Re: Z axis lock screwy

  • rezcar240
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 30, 2009
      Thanks, I remember reading that somewhere. Do you have any tips on how to adjust it?
    • W. Smith
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2009
        My manual didn't help, and being a noob myself... I can tell you what I
        did, but it may not be the 'correct' way. 1) set up a dial indicator
        under the head to measure vertical movement when locking the Z axis. 2)
        tightened the Z gib a little bit. 3) measured how much shift there was
        when locking the head. 4) repeated adjusting until the vertical shift I
        measured was all but gone -- checked/tweaked so that the head could
        still move freely without binding. At the "end" of the process, there
        was still about .0002"-.0005" vertical shift present that I decided I
        could not eliminate because tightening the gib further caused
        resistance/binding when moving the head.

        Bill

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1, 2009
          Thanks! I'll give it a shot. I may look in to the gas spring or counter weight setup too.