Where are the posts, I sent in?

  • mfb11 <mfb1fyfb@teisprint.com>
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 29, 2002
      To Moderator. On 12 - 29 - 02 I sent in two posts about broken drive
      gears in my mini mill. Have not seen them listed? The message on the
      screen said they were posted & that you read all posts? ALSO I have
      been a member for some time & I`am not listed in the member section?
      When I go to the web site / it tells me I`am a member? My mini mill
      is down with some broken drive gears / would like to get some info /
      so I can order the parts I need. Thanks for any help. Mike in Penn.
    • Dave Audette
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 31, 2002
        You can get any part for your mill from Little Machine Shop. I haven't
        broken any of mine yet but when I got the mill & lathe the first things I
        ordered from LMS were the emergency repair kits which contain gears, belts,
        fuses, MOSFETS, and a bunch of other stuff that gets broken a lot. I've been
        fortunate enough not to need any of it but if I do it's there on the shelf.

        Dave
        Worcester, Mass
        www.broncosaurus.net

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 31, 2002
          OK Mike:

          I posted your messages.

          To answer your questions as best I can,,,

          >Well I when and did a no no / took to deep a cut &
          >jammed
          >the work piece. I now have stripped gears? the motor
          >turns /
          >but not the spindle? If I turn the spindle my hand /
          >noises
          >are made? How do I check to see if they are stripped?

          >How do
          >I replace them? Any files OR web sites that have the
          >info?
          >Thanks in advance for any help / info. Mike in Penn.

          Remove the four screws (#75 in the manual) securing
          the motor mount to the top of the head. You will now
          be able to remove the motor and mount to see if any of
          the gears are missing teeth. If they are, just get new
          ones from Grizzly or from Chris at
          littlemachineshop.com

          >How do you remove the spindle? I see a spanner nut on

          >the
          >top of the mill body? If I remove the bolts at the
          >back of
          >the mill body / will the motor & gear housing &
          >control box
          >/ come off in one piece? Any help, on how to get to
          >the
          >gears & remove them to see witch ones / need
          >replacing? Any
          >special tools needed to take mill apart? Mike in
          >Penn.

          To remove the spindle, remove the spanner nut at the
          top of the spindle. Remove the three attachment screws
          (part number 121) which secure the bearing cover (part
          number 122) on the bottom of the head. The spindle can
          now be pressed out with an arbor press.

          To remove the head, undo the counterweight mechanism.
          Remove the rack attachment screws (part number 47) and
          slide the entire head off the top of the column. Now
          you can access the 4 screws (part number60) which hold
          the two head castings together. This will make the
          front portion of the head accessable and portable in
          case you need to take it to a machine shop to have the
          spindle pressed out.

          It is possible using a piece of threaded rod with nuts
          and some large sockets to remove the spindle by
          yourself but if you are unfamiliar with this
          procedure, you run a risk of damaging the head
          casting.

          Good luck

          Barry Young

          --- "mfb11 <mfb1fyfb@...>"
          <mfb1fyfb@...> wrote:
          > To Moderator. On 12 - 29 - 02 I sent in two posts
          > about broken drive
          > gears in my mini mill. Have not seen them listed?
          > The message on the
          > screen said they were posted & that you read all
          > posts? ALSO I have
          > been a member for some time & I`am not listed in the
          > member section?
          > When I go to the web site / it tells me I`am a
          > member? My mini mill
          > is down with some broken drive gears / would like to
          > get some info /
          > so I can order the parts I need. Thanks for any
          > help. Mike in Penn.

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          http://mailplus.yahoo.com
        • Clint D
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 31, 2002
            Mike
            This post came through fine, why don't you just repost your questions
            Clint

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 31, 2002
              Mike
              http://www.littlemachineshop.com will have the replacement gears for your mill