RE: [GrizHFMinimill] Using scales for DRO without remote display

  • MZT.Groups
    Message 1 of 38 , Mar 1, 2010
      > I would love to have DRO like a Shumatech one of these days,
      > but I'm thinking about first attaching scales to the X and Y
      > axes and trying out just trying to see the displays on scales
      > themselvs. Has anyone done this and what do you think about
      > peering around to see the displays?

      My Y axis was definitely unusable.
      Well protected from chips and swarfs, tho, and with only one cable going
      from the XY scales to the dro.

      <
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GrizHFMinimill/photos/album/70867110/pic/list

      [DRO_0534__XYaxes.jpg]

      Marcello
    • kylejoiner
      Message 38 of 38 , Jun 2, 2010
        Hi Jim

        I had tested the accuracy of the Y axis a while ago against a dial indicator and also the wheels on the table and it seemed to hold its accuracy pretty well. I think I posted the results on another thread. I'll see if I can find it. The accuracy stated on the box is .001 per 6" - good enough for what I do.

        The readouts don't respond as quickly as the typical scales like I have on my Z axis, but the time savings is great. These scales are definitely not for CNC use but for what I need, they are a great value.

        There are longer versions that are well suited for table saws etc. I do wish the displays had an AC adapter although I don't think they are battery hogs. My Y axis unit shuts off after several minutes to save the battery but it does hold its value when you turn it back on.

        So far I've done two smaller projects - one is a drill jig and the other is a spanner type tool with 4 teeth. The drill jig required me to jump back and forth on each axis and having the display with the actual table position kept me from needing to return to zero and start again to ensure backlash wasn't a problem.

        Again, I lost about 1/2" on the Y axis, but it gets pretty stiff at the end of travel moving toward the column) so I tend to stay away from there anyway.

        Kyle