Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: which mill is this?

  • a rien
    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 2, 2009
      If you want to buy without any grief, buy from Discount Machine..800watt jerked me around for over a month for a set of scales. They provide communication that's less useful than a drum message. I had to go to pay pal to get action.
      Anthony

      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 2, 2009
        800Watt took about 2 weeks to ship the items (2 separate purchases) but
        I expected that going in. Haven't heard anyone taking a month. That's
        pretty bad. Discount Machine was great and let me combine shipping.
        They just didn't have all the scales I needed at the time.

        a rien wrote:

        > If you want to buy without any grief, buy from Discount
        > Machine..800watt jerked me around for over a month for a set of
        > scales. They provide communication that's less useful than a drum
        > message. I had to go to pay pal to get action.
        > Anthony

        Windows Live™ Hotmail®:…more than just e-mail. Check it out.
      • Hubert Bahr
        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 2, 2009
          In response Lawrence

          I have DRO scales on each axis and they are nice for manual operations.
          However, they are not fast enough for CNC operations. I went low cost
          on Ball Screws etc. with Roton as higher precision screws get lost in
          the noise of other deficiencies of the Mini-Mill. 4 ft of Ball-Screw
          and 6 nuts for about $200. It was the scales that showed me how bad the
          backlash is. Another problem with the scales is that unless you protect
          them they will get jumpy etc. To read protected scales means you need a
          remote readout another $150-$200. So I use them for Manual operations
          and manual compensation of my motorized axis while I finish the
          machining for Ball-Screws.
          Hubert
        • Lawrence Symms
          Message 4 of 30 , Feb 2, 2009
            Yeah I'm planning on a DRO box or a PC readout at some point.
            Interesting point about the speed of the scales. I think there's a high
            speed mode on these but you're probably right that they'd still be too
            slow for CNC work.

            Hubert Bahr wrote:

            > In response Lawrence
            >
            > I have DRO scales on each axis and they are nice for manual operations.
            > However, they are not fast enough for CNC operations. I went low cost
            > on Ball Screws etc. with Roton as higher precision screws get lost in
            > the noise of other deficiencies of the Mini-Mill. 4 ft of Ball-Screw
            > and 6 nuts for about $200. It was the scales that showed me how bad the
            > backlash is. Another problem with the scales is that unless you protect
            > them they will get jumpy etc. To read protected scales means you need a
            > remote readout another $150-$200. So I use them for Manual operations
            > and manual compensation of my motorized axis while I finish the
            > machining for Ball-Screws.
            > Hubert

            Windows Live™ Hotmail®:…more than just e-mail. Check it out.
          • Michael Michalski
            Message 5 of 30 , Feb 2, 2009
              The high speed mode isnt too bad if you work it out. Still,I dont know if its fast enough.