New Old Guy

  • Rick
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 8, 2009
      I'm a 52 year old retired Air Force Vet that is trying to learn machining (the right way). I have a Harbor Freight 9x20 lathe and their 44991 mini mill. With the help of five other groups, I have come a long way with machining to closer tolerances. In trying to learn milling, rather than just being a drill press, I broke the plastic gear due to the mill head dropping ever so slightly while fly cutting. Mike W of Mini Mills directed me here for the belt conversion which I plan to do. I see many other improvements I plan to incorporate over time. Well enough of the introduction and now to reading as many postings as possible today.

      Rick Acosta
      Retired Air Force
      Loranger, La
    • ThomasM
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 9, 2009
        Hi Rick,

        I'm an old retired Marine Corps Mustang who has been messing around with small lathes and milling machines starting way back with a Unimat SL.

        I just did some fly cutting a short while ago and I'm a bit puzzled as to how you broke a gear in doing this procedure. You must have been cutting horizontally and if so you should tighten the head lock after each setting to prevent that drop. My fly cutting is vertical moving the mill head up and down by lever so a "head drop" is part of the procedure. I use fly cutting in brass for the base curve in model RR sand boxes and steam domes.

        My mill is a Harbor Freight model 44991 and one of the first improvements was to install that belt conversion. It is well worth the money. Keep us informed as to your progress and rest assured that even though being military you won't have to do push-ups for mistakes here.

        Tom Mix
        USMC retired

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 9, 2009
          Mavericky

          > I'm an old retired Marine Corps Mustang who has been
          > messing around with small lathes and milling machines
          > starting way back with a Unimat SL.
          >
          > I just did some fly cutting a short while ago and I'm a bit
          > puzzled as to how you broke a gear in doing this procedure.
          > You must have been cutting horizontally and if so you should
          > tighten the head lock after each setting to prevent that
          > drop. My fly cutting is vertical moving the mill head up and
          > down by lever so a "head drop" is part of the procedure. I
          > use fly cutting in brass for the base curve in model RR sand
          > boxes and steam domes.
          >
          > My mill is a Harbor Freight model 44991 and one of the
          > first improvements was to install that belt conversion. It
          > is well worth the money. Keep us informed as to your
          > progress and rest assured that even though being military
          > you won't have to do push-ups for mistakes here.
          >
          > Tom Mix
          > USMC retired
          >

          > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com,
          > "Rick" <effie_1953@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm a 52 year old retired Air Force Vet that is trying
          > to learn machining (the right way).  I have a Harbor
          > Freight 9x20 lathe and their 44991 mini mill.  With the
          > help of five other groups, I have come a long way with
          > machining to closer tolerances.  In trying to learn
          > milling, rather than just being a drill press, I broke the
          > plastic gear due to the mill head dropping ever so slightly
          > while fly cutting.  Mike W of Mini Mills directed me
          > here for the belt conversion which I plan to do.  I see
          > many other improvements I plan to incorporate over
          > time.  Well enough of the introduction and now to
          > reading as many postings as possible today.
          > >
          > > Rick Acosta
          > > Retired Air Force
          > > Loranger, La

          >     GrizHFMinimill-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        • Richard
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 9, 2009
            Hi Rick,
            There seems to be a strange marriage between aviation and this hobby. I am flyer in the uk, airline though. I installed the Sterling Steele belt drive and made a little video on youtube if you go for this one it maybe easier than reading the instructions 10 times over.
            Rich

            http://www.youtube.com/user/richieT737#p/u/14/C_6atCLtSWk
          • Rick
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 9, 2009
              Tom, I would like to see pics of how you do your fly cutting and of the flycutter itself. Also, once I get the belt drive done, I WILL be locking the head every time. I have the aluminum set up for turning the pullies, but still looking for part numbers to order the belt(s). I want to make sure I get the side angles correct.

              Rick Acosta
              Retired Air Force
              Loranger, La