Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: Another slitting saw question

  • Jim E.
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2009
      ...strange. I used a 4" on my Griz and it cut w/lots o' noise but nothing else.
      This was on some form of mild steel, using brush-applied cutting fluid. And,
      the setup was slightly out-of-round.

      Graciously,
      Jim E.
      Lakewood, CA
      All Hail Rube Goldberg!

      iamg0ku wrote:
      > It's funny, my first attempt at using a slitting saw on my x2 ended with exactly the same results as yours.
      >
      > I concluded that the x2 did not have sufficient hp to make the cut. I bet my new 45 clone does though...
      >
      > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "paul_in_pittsfield" <pkgloger@...> wrote:
      >
      >>Just tried to use a 3-1/2" dia. x 1/16" slitting saw to cut a slot through a piece of 1045 about 1/2" thick. Material is NOT hardened (all previous operations on the workpiece presented no problems).
      >>
      >>Setup: 3" mill vise with jaws parallel to X axis. Lower side of slot to be about 0.020" above vise jaws. Slot is to terminate at an existing 3/8" hole, the centerline of which is parallel to the Y axis. Running about 60 RPM (about 55 SFM).
      >>
      >>Tried plunging (locked Y axis, feed in X). Tried conventional milling (locked X axis, feed in Y). No luck either way. Lots of noise, lots of heat, easy stalling, very little cutting. Finished the job with a hack saw.
      >>
      >>Apparently my X2 doesn't have NEARLY enough torque.
      >>
      >>It appears from the last "Slitting saw" thread that some of you are using slitting saws routinely. What are you doing differently?
      >>
      >>Bigger mill? Bigger motor? Smaller saws? More mojo?
      >>
      >>Paul in Pittsfield

    • upand_at_them
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2009
        I know on table saws you can buy blade stiffeners, which are just large washers that go on both sides of the blade to reinforce it. Since you don't need to use the full depth of the blade you might try making something like that.

        Mike