Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: which mill is this?

  • Lawrence Symms
    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 2, 2009
      800Watt took about 2 weeks to ship the items (2 separate purchases) but
      I expected that going in. Haven't heard anyone taking a month. That's
      pretty bad. Discount Machine was great and let me combine shipping.
      They just didn't have all the scales I needed at the time.

      a rien wrote:

      > If you want to buy without any grief, buy from Discount
      > Machine..800watt jerked me around for over a month for a set of
      > scales. They provide communication that's less useful than a drum
      > message. I had to go to pay pal to get action.
      > Anthony

      Windows Live™ Hotmail®:…more than just e-mail. Check it out.
    • Hubert Bahr
      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 2, 2009
        In response Lawrence

        I have DRO scales on each axis and they are nice for manual operations.
        However, they are not fast enough for CNC operations. I went low cost
        on Ball Screws etc. with Roton as higher precision screws get lost in
        the noise of other deficiencies of the Mini-Mill. 4 ft of Ball-Screw
        and 6 nuts for about $200. It was the scales that showed me how bad the
        backlash is. Another problem with the scales is that unless you protect
        them they will get jumpy etc. To read protected scales means you need a
        remote readout another $150-$200. So I use them for Manual operations
        and manual compensation of my motorized axis while I finish the
        machining for Ball-Screws.
        Hubert
      • Lawrence Symms
        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 2, 2009
          Yeah I'm planning on a DRO box or a PC readout at some point.
          Interesting point about the speed of the scales. I think there's a high
          speed mode on these but you're probably right that they'd still be too
          slow for CNC work.

          Hubert Bahr wrote:

          > In response Lawrence
          >
          > I have DRO scales on each axis and they are nice for manual operations.
          > However, they are not fast enough for CNC operations. I went low cost
          > on Ball Screws etc. with Roton as higher precision screws get lost in
          > the noise of other deficiencies of the Mini-Mill. 4 ft of Ball-Screw
          > and 6 nuts for about $200. It was the scales that showed me how bad the
          > backlash is. Another problem with the scales is that unless you protect
          > them they will get jumpy etc. To read protected scales means you need a
          > remote readout another $150-$200. So I use them for Manual operations
          > and manual compensation of my motorized axis while I finish the
          > machining for Ball-Screws.
          > Hubert

          Windows Live™ Hotmail®:…more than just e-mail. Check it out.
        • Michael Michalski
          Message 4 of 30 , Feb 2, 2009
            The high speed mode isnt too bad if you work it out. Still,I dont know if its fast enough.