Re: Boring head

  • C Smith
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2009
      Yes, I also have a similar boring head, they are very useful for their intended purpose of boring larger holes. Height is always a consideration, use the shortest boring bar you can, and the more the offset, the slower you need to operate. As far as max offset, it just all depends on your setup and material. And finally, I have gotten far better results with boring bars that use TCMT 2151 inserts, as compared to the "rub rather than cut" brazed carbide. This is especially important with the X2-class machines, where you don't have a great deal in the way of power and rigidity to begin with.
      Good luck,
      Chris

      --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "jcheroki" <jcheroki@...> wrote:

      > I'm starting a project where I am going to need to bore several holes 1 1/2" dia. I have a Harbor Freight mini mill and wanted to see if anyone had a recommendation for a boring head. Does anyone have the Harbor Freight boring head?
      > http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=33562
      > How does it work for you? Is height a consideration? What is max ofset for this little mill?
      >
      > Thanks
      > John

    • Jim E.
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 3, 2009
        CR:

        I don't understand the "... unless one had a way of reversing the spindle
        rotation" comment. Could you please explain?

        Graciously,
        Jim E.
        Lakewood, CA
        All Hail Rube Goldberg!

        crquack wrote:
        > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "jcheroki" <jcheroki@...> wrote:

        > Here is what probably should not be done too often:
        >
        > http://www.flickr.com/photos/27683124@N07/3588410352/in/set-72157608993005196/
        >
        > The boring head is a no-name kit, 2". Next time I would use the bar in the transverse hole and *back* it through the hole from below - unless one had a way of reversing the spindle rotation. Which I don't.
      • Ray Livingston
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 3, 2009
          It's a BAD idea to run a boring head in reverse, unless it has an integral (i.e. - one piece) shank. Most are screwed onto the shank, and running in reverse can cause it to unscrew, and become a projectile.

          Regards,
          Ray L.

          --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Jim E." <jim0000@...> wrote:

          > CR:
          >
          > I don't understand the "... unless one had a way of reversing the spindle
          > rotation" comment. Could you please explain?
          >
          > Graciously,
          > Jim E.
          > Lakewood, CA
          > All Hail Rube Goldberg!
          >

          > crquack wrote:
          > > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "jcheroki" <jcheroki@> wrote:
          >
          > > Here is what probably should not be done too often:
          > >
          > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/27683124@N07/3588410352/in/set-72157608993005196/
          > >
          > > The boring head is a no-name kit, 2". Next time I would use the bar in the transverse hole and *back* it through the hole from below - unless one had a way of reversing the spindle rotation. Which I don't.

        • crquack
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 3, 2009
            --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Jim E." <jim0000@...> wrote:

            > CR:
            >
            > I don't understand the "... unless one had a way of reversing the spindle
            > rotation" comment. Could you please explain?

            The boring bar in the transverse hole faces the wrong way. If you do manage to run it in reverse it is important to have some means to prevent unscrewing the head from the shank.