Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Mini Mill Vise

  • Mike Payson
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 2, 2009
      This is a good deal: http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3487&category=3

      On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 4:01 PM, Leonard Davis <lleeblues@...> wrote:

      Thanks Jim for posting this, Wondering where I could find it in the States. i have tried the Import model and it is mushy that last 1/4 turn to tight. I haven't tried the Phase II that may be better. Again, Thanks
      L.D.

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 3, 2009
        Hi all. This may be my first post, I've lurked quite a while here, it's a great resource.
        I just removed a new Phase II 3" Precision Milling Vise from my HF 44991 mini-mill in the midst of its maiden project. IMO the Phase II Kurt-Type Precision Milling Vise from LMS is just BARELY small enough to use effectively on an X2 clone, and that is with the swivel base removed. Not sure about a Tang (never seen one) but on the Grizzly and HF X2 clones the vertical clearance is tight, so low work pieces and short cutting tools may be all you can fit in there using this vise, and Y travel can be limited if it is mounted anywhere near center.
        In addition, the jaw pieces are quite short, limiting the types of parts you can stand up on parallels in the vise (w/o making & installing taller jaws).
        Finally, the jaws do not open as far as my original vise, the 3" Screwless w/ clamping slots
        http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2356
        The 3" Kurt-style jaws only open 2.85", while the screwless max is 3.95" (see http://www.littlemachineshop.com/info/vise_compare.php for more info)
        I like the ease of use of the Kurt-style vise, but I foresee it spending little time on the (tiny) bed of my mill, due to the limitations I've mentioned. Just my $0.02, YMMV.
        Cheers,

        --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Mike Payson <mike@...> wrote:

        > This is a good deal:
        > http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3487&category=3
        >
        > On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 4:01 PM, Leonard Davis <lleeblues@...> wrote:
        >

        > > Thanks Jim for posting this, Wondering where I could find it in the States.
        > > i have tried the Import model and it is mushy that last 1/4 turn to tight. I
        > > haven't tried the Phase II that may be better. Again, Thanks
        > > L.D.

      • Geoff
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 3, 2009
          It's a terrific deal! Pity the cost to ship to Australia is more than the cost of the items themselves :-(

          Regards
          Geoff
          --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Mike Payson <mike@...> wrote:

          > This is a good deal:
          > http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3487&category=3
          >
          > On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 4:01 PM, Leonard Davis <lleeblues@...> wrote:
          >

          > > Thanks Jim for posting this, Wondering where I could find it in the States.
          > > i have tried the Import model and it is mushy that last 1/4 turn to tight. I
          > > haven't tried the Phase II that may be better. Again, Thanks
          > > L.D.

        • Leo Reed
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 7, 2009
            Good Choice, I use the same type of vise. The non-lifting sliding jaw is a real plus.

            Leo (pearland, tx)

            From: Leonard Davis <lleeblues@yahoo. com>
            Subject: [GrizHFMinimill] Mini Mill Vise
            To: GrizHFMinimill@ yahoogroups. com