Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Greetings from Salt Flats, Texas!!

  • Harvey White
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 18, 2010
      On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 15:04:39 -0000, you wrote:

      > Hi everyone! I am a member of the 7X10 minilathe group, and the Lathemaster group. I own a 7X10 that I bought from HF two months ago, and will buy a milling machine next, and then a 9X20 lathe to do my "heavier" work.
      > A bit about me. My name is Sabrina, "Brie" for short. I am 60, and retired Army. I am an active pilot, and fly both GA, and ultralights.
      > I used to be pretty good with shop equipment 25 years ago, and I haven't forgotten how to use a lathe, now I need to see if I still know how to use a milling machine.
      > The reason that I may go to Grizzly instead of HF is that Grizzly has both X2 AND X3 mills for sale, and I think that it would behoove me to get the X3 mill even though it costs more. HF only offers the X2 mill. What do you think guys, should I spend the extra bucks for the X3? Brie

      Hi, welcome, and enjoy the hobby.

      Go for as large as you can afford reasonably. The X2 has problems
      with some larger pieces of work, so an X3 (which I don't have), is
      better.

      Harvey

    • Chuck
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 19, 2010
        Having entered the world of home machining through the purchase of a Real Bull 7 x 14 a couple of years ago and experiencing what seems to be the typical ups and downs of correcting and refining that machine, when I began to shop for a mill it didn't take long for me to realize that the SX3 was the best choice for me.

        Fortunately, I found a lightly used and substantially de-bugged Grizzly G0619 and invested a part of the savings in the LMS 3526 Tooling Package. I don't think I could have done much better in finding more capacity at a manageable cost.

        Good luck with your choice.

        --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Barnstormer Brie" <taylorcraftbc65@...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone! I am a member of the 7X10 minilathe group, and the Lathemaster group. I own a 7X10 that I bought from HF two months ago, and will buy a milling machine next, and then a 9X20 lathe to do my "heavier" work.
        >
        > The reason that I may go to Grizzly instead of HF is that Grizzly has both X2 AND X3 mills for sale, and I think that it would behoove me to get the X3 mill even though it costs more. HF only offers the X2 mill. What do you think guys, should I spend the extra bucks for the X3? Brie

      • Barnstormer Brie
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 19, 2010
          Hi Bob and Terrie,
          Yes, I am female, though no one who knows me would ever call me a member of the "fairer sex". I fly areobatics, ride a 150 MPH Suzuki, can turn wrenches with the best of them, and am a crack shot who reloads her own ammunition.
          Once people get over the initial shock of the above, they find out that I do what I do because I LIKE doing it, not to compete with men, or to put them down. Once they realise that, we get along GREAT!!
          My sweetie pie and I live in a single story hangerhome that we are building while we are living in it, and I have both a metal working shop that is 26X26, and will start building a woodworking shop of the same size this fall.
          I have the shops to build the prototypes of the ultralight legal replicas of aircraft from the golden years of aviation that I design. As a result, most of the machining that I will do with the mill will be in 6061, or 2024 aluminum. The steel that I will work, will mostly be 4130.
          One of the reasons that I will get the X-3 mill is that it already is a lot stiffer in it's Z Axis. The one thing that I will do to make it better, is to remove the gear drive, and replace it with a high quality belt drive.
          Have fun reshaping metal!!! Brie

        • friscokid911@msn.com
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 19, 2010
            Welcome aboard! Wish there were more like you!

            Sent via DROID X

            [GrizHFMinimill] Re: Greetings from Salt Flats, Texas!!

          • Sabrina Hill
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 19, 2010
              Well when I grew up, I was allowed to develop my out set of talants, and allowed to pursue my dreams, not being told that  "was not what girls did". Unfortunatly, I am VERY rare in my generation. Things are looking up though. When I entered the Army I was one of a VERY FEW fwmale Helicopter pilots. Now there are a fair number of Women flying attack helicopters into combat. I was blessed to witness the Army open up the opportunities for women in the twenty years that I was in, (1968 to 1988).   Brie

> [...]

              > fed my end mill bit into the work too quickly and broke the sacrificial
              > plastic drive gear. I immediately bought the belt drive mode from LMS and it
              > works great and is so much quieter- I highly recommend it. I also purchased
              > the LMS air spring mod for the z-axis to give it more range and improve the
              > z-axis handling. Having more fun and learning that I needed to learn a lot
              > more than I thought.
              >
              > BTW, I grew up in San Antonio and have never heard of Salt Flats, Texas.
              > WTF, where is it?
              >
              > Now, after spending close to $2000, I can make a $50 nut and bolt that I
              > could have purchased from ACE hardware for $3..........
              > You're not making parts for your own ultra lights are you? If you are, I am
              > not sure I will fly with you....lol.
              > Although I could do some interesting HD videography from an ultra

            • Charlie
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 19, 2010
                I also served in the Army (69-89)and you're right, there weren't many female pilots. I did run across one or two at Ft. Hood in the early 80s.

                Did you ever run across a guy named Fred Minnich? He was an aviator, too.

                Charlie

                --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Sabrina Hill <taylorcraftbc65@...> wrote:

                > Well when I grew up, I was allowed to develop my out set of talants, and allowed to pursue my dreams, not being told that  "was not what girls did". Unfortunatly, I am VERY rare in my generation. Things are looking up though. When I entered the Army I was one of a VERY FEW fwmale Helicopter pilots. Now there are a fair number of Women flying attack helicopters into combat. I was blessed to witness the Army open up the opportunities for women in the twenty years that I was in, (1968 to 1988).   Brie

              • Malcolm Parker-Lisberg
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 19, 2010
                  Knowledge is pointless unless you pass it on, a lot of young ladies are in need of your guidance.

                  There are more female engineers in europe than in the UK, engineering is not seen as the 'oily rag brigade' there.

                  My wife and I watched a 'real life movie' recently about a woman trying to become a pilot in the US forces. Did you know her?

                  Malcolm

                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 19, 2010
                    Let me think on it, it's been a while. I'll get back to you.  Brie

                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 19, 2010
                      Charlie,
                      I think perhaps, but I can't be sure. There are about two dozen pilots that made such an impression on me, that I remember their names to this day. Many, however, I don't remember their names. It's been been 22 years since I posted out of the Army. Brie

                      --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Charlie" <radfordc@...> wrote:

                      > I also served in the Army (69-89)and you're right, there weren't many female pilots. I did run across one or two at Ft. Hood in the early 80s.
                      >
                      > Did you ever run across a guy named Fred Minnich? He was an aviator, too.
                      >
                      > Charlie
                      >
                      > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Sabrina Hill <taylorcraftbc65@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Well when I grew up, I was allowed to develop my out set of talants, and allowed to pursue my dreams, not being told that  "was not what girls did". Unfortunatly, I am VERY rare in my generation. Things are looking up though. When I entered the Army I was one of a VERY FEW fwmale Helicopter pilots. Now there are a fair number of Women flying attack helicopters into combat. I was blessed to witness the Army open up the opportunities for women in the twenty years that I was in, (1968 to 1988).   Brie

                    • Michael Adams
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 20, 2010

                        I have an X2 and an X3. There is quite a bit of difference. It took me a while to figure out how to get the X3 up on a bench. I mounted it on a SEARS tool chest. Next I get to figure out how to stabilize it so it is more solid than it acts on those wheels. I bought the X3 from Grizzly and the X2 from Harbor Freight. My &X14 lathe came from Micro Mark. My workshop is a tiny 7X15 foot extension of my Tractor Building which was too small when I built it. Next time it will at least twice that size. It does hold two of my old tractors at a time though so I can work on them and restore them.

                        For history, I was Air Force in Laos in 1968-69, switched to the Army and got to play in Gulf War 1991 and the current Middle East mess from 2005-2008 (after I had already retired). As a civilian I still play with the Army although I will be 66 next month. Now I am slowing down and use my machine tools for fun and to repair tractor parts.

                        Michael Adams  LTC Retired

                        Killeen, Texas

                      • Barnstormer Brie
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 20, 2010
                          I will be able to afford a Grizzly X-3 mill late this fall, or early this winter. The shop that it will be going into is 26X26, with a concrete floor. I have a cherry picker to lift it in place onto a steel table. One of the things that I like about it is that it is a LOT more rigid in Z-axis than any of the X-2 mills that I have seen.
                          The DRO that comes with it is pretty cool too. Just the thing to enable me to do more of the parts fabrication on the prototypes of the ultralight aircraft that I design. Brie

                          --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Adams" <dradams@...> wrote:

                          > I have an X2 and an X3. There is quite a bit of difference. It took me a
                          > while to figure out how to get the X3 up on a bench. I mounted it on a SEARS
                          > tool chest. Next I get to figure out how to stabilize it so it is more solid
                          > than it acts on those wheels. I bought the X3 from Grizzly and the X2 from
                          > Harbor Freight. My &X14 lathe came from Micro Mark. My workshop is a tiny
                          > 7X15 foot extension of my Tractor Building which was too small when I built
                          > it. Next time it will at least twice that size. It does hold two of my old
                          > tractors at a time though so I can work on them and restore them.
                          >

                          > For history, I was Air Force in Laos in 1968-69, switched to the Army and
                          > got to play in Gulf War 1991 and the current Middle East mess from 2005-2008
                          > (after I had already retired). As a civilian I still play with the Army
                          > although I will be 66 next month. Now I am slowing down and use my machine
                          > tools for fun and to repair tractor parts.
                          >

                          > Michael Adams LTC Retired
                          >
                          > Killeen, Texas

                        • Barnstormer Brie
                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 20, 2010
                            Happy up and coming 66th !!!

                            --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Adams" <dradams@...> wrote:

                            > I have an X2 and an X3. There is quite a bit of difference. It took me a
                            > while to figure out how to get the X3 up on a bench. I mounted it on a SEARS
                            > tool chest. Next I get to figure out how to stabilize it so it is more solid
                            > than it acts on those wheels. I bought the X3 from Grizzly and the X2 from
                            > Harbor Freight. My &X14 lathe came from Micro Mark. My workshop is a tiny
                            > 7X15 foot extension of my Tractor Building which was too small when I built
                            > it. Next time it will at least twice that size. It does hold two of my old
                            > tractors at a time though so I can work on them and restore them.
                            >

                            > For history, I was Air Force in Laos in 1968-69, switched to the Army and
                            > got to play in Gulf War 1991 and the current Middle East mess from 2005-2008
                            > (after I had already retired). As a civilian I still play with the Army
                            > although I will be 66 next month. Now I am slowing down and use my machine
                            > tools for fun and to repair tractor parts.
                            >

                            > Michael Adams LTC Retired
                            >
                            > Killeen, Texas

                          • Mike Payson
                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 21, 2010
                              Coming to this thread late, sorry...

                              I agree with buying from Grizzly, but I would not buy either the X2 or the x3. By most accounts, the new G0704 is superior to the X3 and costs less money to boot. The initial concern that most people have upon seeing it (myself inculded) is that the colum is too thin. However Unlike the X3, the 0704 has a fully enclosed column, so it is comparable in rigidity to the X3 even though it has a slightly thinner profile. If you google for "Grizzly G0704" you can find several very favorable reviews.

                              Hope this helps!

                              On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 8:09 PM, Barnstormer Brie <taylorcraftbc65@...> wrote:
                               Happy up and coming 66th !!!

                              --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Adams" <dradams@...> wrote:

                              > I have an X2 and an X3. There is quite a bit of difference. It took me a
                              > while to figure out how to get the X3 up on a bench. I mounted it on a SEARS
                              > tool chest. Next I get to figure out how to stabilize it so it is more solid
                              > than it acts on those wheels. I bought the X3 from Grizzly and the X2 from
                              > Harbor Freight. My &X14 lathe came from Micro Mark. My workshop is a tiny
                              > 7X15 foot extension of my Tractor Building which was too small when I built
                              > it. Next time it will at least twice that size. It does hold two of my old
                              > tractors at a time though so I can work on them and restore them.
                              >

                              > For history, I was Air Force in Laos in 1968-69, switched to the Army and
                              > got to play in Gulf War 1991 and the current Middle East mess from 2005-2008
                              > (after I had already retired). As a civilian I still play with the Army
                              > although I will be 66 next month. Now I am slowing down and use my machine
                              > tools for fun and to repair tractor parts.
                              >

                              > Michael Adams  LTC Retired
                              >
                              > Killeen, Texas

                              <*> Your email settings:
                                 Individual Email | Traditional

                              <*> To change settings online go to:
                                 (Yahoo! ID required)

                              <*> To change settings via email:
                                 GrizHFMinimill-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                 GrizHFMinimill-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                            • Allen Jeter
                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 21, 2010
                                Have you looked at the Grizzly G0704? It's getting a lot of buzz lately it's a square column mill and it's got better travels on the table at 18 7/8" longitudinal and 6 6/8" cross travel. Also the table is bigger too at 26 5/8 x 71/8. it also has a slightly more powerful motor at 1hp It's supposedly well made for a Chinese machine as well. And it's cheaper too at 950 and includes a stand. Biggest drawback is they are back ordered because they are selling like hotcakes right now.

                                Cheers, Allen

                                --
                                Allen Jeter
                                Lumensa LLC
                                Message 15 of 19 , Aug 22, 2010
                                  The European versions seem popular:

                                  http://www.zellix.de/fraes.htm

                                  http://www.hobby-messer.de/hilfsm-18.htm

                                  http://www.hobby-messer.de/hilfsm-19.htm

                                  http://www.holz-metall.info/shop1/artikel1238.htm

                                  --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Allen Jeter <allen@...> wrote:

                                  > Have you looked at the Grizzly G0704? It's getting a lot of buzz lately it's
                                  > a square column mill and it's got better travels on the table at 18 7/8"
                                  > longitudinal and 6 6/8" cross travel. Also the table is bigger too at 26 5/8
                                  > x 71/8. it also has a slightly more powerful motor at 1hp It's supposedly
                                  > well made for a Chinese machine as well. And it's cheaper too at 950 and
                                  > includes a stand. Biggest drawback is they are back ordered because they are
                                  > selling like hotcakes right now.
                                  >
                                  > Cheers, Allen
                                  >
                                  > --
                                  > Allen Jeter
                                  > Lumensa LLC
                                  > www.lumensa.com
                                  > 303 872 0378

                                • Bill Williams
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Aug 22, 2010
                                    Mike Payson wrote:

                                    > Coming to this thread late, sorry...
                                    >
                                    > I agree with buying from Grizzly, but I would not buy either the X2 or
                                    > the x3. By most accounts, the new G0704 is superior to the X3 and costs
                                    > less money to boot. The initial concern that most people have upon
                                    > seeing it (myself included) is that the column is too thin. However
                                    > Unlike the X3, the 0704 has a fully enclosed column, so it is comparable
                                    > in rigidity to the X3 even though it has a slightly thinner profile. If
                                    > you google for "Grizzly G0704" you can find several very favorable reviews.
                                    >
                                    > http://www.grizzly.com/products/Drill-Mill-with-Stand/G0704

                                    Having bought from Grizzly over the last 25+ years I have never failed
                                    to be satisfied with my purchases. They have ranged up to a $1400
                                    G-1004 knee mill! So I can say that you may buy with confidence!
                                    Bill in Boulder