Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Micro Drilling on Mini Milling Machine

  • david@fignoggle - IMAP
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 5, 2010
      thanks for the write-up.

      we recently had to drill many 0.020 to 0.030 holes (reamed as well) in
      aluminum as well as some free-machining stainless steel in the 400 series.

      we drilled both using those micro, hand-fed drill chucks on the mill
      (1/2" collet, not mounted in another drill chuck) as well as on the
      lathe (with the workpiece turning). the general sense was that it was
      somehow easier with the bit stationary. either way, we definitely
      started the holes by center drilling just enough to get the bit to
      situate itself without wobbling about.

      it might be interesting to see how it micro-drilling would work under cnc.

      Spindle Lock for your Rong-Fu 45, Lathemaster, Sieg X3 <http://www.spindle-lock.com>
      CNC, Plans/Kits, 8x12 Lathe, Mini-Mill, How-Tos <http://www.fignoggle.com>
      Sieg X3/Super X3 Mill Information, HF/Enco Coupons <http://www.superx3.com>

      TGX.TRF wrote:

      > Hi all,
      > Came across this information and wanted to share some info to the group.
      > The blog article is about using tiny drill bits, small size drill
      > chucks on mini-milling machine.
      > http://binarytaskforce.wordpress.com/2010/07/04/micro-drilling-on-mini-milling-machine/
      > <http://binarytaskforce.wordpress.com/2010/07/04/micro-drilling-on-mini-milling-machine/>
      > Hope this helps, cheers.
      > TGXTRF
      >

      > --
      > believed to be clean.
    • Jim E.
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 5, 2010
        Along this line, I posed the following to some friends but didn't
        receive much in the line of replies. I hereby seek your input:

        One of last Christmas' gifts from Santa was the micro drill adapter
        w/chuck from Enco:
        <http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=290-1291&PMPXNO=951000&PARTPG=INLMK3>
        which I've used a few times to date (I had to get used to the feed
        process at first, but after that all went well.

        A current project requires that I drill to fixed depth. I know how
        I'd do this with a regular chuck/quill setup, but does anyone know of a
        way to set up some type of semi-accurate depth-measuring system for this
        drilling setup?

        I've thought of

        a. mounting the bit in the chuck/adapter
        b. extending the adapter to its fullest
        c. bring down the spindle head until the workpiece touches the end
        of the drill bit (can this be done in some non-awkward method?)
        d. release the adapter
        e. bring down the spindle head to the drilling depth (I have an
        indicator mounted to the spindle, so that is not a problem)
        f. ...then drill until the adapter maxes out

        but this rather crude.

        Ideas?

        Graciously,
        Jim E.
        Lakewood, CA
        All Hail Rube Goldberg!

      • david@fignoggle - IMAP
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 5, 2010
          since your hand is in the way of mounting something to the rotating
          holder, it's challenging to mount something to it (accurately). i
          suppose you could replace that piece with something that extends out
          further to attach to some fixed part of the quill assembly.
          alternatively, we just carefully used a peck/drill method with careful
          gauge block checking every once in a while. it was good for a few thou
          tolerance in depth without much work, only tedious that is...

          Jim E. wrote:

          > Along this line, I posed the following to some friends but didn't
          > receive much in the line of replies. I hereby seek your input:
          >
          > One of last Christmas' gifts from Santa was the micro drill adapter
          > w/chuck from Enco:
          > <http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=290-1291&PMPXNO=951000&PARTPG=INLMK3
          > <http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=290-1291&PMPXNO=951000&PARTPG=INLMK3>>
          > which I've used a few times to date (I had to get used to the feed
          > process at first, but after that all went well.
          >
          > A current project requires that I drill to fixed depth. I know how
          > I'd do this with a regular chuck/quill setup, but does anyone know of a
          > way to set up some type of semi-accurate depth-measuring system for this
          > drilling setup?
          >
          > I've thought of
          >
          > a. mounting the bit in the chuck/adapter
          > b. extending the adapter to its fullest
          > c. bring down the spindle head until the workpiece touches the end
          > of the drill bit (can this be done in some non-awkward method?)
          > d. release the adapter
          > e. bring down the spindle head to the drilling depth (I have an
          > indicator mounted to the spindle, so that is not a problem)
          > f. ...then drill until the adapter maxes out
          >
          > but this rather crude.
          >
          > Ideas?
          >
          > Graciously,
          > Jim E.
          > Lakewood, CA
          > All Hail Rube Goldberg!
          >
          > TGX.TRF wrote:
          > >

          > > Hi all,
          > >
          > > Came across this information and wanted to share some info to the group.
          > >
          > > The blog article is about using tiny drill bits, small size drill
          > > chucks on mini-milling machine.
          > >

          > http://binarytaskforce.wordpress.com/2010/07/04/micro-drilling-on-mini-milling-machine/
          > >
          > > Hope this helps, cheers.
          > >
          > > TGXTRF
          >

          > --
          > believed to be clean.
        • rich
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 5, 2010
            sounds good to me ...i've done it that way for years ..crude or not it works ..