Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: vise measurements

  • Shawn Greacen
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
      guy's,the 4" vice is not for my mini mill!!! heck,i hav'nt even got the mini running yet!

      the 4"er is for my large mill.a friend of mine who owns a cnc is making me a 1" tooling
      plate to cover my mill table.i need the exact measurments of the 4" k-type vise so he can
      incorporatethe mount points on the tooling plate.this way i can clamp any/everything i want
      directly to the plate.i'll show pics once its mounted!!

      i am also making my own plate for my mini mill.using 1/2" aluminum. once i get the new transponder
      soldered in place i will use the x2 as a precision drill press after i surface the tool plate for it.i mainly
      mill titanium and cpm steels,so the mini mill's wont do much for me! but will drill fine holes i'm sure!

      So again,if anyone has the vice i posted in the first powst,please let me know the measurments, center
      to center of the two mount points.thanks guys!

      On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 11:07 PM, Cliff. Johnston <moments-in-time@...> wrote:

      I bought a 4" Kurt-like vise from some outfit and use it on my drill press.  I love it there.

      Cliff.
      "May the best you've ever seen,
       Be the worst you'll ever see;"
      from A Scots Toast by Allan Ramsay
      From: lhbakeland <digitaltorque@...>
      Subject: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: vise measurements
      To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, March 31, 2009, 7:25 PM

      From my experience with all types of mini and micro mills including the X2 down to the Proxxon MF70, most beginners buy a larger vise than they will actually need. A 3 inch screwless is the largest I'd recommend. A 2-1/2" Enco is a good usable size. For me, I prefer the 2 inch.

      Four inches sould small. But the whole thing is huge, when you clamp it to the table on the X2 mini mill.

      Anything larger, I clamp to the table using clamping fixtures.

      Hope this helps,

      Leo