Re: Power feed

  • Marty Thompson
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 28, 2009
      --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Marty Thompson"
      <thompsmh@...> wrote:

      > I just purchased a X power feed (1905 from littlemachineshop.com)
      for
      > my mini mill, Well there is not many reviews out there, maybe
      someone
      > out there can answer some questions I have: The gearing needs to be
      > lower, The power feed will start pretty quickly if the moter is
      > turned up to about half throttle, but if it is at (that doesen't
      > happen very often, 4, 2 letter words in a row)quarter power, I have
      > timed it and it takes about 4 seconds (I can speed it up a bit by
      > using the hand wheel)or maybe someone that is more versed in
      > electronics can tell me if I could do something to thr board that
      > would delever more power at low speed, I have turned the dohickey
      on
      > the board all the way up (for torque) and it does not help, that is
      > about the only pressing question I have now.
      >
      > I read in one of the three reviews I found on the mill feed, one
      > fella said he wished it was faster, I don't know what he was cuting
      > but,I have not even reached half speed with mine , using a 1/2"
      > roughing knuckle solid carbide end mill and also a 3/8" standard
      cut
      > solid carbide end mill. Every review has said that the lead screw
      was
      > difficult to line up so it would not bind, I found this to be
      > accurate , however I just let the leadscrew nut float in its slot
      > (lossened the two setscrews, so as not to have a positive lock), I
      > took apart the power feed before I instlled it on my mill, only to
      > find (ooppss) that I could not decreace it's noise level. I was in
      the middle of a project , that was made in steel and not Alum. when I
      finished installing the power feed , I resumed cutting steel , and I
      noticed that I could cut faster with the power feed becuase the back
      lash was constantly out of the picture (as long as the gibs are
      adjusted correctly) when it was in the cut.

    • iamg0ku
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2009
        I'm far from an expert, but I tried everthing except switching out the
        resistor on the circuit board, and I cannot get that thing to function
        reliably.

        What makes it worse, is I hand lapped all my gibs on a granite block to
        perfection, then used auto polish and progressive tightening of the
        gibs while working the axes back and forth to give a very
        smooth "action" to all of my axes, and the damn power feed still
        doesn't work.
      • John Bernoth
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 6, 2014
          Hi Jim,
              F.O.R. sounds like it is a three throw switch, Forward,  Off,  Reverse. The O should be in the middle so you don't go straight from one direction to another - motors generally don't like that.
          Regards,
          John B