Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Where are the posts, I sent in?

  • Clint D
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 31, 2002
      Mike
      http://www.littlemachineshop.com will have the replacement gears for your mill
      Clint

      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Tuesday, December 31, 2002 7:10 PM
      Subject: Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Where are the posts, I sent in?

      OK Mike:

      I posted your messages.

      To answer your questions as best I can,,,

      >Well I when and did a no no / took to deep a cut &
      >jammed
      >the work piece. I now have stripped gears? the motor
      >turns /
      >but not the spindle? If I turn the spindle my hand /
      >noises
      >are made? How do I check to see if they are stripped?

      >How do
      >I replace them? Any files OR web sites that have the
      >info?
      >Thanks in advance for any help / info. Mike in Penn.

      Remove the four screws (#75 in the manual) securing
      the motor mount to the top of the head. You will now
      be able to remove the motor and mount to see if any of
      the gears are missing teeth. If they are, just get new
      ones from Grizzly or from Chris at
      littlemachineshop.com

      >How do you remove the spindle? I see a spanner nut on

      >the
      >top of the mill body? If I remove the bolts at the
      >back of
      >the mill body / will the motor & gear housing &
      >control box
      >/ come off in one piece? Any help, on how to get to
      >the
      >gears & remove them to see witch ones / need
      >replacing? Any
      >special tools needed to take mill apart? Mike in
      >Penn.

      To remove the spindle, remove the spanner nut at the
      top of the spindle. Remove the three attachment screws
      (part number 121) which secure the bearing cover (part
      number 122) on the bottom of the head. The spindle can
      now be pressed out with an arbor press.

      To remove the head, undo the counterweight mechanism.
      Remove the rack attachment screws (part number 47) and
      slide the entire head off the top of the column. Now
      you can access the 4 screws (part number60) which hold
      the two head castings together. This will make the
      front portion of the head accessable and portable in
      case you need to take it to a machine shop to have the
      spindle pressed out.

      It is possible using a piece of threaded rod with nuts
      and some large sockets to remove the spindle by
      yourself but if you are unfamiliar with this
      procedure, you run a risk of damaging the head
      casting.

      Good luck

      Barry Young

      --- "mfb11 <mfb1fyfb@...>"