Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: questions on my new HF 44991

  • David Audette
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 22, 2001
      Ken,

      This one is *Critical* for yourself and any other new mill owners out
      there. Go to the files section of the group and look in the "minimill"
      folder and open the files labled "IMPORTANT". You *must* inspect and clean
      this area or you're likely to trash one of your main bearings very quickly.
      The pictures are self-explanatory and the fix ix quick and easy. Your mill
      was *NOT* manufactured in an ISO 9002 facility, be very aware of this.
      Cleaning this area should unquestionably be your first priority.

      Dave

      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 22, 2001
        Ken,

        Big Ooops there. I didn't notice which group this had come from ( As I
        just recently found and joined this one ) but everything I mentioned is
        still valid. The pics I refered to are actually posted here
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/7x10minilathe/files/MiniMill/ in the minilathe
        group. Many of thepeople in the minilathe group also have the Harbor Freight
        & Grizzly mills so there's a lot of conversation about them within that
        group. You may want to check out the group if your interests intersect. I'm
        not sure if you have to join the group to get at the pics or not.

        Basically what the pics show is a whole bunch of steel filings in your
        main bearing. There's a hole in the gearhead that's drilled and tapped
        *After* the gearhead and bearings are assembled so that when you remove the
        top inspection cover for the main bearing what you find is all the swarf
        from the drilling & tapping operation trapped in there and grinding itself
        into your bearing. the pics were posted by a listmember who found out the
        hard way what the order of operations were in this particular facility.
        virtually every machine that's been inspected since then has displayed the
        same swarf in the same location.

        Just a heads-up, do yourself a favor and check it out.

        Dave

      • catboat15@aol.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 22, 2001
          In a message dated 11/22/2001 8:35:14 PM Pacific Standard Time, david.audette@... writes:

          This one is *Critical* for yourself and any other new mill owners out
          there.

          thanks a lot, Dave.  I have used my new HF MM just for a fun try, but will strip and check for swarf around the bearings before I turn it on one more time.
          John Meacham
          California High Desert
          12 inch Atlas, Minimill, rusty file
        • boiade@aol.com
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 23, 2001
            I have used my new HF MM just for a fun try, but will
            > strip and check for swarf around the bearings before I turn it on
            one more>

            I did that today with my new HF Minimill which had been run for a few
            minutes over the past 3-4 days. No swarf or metal dust. Nice white
            lithium grease on the gears. Sprayed on more lithium grease to feel
            like I had done something and reassembled the thing. The nice quiet
            whirring of before is now uneven and noisy. Tried to match the
            original gear to gear match to get back to the quiet whirring but
            after many tries I gave up. I wouldn't recommend dismantling the
            head on a new HF mini mill if it has been run (or even if it hasn't
            as I suspect they run the things before they deliver them). It
            appears Central Machinery may have implemented a production change
            which does not result in metal in the gear box and they grease the
            gears.

            Ciao,

            Fred
          • David Audette
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 23, 2001
              I would hesitate to jump to that conclusion. there are just too many reports
              from other owners. Perhaps there's been a production change but I'm not sure
              when it occured, my mill arrived last weeks and had this problem. More than
              likey it depends upon how the little chinese guy who built your mill on that
              particular day was feeling.

              Did you just take the motor off and look at the gears themselves ? Once you
              get the motor off you need to remove the gear on the headstock, remove the 3
              screws holding the bearing cover on and remove the bearing cover. Once
              that's off you should see what I'm talking about. My machine has white
              grease on the gears you speak of but under that in the bearing recess there
              was nothing at all.

              My advise is worth only as much as you pay for it so please disregard me
              freely. I would strongly suggest that you poll other owners to get a clearer
              picture of the average condition of a new mill. I'm sure there are other
              sources of info but the best that I'm aware of is the mini-lathe group:
              own these mills and discuss them frequently. With a list membership of over
              1500 there are a lot of other mini-mill owners to talk to. for some reason
              the level of cross-subscription seems pretty low, I'm not sure how many on
              the other list are aware that this list exists. so much info is available
              there that many probably don't see the need to subscribe to this group or
              just plain don't know that someone started it.

              The last thing I'm looking to do is trick someone into extra or unnecessary
              work but there have been so many reports of this problem in the other groups
              that it's hard to imagine that it isn't the norm. who knows maybe a bunch of
              us all got units from a bad batch. I sure wouldn't bet my mill on it though.

              I've had mine apart several times and noticed no changes in pitch or
              anything else. I'd be afraid to *Not* take a new machine apart. Far far too
              many stories of casting sand left inside and no lubrication. The procedure
              to disassemble your gearhead is very nicely laid out step by step in the
              "Files" section of the minilathe group so many people have had problems. It
              truely is a resource you would be well served to investigate.

              I don't have the kind of money it takes to ignore my machines, so to me it's
              critical that I inspect them and know how to keep them running well. Others
              may have the financial resources to buy new machines every season or so ( I
              have friends who do this with cars, just have to have a new one every year.
              I never understood it but I acknowledge that this mindset exists in the
              world ).

              It hasn't been my intention to offend anyone here and I apologize now if I
              have.

              Gentlemen, my rant has ended.

            • boiade@aol.com
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 23, 2001
                Dave et al,

                Please disregard my previous post. As Dave correctly surmised I
                didn't go as deeply into the bowels of the machine as required. I
                have no problem taking things apart, I dismantle my race motors all
                the time. I do, however, like to see (and mark) the engagement of
                stationary gears so that I can reassemble them the way they have been
                worn in. Sounds like this is only a problem between the main drive
                gear and the motor pinion as when you lift the motor you disengage
                the gears blind. I am not imagining the extra noise though.

                I will take the bearing cover off and report back any nasties I find
                in the gear train you speak of.

                Ciao,

                Fred
              • David Audette
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 23, 2001
                  Fred,

                  Did you maybe change the hight of the gears relative to each other ? Check
                  out the files in the minilathe group it illustrates the problem and the fix
                  in a very forthright manner. I'll dig up some websites and post them later
                  on.

                  Dave
                  > Please disregard my previous post. As Dave correctly surmised I
                  > didn't go as deeply into the bowels of the machine as required. I
                  > have no problem taking things apart, I dismantle my race motors all
                  > the time. I do, however, like to see (and mark) the engagement of
                  > stationary gears so that I can reassemble them the way they have been
                  > worn in. Sounds like this is only a problem between the main drive
                  > gear and the motor pinion as when you lift the motor you disengage
                  > the gears blind. I am not imagining the extra noise though.
                  >
                  > I will take the bearing cover off and report back any nasties I find
                  > in the gear train you speak of.
                  >
                  > Ciao,
                  >
                  > Fred

                • David Audette
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 23, 2001
                    These are a few of the sites offering help and info for the HF/Grizzly
                    mini-mills:

                    http://www.mini-lathe.com/mini_mill/Grizzly7x12.htm

                    http://www.aerocom.ws/bedair/

                    http://www.members.accessus.net/~dwentz/metalworking/mini_mill/first_day.htm

                    http://warhammer.mcc.virginia.edu/ty/7x10/vault/Mills/G8689-MiniMill/Project
                    s-Mods/DriveBeltMod/MillBeltMod.html

                    http://www.mini-lathe.com/power_feed.htm

                    http://plsntcov.8m.com/grizzley.html

                    These should be helpfull and give you some ideas about what can be done with
                    these machines.

                    Dave

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 24, 2001
                      I addition to the excellent advice Ken gave, there was
                      a ton of molding sand, mold release and basically a
                      bunch of garbage in my gearbox on the minimill I
                      bought.

                      I wrote email to Grizzly about this and got both sets
                      of bearings replaced free postpaid.

                      FYI.

                      Barry

                      http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1
                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 24, 2001
                        I completely disassembled my new minimill and
                        painstakingly cleaned and deburred each and every
                        component before I turned it on. I highly recommend
                        deburring the lead screws for the table movements and
                        the spur gear for the elevating mechanism. This will
                        make your minimill last MUCH longer without having to
                        make replacement lead nuts.

                        For lubrication on the stuff that does not spin too
                        fast I recommend getting a tub of waterproof wheel
                        bearing grease from the auto parts store and thining
                        it with motor oil until it is about the consistency of
                        butter that has been at room temperature for a day or
                        so. Too stiff and it hampers easay axis movement, too
                        thin and it runs out.

                        Barry

                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 24, 2001
                          Nice rant Dave, and I agree totally.

                          Minimill owners unite! Rant to your hearts content.

                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 24, 2001
                            Took off the main gear and the plastic cover held by 3 allen bolts
                            over the main bearing. The area was clean as a whistle. No metal
                            shavings no dirt. Sprayed some white lithium grease on the bearing
                            and closed the mill back up. Still have more noise than when I
                            opened the thing up. Maybe it will wear in and I'll get that
                            whirring sound again.

                            Just to know I'm not hearing things, could any of you who open up the
                            mill to check for swarf listen before and after dismantling and let
                            me know if your mill gets noisier after reassembly. I am also
                            curious as to whether many of the newer HF mini-mills have the metal
                            shavings in the main bearing area.

                            Ciao,

                            Fred