Re: LMS HiTorque Mini Mill

  • mattdbartlett
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 29 8:41 AM
      Congratulations on the new toy. I got the LMS HiTorque a couple months ago. Pretty happy with it overall. As for next steps I would say.

      1) Make sure you have it mounted firmly to your bench, it is very top heavy.
      2) You may want to play with it a bit first, but before you can do anything "real" you will need to align the spindle to the column, tram the mill head, and adjust the jibs. There is a document in the attachments that describes the process (Mini Mill Spindle and Column Alignment.pdf). I found another site on through Google that had the same information, but in a more detailed format. It seems like a lot of work, but wasn't actually that bad, just take it step by step.

      I have not done any additional mods for the mill. I attempted to add the air spring kit, but the LMS kit does not fit this mill. You should double check with LMS if you purchase any kits from them for this mill.

      -Matt

    • lewbishop@sbcglobal.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 29 8:47 AM
        --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "moodyj2000" <moodyj2000@...> wrote:

        > Alright, after months of trying to decide on which mill to buy I settled on the Little Machine Shop HiTorque Mini Mill. I was tempted to go larger but the reality is I don't need it as I have limited space and this is for a hobby.
        >
        > So I unpackaged the mill today and place it on the bench. Other than the holder for the plexiglass shield being broken everything looks good. I will call LMS tomorrow about the shield.
        >
        > What would people recommend for my next step? The unit is coated in a light coating of oil on all surfaces. None of the red junk just what seems to be motor oil. As others have done should I break the mill down and scrub it clean?

        I received my LMS Hi Tork about a long week ago and had much the same experience - except the shield was not damaged, nor was any other part of the mill (as a real newbee as far as I can determine.) The mill was loose in the crate as both bolts had come adrift in transit. Put the thing on the bench and did as the manual said, including tramming the table after squaring up the column. Got it within .00745 after a fair number of light taps with a rubber mallet.

        Your question was what's next -- I ordered a set of R8 collets, a 3" medium duty vise and a wiggler. I had purchased a bunch of end mills on EBay to work with a homemade milling attachment made for my Taig lathe. Ben doing research to determine kinds of projects and have made some T-Nuts from a strip of .500 brass bar - tapping is another matter....

        Just lots to learn and try -- that's what I figured was next.

        Lew Bishop