How to mount chuck on rotary table?

  • thb201
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2, 2010
      Hello group:

      Hope I can get some suggestions on how to solve this problem. Here's the situation:

      Bought one of those El-Cheapo made in India 4 inch rotary tables to use on my minimill. Got it for an OK price on sale. It's nothing to write home about but it'll do me for the jobs I need to do until I can get a better one. This rotary table has no morse taper hole in the middle. It does however have a 5/16-18 threaded hole. On the bottom there is a 5/16-18 bolt used to secure the table to the bearing, but there is ample unused threaded length to be put to use.

      I want to mount a Taig 4 jaw chuck on the rotary table. The chuck is 3 1/4 inches in diameter so mounted on the rotary that leaves only 3/8 of an inch space available around the perimeter. I thought of making up T slot clamps to hold the chuck, but there really isn't anything on the chuck for the clamps to grab onto. The chuck does have a 3/4-16 mounting hole.

      Here's one idea I had. I cannibalized a 3/4-16 bolt and now have a one inch long 3/4-16 threaded rod. I can turn down one end and thread it 5/16-18. This will give me an adapter with one end going into the 5/16-18 hole on the rotary table and the other end into the 3/4-16 hole in the chuck.

      Sounds good on paper but my concern is that once I start milling that the chuck will un-screw from the rotary table due to the cutting forces. For my first job I want to use a slitting saw (3/32" thick) on a piece of aluminum bar stock while rotating the work piece on the rotary table. If I understand correctly I should rotate the work piece counter to the direction of the saw blade's rotation, but then I think the chuck will un-screw. At least if I've got that picture correct in my mind's eye I think that's what will happen.

      I realize one method of mounting is to use an adapter plate which bolts to the rotary table using the T slots. However I don't see how to attach my Taig chuck to such a plate given that there is only the threaded hole and no other holes or slots or whatever that can be used for attachment.

      By the way, the reason I got these items is that they were what was available to me here in Canada at a reasonable price. I thought about buying a rotary table kit from Little Machine Shop with all the fixins, but since the U.S. Post Office has raised their rates the cost of shipping cross border has become very high for heavy items. And couriers are out of the question due to their outrageous rip-off charges.

      I don't think that I'm a totally stupid person ;-) but I'm having difficulty envisioning how to solve this mounting problem. Is there anyone out there with a similar situation that has come up with a fix? Thanks in advance for your help.

      John
    • redbaron192redbaron192
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 3, 2010
        I would use your idea of the threaded bolt adapter. The problem then boils down to ensuring it doesn't unscrew.

        Assuming you have T slots on the rotary table, I would drill and tap holes on the side of the 4 jaw, which I would use to fit some legs that mate with the T slots. Once the 4 jaw is screwed on you could then attach the legs to prevent it coming loose.

        The one difficultly I can foresee is center alignment, i.e. for setting up how are you going to make it easy to locate the center of rotation. (and if you ever use a 3 jaw chuck how to align the jaw center with the center of table rotation), as a threaded joints may not be accurate enough.

        I have a similar rotary table, with no morse taper, just a straight sided blind hole. I made a metal 'mushroom' (the best way I can describe it) that plugs into this hole, and then i can use a dial gauge on the edges of the mushroom to determine centering of the table on the mill. I have not tried to fit a jawed chuck to it yet - eventually I will get one of those slimline 4 chucks that are only 30mm deep to keep the overall height of the assembly to a minimum.

        --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "thb201" <hudakjm@...> wrote:

        > Hello group:
        >
        > Hope I can get some suggestions on how to solve this problem. Here's the situation:
        >
        > Bought one of those El-Cheapo made in India 4 inch rotary tables to use on my minimill. Got it for an OK price on sale. It's nothing to write home about but it'll do me for the jobs I need to do until I can get a better one. This rotary table has no morse taper hole in the middle. It does however have a 5/16-18 threaded hole. On the bottom there is a 5/16-18 bolt used to secure the table to the bearing, but there is ample unused threaded length to be put to use.
        >
        > I want to mount a Taig 4 jaw chuck on the rotary table. The chuck is 3 1/4 inches in diameter so mounted on the rotary that leaves only 3/8 of an inch space available around the perimeter. I thought of making up T slot clamps to hold the chuck, but there really isn't anything on the chuck for the clamps to grab onto. The chuck does have a 3/4-16 mounting hole.
        >
        > Here's one idea I had. I cannibalized a 3/4-16 bolt and now have a one inch long 3/4-16 threaded rod. I can turn down one end and thread it 5/16-18. This will give me an adapter with one end going into the 5/16-18 hole on the rotary table and the other end into the 3/4-16 hole in the chuck.
        >
        > Sounds good on paper but my concern is that once I start milling that the chuck will un-screw from the rotary table due to the cutting forces. For my first job I want to use a slitting saw (3/32" thick) on a piece of aluminum bar stock while rotating the work piece on the rotary table. If I understand correctly I should rotate the work piece counter to the direction of the saw blade's rotation, but then I think the chuck will un-screw. At least if I've got that picture correct in my mind's eye I think that's what will happen.
        >
        > I realize one method of mounting is to use an adapter plate which bolts to the rotary table using the T slots. However I don't see how to attach my Taig chuck to such a plate given that there is only the threaded hole and no other holes or slots or whatever that can be used for attachment.
        >
        > By the way, the reason I got these items is that they were what was available to me here in Canada at a reasonable price. I thought about buying a rotary table kit from Little Machine Shop with all the fixins, but since the U.S. Post Office has raised their rates the cost of shipping cross border has become very high for heavy items. And couriers are out of the question due to their outrageous rip-off charges.
        >
        > I don't think that I'm a totally stupid person ;-) but I'm having difficulty envisioning how to solve this mounting problem. Is there anyone out there with a similar situation that has come up with a fix? Thanks in advance for your help.
        >
        > John

      • paul_in_pittsfield
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 3, 2010
          There should be enough metal in the area between the jaws to drill & counterbore for #10 (or M5) screws to attach the chuck to T-slot nuts. I've uploaded a photo of mine to my "Paul in Pittsfield's Mill Mods" folder in the group's Files section.

          Paul in Pittsfield

          --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "thb201" <hudakjm@...> wrote:

          > Hello group:
          >
          > Hope I can get some suggestions on how to solve this problem. Here's the situation:
          >
          > Bought one of those El-Cheapo made in India 4 inch rotary tables to use on my minimill. Got it for an OK price on sale. It's nothing to write home about but it'll do me for the jobs I need to do until I can get a better one. This rotary table has no morse taper hole in the middle. It does however have a 5/16-18 threaded hole. On the bottom there is a 5/16-18 bolt used to secure the table to the bearing, but there is ample unused threaded length to be put to use.
          >
          > I want to mount a Taig 4 jaw chuck on the rotary table. The chuck is 3 1/4 inches in diameter so mounted on the rotary that leaves only 3/8 of an inch space available around the perimeter. I thought of making up T slot clamps to hold the chuck, but there really isn't anything on the chuck for the clamps to grab onto. The chuck does have a 3/4-16 mounting hole.
          >
          > Here's one idea I had. I cannibalized a 3/4-16 bolt and now have a one inch long 3/4-16 threaded rod. I can turn down one end and thread it 5/16-18. This will give me an adapter with one end going into the 5/16-18 hole on the rotary table and the other end into the 3/4-16 hole in the chuck.
          >
          > Sounds good on paper but my concern is that once I start milling that the chuck will un-screw from the rotary table due to the cutting forces. For my first job I want to use a slitting saw (3/32" thick) on a piece of aluminum bar stock while rotating the work piece on the rotary table. If I understand correctly I should rotate the work piece counter to the direction of the saw blade's rotation, but then I think the chuck will un-screw. At least if I've got that picture correct in my mind's eye I think that's what will happen.
          >
          > I realize one method of mounting is to use an adapter plate which bolts to the rotary table using the T slots. However I don't see how to attach my Taig chuck to such a plate given that there is only the threaded hole and no other holes or slots or whatever that can be used for attachment.
          >
          > By the way, the reason I got these items is that they were what was available to me here in Canada at a reasonable price. I thought about buying a rotary table kit from Little Machine Shop with all the fixins, but since the U.S. Post Office has raised their rates the cost of shipping cross border has become very high for heavy items. And couriers are out of the question due to their outrageous rip-off charges.
          >
          > I don't think that I'm a totally stupid person ;-) but I'm having difficulty envisioning how to solve this mounting problem. Is there anyone out there with a similar situation that has come up with a fix? Thanks in advance for your help.
          >
          > John

        • Charlie
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 4, 2010
            You can see how I did it in my photo album "Charlie's Mill Pics":

            To start with I mounted the rotary table on my mill and milled a larger hole in the center of the RT. You do this by cranking the RT into the end mill and then cranking the table around 360 degrees. This gives a perfectly centered hole. I made a centering tool from a piece of steel that fits tightly in this hole. You can grip the centering tool in the mill chuck and ensure that the RT is aligned with the spindle axis.

            The adapter plate for the 3 jaw chuck is also made to be a tight fit in the RT hole and centers the chuck on the RT. I milled 1/8" slot in the chuck and made some T-slot clamps to hold the chuck.

            Charlie

          • david@fignoggle - IMAP
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 4, 2010
              we made an mt "pin" that fits in the rotary table and then we can use a
              center finder to locate center of the table. to center the chuck,
              depending on size, you may want to make a larger plate that sits on the
              table itself so that you can use step clamps to hold down the chuck.
              since the chuck has a register in the back ( i presume), you can turn a
              register plate that has a mating hole to the mt pin and you'll get
              really fast setups with pretty good centering. good luck!

              Spindle Lock for your Rong-Fu 45, Lathemaster, Sieg X3 <http://www.spindle-lock.com>
              CNC, Plans/Kits, 8x12 Lathe, Mini-Mill, How-Tos <http://www.fignoggle.com>
              Sieg X3/Super X3 Mill Information, HF/Enco Coupons <http://www.superx3.com>