Mill torsion arm modification?

  • ken_mays <ken_mays@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 5, 2003
      Hi,

      It seems like I am always having to disconnect the spring-assist arm from the head to work on stuff I've clamped to my table.

      I have heard of a few folks modifying their spring-assist arm to allow the spindle to travel lower than it was originally intended to.

      Does anyone have some tips, photos, or plans to accomplish this? I have a couple of ideas but would rather not reinvent the wheel.

      thanks
    • Rich Goldner <rgoldner@iname.com>
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 5, 2003
        I installed the air spring conversion kit from LMS. However, I seem
        to remember the mod as just moving the slide stop on the head up
        about an inch.

        --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "ken_mays <ken_mays@y...>"

      • wishbone_aaa <dmock@pennswoods.net>
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 5, 2003
          <ken_mays@y...> wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > It seems like I am always having to disconnect the spring-assist arm
          from the head to work on stuff I've clamped to my table.

          > I have heard of a few folks modifying their spring-assist arm to
          allow the spindle to travel lower than it was originally intended to.

          > Does anyone have some tips, photos, or plans to accomplish this? I
          have a couple of ideas but would rather not reinvent the wheel.

          > thanks

          You may want to try the mod that I posted to the files section of this
          group. It's a simple bolt on change that has worked well for me.

          Don
        • ken_mays <ken_mays@yahoo.com>
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 6, 2003
            > You may want to try the mod that I posted to the files section of
            this
            > group. It's a simple bolt on change that has worked well for me.

            > Don

            Thanks guys, that's exactly what I was looking for.

            Ken