Thoughts on Thread Sizes

  • Carl
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2009
      Referring to the question about die sizes, often times hardware used in projects represent what was available to the person responsible for the design. In engine projects that I've built, the publisher of the plans has called for, example, 3-48, I usually sub a 4-40 because that is what is most available to me and has never caused a problem. 5-40 threads are used often and depending on the stress and space available, I've used 4-40 or 6-32, with no problems. I've just completed an IC engine of my own design, and used what I had available. It runs. Usually, using something close will suffice if the exact size is not available and/or is difficult to obtain. Let common sense prevail, but use what you feel comfortable with. One caveat, use quality fasteners, whatever size you use.

      Good evening to all.
      Carl Felty
    • a rien
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2009
        I agree, but in this case my other piece came with a 7/32 x 40 thread cut in it. I don't know if there's enough room to up it to maybe 1/4 x 28. Since I have found another source, I'll try going with the original first.
        Thanks
        Anthony

[...]

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional