Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: Now Leadscrew Covers

  • Bill in Boulder
    Message 1 of 40 , Feb 28, 2010

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Scott Cordry
      Sent: Feb 28, 2010 9:40 PM
      To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: Now Leadscrew Covers

      Hi Bill,

      The photos i have posted already have the rubber coating and seem to be just as functional as any commercial bellows I've seen. The coating has soaked into the Denim and firmed things up nicely.I went through quite a few iterations trying different brush on and spray on products and settled on the same stuff you use to rubberize the handles of tools. I think it's called plasticoat and they now have a spray on product as well as the dip can. The bellows are holding shape and the folds are very crisp but will compress and return to relaxed shape without showing any stress to the coating. That's not to say that cracks of fractures won't develop but that's why I'm asking someone to give me some dimensions for a small mill and i'll build the things and let someone do some stress testing and see if they hold up to real world use. I don't see any reason why this concept won't work for a lead screw cover, probably just adding some support in the middle of long runs would be sufficient to even use in a lathe lead screw application. If anyone wants to help take this to the next step let me know. I'm probably still another 1 to 2 months before i trade in the Bridgeport and get the SX3 so I'll continue at that point if someone hasn't provided measurements by then. I'm thinking it will take about 20 to 25 bucks worth of materials to complete a set and 2 or 3 hours worth of work, A vast improvement over what some of these retailers are asking.

      Thanks,

      Scott

         Well Scott, you have clearly given this a lot of thought and effort. I will follow the testig with some interest. I have looked into making bellows for view cameras but have never quite gotten up the nerve tp build one!   Bill in Boulder

      Bill in Boulder "Engineering as an Art Form!"

      PeoplePC Online
      A better way to Internet
      http://www.peoplepc.com
      Message 40 of 40 , Mar 9 8:38 AM
        Hi Bill:

        Sorry it took so long to answer. I have been swamped at work.

        I print the books and bind them here at my house. They are $25 including shipping to domestic US destinations.

        Please let me know off list if you would like one.

        Thank you

        Barry Young