soft faced hammer tips

  • chucketn
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 4, 2010
      Anybody have a soft faced machinist hammer with replaceable threaded tips that can measure the thread size for me? I am making a combination hammer and socket wrench for my mill. Have tried repurposing the rubber bumpers from a treadmill but they are too soft to transfer enough shock to pop loose an R8 taper.

      Chuck in E. TN.
    • gerry waclawiak
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 4, 2010
        Chuck,

        a brass hammer is ideal for loosening the draw bar from the minimill and comes in handy for tapping other metal parts without risk of bruising or damaging them. Simple  lathe project to make

        Gerry
        Leeds UK

        To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com
        From: chunk07@...
        Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 16:12:27 +0000
        Subject: [GrizHFMinimill] soft faced hammer tips

        Anybody have a soft faced machinist hammer with replaceable threaded tips that can measure the thread size for me? I am making a combination hammer and socket wrench for my mill. Have tried repurposing the rubber bumpers from a treadmill but they are too soft to transfer enough shock to pop loose an R8 taper.

        Chuck in E. TN.

      • rich
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 4, 2010
          i have 4 hammers and i made brass tips for one side on all of them ..the steel head sizes are 11/16 with 14/20 thread ,7/8 head with 5/16-18,1 inch head with 7/16-14 thread and 1 1/4 head with a 7/16-14.thread .hope this helps....rich

          --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, gerry waclawiak <gerrywac@...> wrote:

          > Chuck,
          >
          > a brass hammer is ideal for loosening the draw bar from the minimill and comes in handy for tapping other metal parts without risk of bruising or damaging them. Simple lathe project to make
          >
          > Gerry
          > Leeds UK
          >
          > To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com
          > From: chunk07@...
          > Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 16:12:27 +0000
          > Subject: [GrizHFMinimill] soft faced hammer tips

          > Anybody have a soft faced machinist hammer with replaceable threaded tips that can measure the thread size for me? I am making a combination hammer and socket wrench for my mill. Have tried repurposing the rubber bumpers from a treadmill but they are too soft to transfer enough shock to pop loose an R8 taper.
          >

          > Chuck in E. TN.

        • John Mattis
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 4, 2010
            I made my own hammer from a piece of 1.25 OD steel and tapped the ends for 3/8-16 thread. I then made a plastic end and a brass end the same 1.25 diameter for the hammer. I used short 3/8-16 studs. The plastic is used to set materials down against the vise parallels and the brass end to loosen the collets.
            John

            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 4, 2010
              i use a small lead shot filled dead blow hammer for setting parts against the parallels..no bounce .

              --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, John Mattis <jsmattis@...> wrote:

              > I made my own hammer from a piece of 1.25 OD steel and tapped the ends for 3/8-16 thread. I then made a plastic end and a brass end the same 1.25 diameter for the hammer. I used short 3/8-16 studs. The plastic is used to set materials down against the vise parallels and the brass end to loosen the collets.
              > John

            • lhbakeland
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 4, 2010
                My favorite has to be the sold copper head mallets that Harbor freight and later Grizzly sold in various sizes.

                They has rubber grips and glow orange painted fiberglass handles.

                They weren't that expensive either.

                Leo

                --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, gerry waclawiak <gerrywac@...> wrote:

                > Chuck,
                >
                > a brass hammer is ideal for loosening the draw bar from the minimill and comes in handy for tapping other metal parts without risk of bruising or damaging them. Simple lathe project to make
                >
                > Gerry
                > Leeds UK
                >
                > To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com
                > From: chunk07@...
                > Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 16:12:27 +0000
                > Subject: [GrizHFMinimill] soft faced hammer tips

                > Anybody have a soft faced machinist hammer with replaceable threaded tips that can measure the thread size for me? I am making a combination hammer and socket wrench for my mill. Have tried repurposing the rubber bumpers from a treadmill but they are too soft to transfer enough shock to pop loose an R8 taper.
                >

                > Chuck in E. TN.

              • Tony Smith
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 5, 2010
                  > Anybody have a soft faced machinist hammer with replaceable threaded
                  > tips that can measure the thread size for me? I am making a combination
                  > hammer and socket wrench for my mill. Have tried repurposing the rubber
                  > bumpers from a treadmill but they are too soft to transfer enough shock
                  > to pop loose an R8 taper.

                  What size would you like?

                  Usually depends on the size of the tip diameter if they've got a metal
                  thread.

                  1" diameter is 1/4" thread.
                  1.5" is 5/16th.
                  2" is 3/8th.

                  The diameter refers to the size of the hammer body itself, the tips usually
                  taper. Doesn't stop manufacturers making tips that only fit their hammers
                  though. I found that out the usual way.

                  For fully plastic ones they have a larger thread, even 1/2" or 3/4".

                  See
                  http://www2.blackwoods.com.au/infoBANK.aspx?SG=2000165&S=4084731&G=2004697,
                  Oz site but it'll give you an idea.

                  Buy the tips, then make the hammer.

                  Tony
                • Tony Smith
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 5, 2010
                    > Anybody have a soft faced machinist hammer with replaceable threaded
                    > tips that can measure the thread size for me? I am making a combination
                    > hammer and socket wrench for my mill. Have tried repurposing the rubber
                    > bumpers from a treadmill but they are too soft to transfer enough shock
                    > to pop loose an R8 taper.

                    Better: http://www.hammersource.com/Soft_Face_Hammers.html

                    Gotta love the internet when you have an entire site that's just hammers.

                    Tony
                  • Malcolm Parker-Lisberg
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 5, 2010
                      Tony

                      No need to buy one, I moulded my replacement soft hammer face using hot glue and an outer mould made from PVC waste pipe. It's been in use for 12 months and shows no sign of the punisment  it's recieved

                      Malcolm

                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 5, 2010
                        --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Smith" <ajsmith@...> wrote:

                        > Buy the tips, then make the hammer.
                        >
                        > Tony

                        That's exactly what I had in mind. I have nade the hammer with a 1/4"x20tpi and use a 1/4" x 20tpi stove bolt in the base of a 17mm socket. Tightening the scocket into the hammet enough to be able to loosen the draw bar twisted off the stove bolt twice.
                        Tony, I had found the hammer website you mentioned. They did have replacement hammer faces, but they did not give the thread sizes.
                        I knew others had made their own combo draw bar wrench and hammer and was looking to see what they used.
                        I have tried again, this time epoxying a 5/16" x 20tpi bolt into the socket, and currently have a red oak face on the hammer side. I left the epoxy curing over night so haven't tested it yet. If I don't destroy it today I'm good. If it craps out I'll try again with bigger threads, and will try the suggestion of hot glue in thic walled pvc.

                        Chuck in E. TN
                      • Tony Smith
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 5, 2010
                          > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Smith" <ajsmith@...>
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Buy the tips, then make the hammer.
                          > >
                          > > Tony
                          > >
                          > That's exactly what I had in mind. I have nade the hammer with a
                          > 1/4"x20tpi and use a 1/4" x 20tpi stove bolt in the base of a 17mm
                          > socket. Tightening the scocket into the hammet enough to be able to
                          > loosen the draw bar twisted off the stove bolt twice.
                          > Tony, I had found the hammer website you mentioned. They did have
                          > replacement hammer faces, but they did not give the thread sizes.
                          > I knew others had made their own combo draw bar wrench and hammer and
                          > was looking to see what they used.
                          > I have tried again, this time epoxying a 5/16" x 20tpi bolt into the
                          > socket, and currently have a red oak face on the hammer side. I left
                          > the epoxy curing over night so haven't tested it yet. If I don't
                          > destroy it today I'm good. If it craps out I'll try again with bigger
                          > threads, and will try the suggestion of hot glue in thic walled pvc.
                          >
                          > Chuck in E. TN

                          http://www.hammersource.com/Soft_Face_Hammers.html has the thread sizes in
                          teeny writing under each heading.

                          Hot glue does sound interesting though.

                          Tony
                        • paul_in_pittsfield
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 5, 2010
                            See "Drawbar wrench.pdf" in "Paul in Pittsfield's Mill Mods" in the group's FILES section.

                            Paul in Pittsfield

                            --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "chucketn" <chunk07@...> wrote:

                            > Anybody have a soft faced machinist hammer with replaceable threaded tips that can measure the thread size for me? I am making a combination hammer and socket wrench for my mill. Have tried repurposing the rubber bumpers from a treadmill but they are too soft to transfer enough shock to pop loose an R8 taper.
                            >
                            > Chuck in E. TN.

                          • chucketn
                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 6, 2010
                              --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "paul_in_pittsfield" <pkgloger@...> wrote:

                              > See "Drawbar wrench.pdf" in "Paul in Pittsfield's Mill Mods" in the group's FILES section.

                              Yes, Paul, it was your "Drawbar Wrench" posting that inspired me to make mine. I eneded up with a hammer head 1 3/4" long by 7/8" dia. I used oak for the "soft" face, and a 17mm 3/8" drive socket for the "wrench" side. I made the 10 1/2" handle from 1/2" steel round from a treadmill roller axil.
                              It works, and "I made it!".

                              Pic here:[IMG]http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss157/chucketn/Machining/Mill%20spimdle%20wrench/DSCF1022.jpg%5b/IMG]
                            • paul_in_pittsfield
                              Message 14 of 14 , Sep 7, 2010
                                Good for you, Chuck! You might find it easier to use if you fatten up the handle -- maybe with some more of that oak.