Larry's question on HF unit

  • David Dewey
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2003
      Larry,
      For its size, it seems to be a pretty good unit. I would recommend
      disassembling it to the "major components" and cleaning off all the red
      preservative, then lubricating and re-assembling. You will probably find
      some metal shavings where they shouldn't be, and check the wiring
      connections--I had to reconnect the line cord to the main board on mine, it
      ran intermittently at first.
      I too, bolted mine to a heavy steel plate to give more base rigidity. I also
      found the upper quill bearing wasn't seated, it is a lot smoother now! I was
      able to get mine for $350 at a store, some kind of "inventory reduction."
      The next thing you'll want to do is order a spares kit and the holdown set
      from Chris (Littlemachineshop.com) as the table slots are not the usual
      full-sized milling machine size.
      S'
      David D.