Re: Mini CNC Mill

  • peter_cassar
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 31, 2009
      Pete,
      You're the only one who has responded and I posted the original question here hoping someone here would've been on mini_cnc_mill. I'll go and ask over at CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO. You may be right about the Yahoo servers. I'll let you know the outcome.

      Cheers,
      Peter.

      --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "turbo2pete" <turbo2pete@...> wrote:

      > I'm on so many of these groups, I hardly pay attention to which digest I'm reading when I get the emails...
      >
      > Several had gone to spam-suckers, where the owner/sole moderator has dropped out and no one is able to engage spam controls, a few get the 'inactivity' message from yahoo, so a few members psot a few messages (the photos group for the minilathe group for example) to keep them alive.
      >
      > But this is the first I can recall just disappearing.
      >
      > entirely possible that one of yahoos servers held the list and wasn't replicated properly, so it's the only server holding a copy of the group (it happens, craigslist shows this effect often, I can see an ad from one PC but not another) and that server was pulled from service - which leaves the group lost in limbo.
      >
      > No one else has responded about it? it seems so many members are across multiple groups I would think we'd know something.
      >
      > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "peter_cassar" <pjcassar@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Pete,
      > > There definately was a group called mini_cnc_mill and there were many hundreds of members if not over 1000 and at least a couple of thousand posts. It was all about converting the HF/Grizzly Mini Mill to CNC operation. Very strange to have dropped off the groups radar.
      > >
      > > Cheers,
      > > Peter.
      > >
      > > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "turbo2pete" <turbo2pete@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Interesting.... I wasn't sure if I was on that group or not (so many!) so I went to 'My Groups' and didn't see it there, so I searched for it and it seems to not exist anymore...
      > > >
      > > > there is a 5 month old CNC_Mini-Mill group with only ONE member but nothing else.
      > > >
      > > > Strange... I guess the group owner could just delete at will? or Yahoo trashed it for no activiy??
      > > >
      > > > Pete

    • frankmcneilll
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 1, 2009
        Hi All,

        Old newbie to the group here.
        I am the original owner of a group that dropped off the radar for a while. To guarantee that the group would survive me, I had promoted several active and apparently trustworthy members to the status of joint owners. A few months later I got an email from one of the joint owners to ask if I knew what had happened to the group. I checked and discovered that it was GONE! It took a lot of effort, but the same co-owner hassled Yahoo central until somebody admitted that another joint owner had deleted the group and that contrary to info on a warning next to the delete button, the group could be restored from Yahoo's archives. Several days later the group was back and my wonderfully persistent joint owner demoted the deleter to regular member. The deleter realized that the gig was up and left the group.
        We never found out why he deleted the group. Maybe he just clicked on the delete button to see what would happen. True story- strange but true!

        Best wishes, Frank McNeill

        --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "peter_cassar" <pjcassar@...> wrote:

        > Pete,
        > You're the only one who has responded and I posted the original question here hoping someone here would've been on mini_cnc_mill. I'll go and ask over at CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO. You may be right about the Yahoo servers. I'll let you know the outcome.
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Peter.
        >

        > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "turbo2pete" <turbo2pete@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I'm on so many of these groups, I hardly pay attention to which digest I'm reading when I get the emails...
        > >
        > > Several had gone to spam-suckers, where the owner/sole moderator has dropped out and no one is able to engage spam controls, a few get the 'inactivity' message from yahoo, so a few members psot a few messages (the photos group for the minilathe group for example) to keep them alive.
        > >
        > > But this is the first I can recall just disappearing.
        > >
        > > entirely possible that one of yahoos servers held the list and wasn't replicated properly, so it's the only server holding a copy of the group (it happens, craigslist shows this effect often, I can see an ad from one PC but not another) and that server was pulled from service - which leaves the group lost in limbo.
        > >
        > > No one else has responded about it? it seems so many members are across multiple groups I would think we'd know something.
        > >
        > > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "peter_cassar" <pjcassar@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hi Pete,
        > > > There definately was a group called mini_cnc_mill and there were many hundreds of members if not over 1000 and at least a couple of thousand posts. It was all about converting the HF/Grizzly Mini Mill to CNC operation. Very strange to have dropped off the groups radar.
        > > >
        > > > Cheers,
        > > > Peter.

      • docbahr1
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 1, 2009
          I was a member of Mini CNC Mill group and received digests 909-917 from July to December 08. I received my last digest December 2nd. I don't know what happened after that. I tried to access my group from the message but it seems to have disappeared.

          Hubert

          --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "peter_cassar" <pjcassar@...> wrote:

          > Pete,
          > You're the only one who has responded and I posted the original question here hoping someone here would've been on mini_cnc_mill. I'll go and ask over at CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO. You may be right about the Yahoo servers. I'll let you know the outcome.
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Peter.
          >

          > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "turbo2pete" <turbo2pete@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm on so many of these groups, I hardly pay attention to which digest I'm reading when I get the emails...
          > >
          > > Several had gone to spam-suckers, where the owner/sole moderator has dropped out and no one is able to engage spam controls, a few get the 'inactivity' message from yahoo, so a few members psot a few messages (the photos group for the minilathe group for example) to keep them alive.
          > >
          > > But this is the first I can recall just disappearing.
          > >
          > > entirely possible that one of yahoos servers held the list and wasn't replicated properly, so it's the only server holding a copy of the group (it happens, craigslist shows this effect often, I can see an ad from one PC but not another) and that server was pulled from service - which leaves the group lost in limbo.
          > >
          > > No one else has responded about it? it seems so many members are across multiple groups I would think we'd know something.
          > >
          > > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "peter_cassar" <pjcassar@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Hi Pete,
          > > > There definately was a group called mini_cnc_mill and there were many hundreds of members if not over 1000 and at least a couple of thousand posts. It was all about converting the HF/Grizzly Mini Mill to CNC operation. Very strange to have dropped off the groups radar.
          > > >
          > > > Cheers,
          > > > Peter.

        • imbrewster2
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 4, 2009
            Your post makes it sound like the group was revived........but it still doesn't come up?

            Brewster

            --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "frankmcneilll" <frankmcneilll@...> wrote:

            > Hi All,
            >
            > Old newbie to the group here.
            > I am the original owner of a group that dropped off the radar for a while. To guarantee that the group would survive me, I had promoted several active and apparently trustworthy members to the status of joint owners. A few months later I got an email from one of the joint owners to ask if I knew what had happened to the group. I checked and discovered that it was GONE! It took a lot of effort, but the same co-owner hassled Yahoo central until somebody admitted that another joint owner had deleted the group and that contrary to info on a warning next to the delete button, the group could be restored from Yahoo's archives. Several days later the group was back and my wonderfully persistent joint owner demoted the deleter to regular member. The deleter realized that the gig was up and left the group.
            > We never found out why he deleted the group. Maybe he just clicked on the delete button to see what would happen. True story- strange but true!
            >
            > Best wishes, Frank McNeill

          • frankmcneilll
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 4, 2009
              Hi Brewster,

              Go to <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pop-pop-steamboats/> for the group that was restored after it had dropped off the radar. It never has been a very active group. Many of the members are old codgers like me who probably joined because they remember playing with little tin pop-pop boats that are not manufactured in the US now, but are imported from India and other countries with cheap labor. There was a source for boats with simple wooden hulls and vertical unit engines in the UK. The website for that source has gone static with a notice that sales have been discontinued. UK members who are acquainted with the owner reported that he has been ill for some time and probably will not resume his business activity.

              Best wishes, Frank

              --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "imbrewster2" <ibrew@...> wrote:

              > Your post makes it sound like the group was revived........but it still doesn't come up?
              >
              > Brewster
              >
              > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "frankmcneilll" <frankmcneilll@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi All,
              > >
              > > Old newbie to the group here.
              > > I am the original owner of a group that dropped off the radar for a while. To guarantee that the group would survive me, I had promoted several active and apparently trustworthy members to the status of joint owners. A few months later I got an email from one of the joint owners to ask if I knew what had happened to the group. I checked and discovered that it was GONE! It took a lot of effort, but the same co-owner hassled Yahoo central until somebody admitted that another joint owner had deleted the group and that contrary to info on a warning next to the delete button, the group could be restored from Yahoo's archives. Several days later the group was back and my wonderfully persistent joint owner demoted the deleter to regular member. The deleter realized that the gig was up and left the group.
              > > We never found out why he deleted the group. Maybe he just clicked on the delete button to see what would happen. True story- strange but true!
              > >
              > > Best wishes, Frank McNeill

            • imbrewster2
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 4, 2009
                Well, that's a long way off from CNCing a mini-mill.

                Brewster

                -- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "frankmcneilll" <frankmcneilll@...> wrote:

                > Hi Brewster,
                >
                > Go to <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pop-pop-steamboats/> for the group that was restored after it had dropped off the radar. It never has been a very active group. Many of the members are old codgers like me who probably joined because they remember playing with little tin pop-pop boats that are not manufactured in the US now, but are imported from India and other countries with cheap labor. There was a source for boats with simple wooden hulls and vertical unit engines in the UK. The website for that source has gone static with a notice that sales have been discontinued. UK members who are acquainted with the owner reported that he has been ill for some time and probably will not resume his business activity.
                >
                > Best wishes, Frank
                >
                > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "imbrewster2" <ibrew@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Your post makes it sound like the group was revived........but it still doesn't come up?
                > >
                > > Brewster
                > >
                > > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "frankmcneilll" <frankmcneilll@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hi All,
                > > >
                > > > Old newbie to the group here.
                > > > I am the original owner of a group that dropped off the radar for a while. To guarantee that the group would survive me, I had promoted several active and apparently trustworthy members to the status of joint owners. A few months later I got an email from one of the joint owners to ask if I knew what had happened to the group. I checked and discovered that it was GONE! It took a lot of effort, but the same co-owner hassled Yahoo central until somebody admitted that another joint owner had deleted the group and that contrary to info on a warning next to the delete button, the group could be restored from Yahoo's archives. Several days later the group was back and my wonderfully persistent joint owner demoted the deleter to regular member. The deleter realized that the gig was up and left the group.
                > > > We never found out why he deleted the group. Maybe he just clicked on the delete button to see what would happen. True story- strange but true!
                > > >
                > > > Best wishes, Frank McNeill

              • onebike2ride
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 5, 2009
                  --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "frankmcneilll" <frankmcneilll@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Brewster,
                  >
                  > Go to <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pop-pop-steamboats/> for the group that was restored after it had dropped off the radar. It never has been a very active group. Many of the members are old codgers like me who probably joined because they remember playing with little tin pop-pop boats that are not manufactured in the US now, but are imported from India and other countries with cheap labor. There was a

                  Cool beans!
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop_pop_boat

                  Looks like these would be easy projects...

                  Cheers,
                  John Z.
                • frankmcneilll
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 5, 2009
                    Hi John and Brewster.

                    Pop-pop steamboats member Buzz McMillian has photos on his website of the shop in Delhi. India where most of the world's pop-pop boats are made using manually operated screw presses. The shop does not have electricity, so it might properly be called a "sweatshop."
                    Go to <http://www.buzzboats.com/rattandeep.htm> and scroll down for photos of the press gang that CNC mills and routers could compete with in shops that do have electricity.

                    Best wishes, Frank