrote:

                                              > It may be worth considering the 4" inclinable circular table.
                                              > with the complete set of indexing plates.
                                              > Example You can cut gears with standard cutters and or fly cut.
                                              > I recently cut a 29 tooth gear,very difficult using the standard R/T handwheel.
                                              > John L Spain
                                              >

                                              > ________________________________

                                              Thanks all ,looks like best that I waited and get the whole thing at once.

                                              Jeff
                                            • gerry waclawiak
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Jul 16, 2012
                                                Even if you currently think that you have no need of dividing plates now it is well worth considering buying them with your table "just in case"

                                                Buying plates afterwards can be difficult as many people don't stock them separately or will charge a premium price as an "accessory" whereas they are often bundled with a table at relatively little extra cost to sweeten the deal

                                                Gerry W
                                                Leeds UK

                                                To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com

                                                Message 23 of 30 , Jul 17, 2012
                                                  I have two thoughts on your buy:

                                                  - first, get a 6" table, it fits the mini mill and has space left to fix the part to the table. Even with a 4" chuck on it there is still space left for a workpiece and a tool. The 3" one from the mini lathe is a tight fit. The 6" rotary is maybe 1" higher than the 4" one. Buy a good brand, Vertex may be one (Grizzly sells them relabeled).

                                                  - second, in case you´re not electronically inclined, get the dividing plates. All three of them. If you´re fit in the field of electronics then there is a project for you over at the CNC zone: a rotary table driver with a stepper motor and a microcontroller. It will drive the tabel to any wanted angular position, has a constant speed setting, great to mill grooves. Last but not least, it will divide for cutting of gear teeth in a very convenient way. It is driven by a PIC controller and both the layout and the software are free for download.

                                                  Cheers,
                                                  Johann
                                                • Malcolm Parker-Lisberg
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Jul 17, 2012
                                                    To follow the building of the second choice, see my YouTube video at:
                                                    <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIAeic1DEoc>
                                                    There also videos of it in use on an RF25 mill on there too.

                                                    Malcolm

                                                    Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin
                                                    The writing is on the wall.