Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Solid Edge 2D Drafting

  • Roger Langevin
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 3, 2008
      Barnes & Noble

      On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 6:15 PM, onebike2ride <JZ@...> wrote:

      Hi Group..!

      With all the discussion about PDF files and such I thought I'd ask
      about books & resources for the Solid Edge 2D drafting program. Any good
      sources or books I should know about?

      I have *NO* experience with drafting either manually or on the
      computer, and at this point I just went through the program's built in
      tutorial, which was helpful but left me with more questions than what I
      started with (like depicting threaded parts and etc. etc. ad infinitum).

      Since I do not have very much time invested yet, I could even try going
      to a different (hopefully free) drafting program if there are good books
      and such out there to help me along in some good basic detail until I
      get a better understanding of things. I am working under the
      _assumption_ that 2D would be a better start, to later expand into 3D,
      as opposed to just diving into 3D completely from scratch all at once.
      As a hobbiest I just want to be able to lay out my ideas in a reasonably
      professional manner for the time being, with maybe possibly some CNC
      applications later on down the road, but thats *way* down the road, so
      to speak. For now I basically just want to lay out my little engine or
      generator or whatnot gizmo designs on the computer screen, and hopefully
      make and fix most of my simple design mistakes there, instead of after
      wasting time & metal on my little lathe and milling machines. Any
      starting out advice welcome..! :-)

      Thanks,
      John Z.

      --
      Bear

      Help save American jobs, buy American.  The job you save could be your own.

      Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.  Ronald Reagan (1911 - 2004)

      'All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.'
      Edmund Burke

      'Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale,  and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged.' ~ President Abraham Lincoln

      'No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.'
      -- Ronald Reagan (1911 - 2004)

      Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"
    • loud3803
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 4, 2008
        I use Alibre Design, The express version is very easy to learn, the
        toutorials are extremely easy to follow. I started with no
        experience at all and found Alibre to be very usefull and easy to
        learn. The best part about the express version is that it is free.

        --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Brian Worth
        <electromodeler@...> wrote:

        > Hi John,
        >
        > As a drafter of waaaaay too many years, my advice to you would be
        to jump in with a 3d modelling program. They can almost all be used
        in 2d if you really want, but I have found that people with little
        or no drafting experience just seem to grasp 3d easier than 2d, it
        just seems more intuitive somehow. Depending on what you are wanting
        to achieve in the long run, look at google SketchUp, Alibre,
        CoCreate etc which are free to use for private use.

        > It may be daunting at first, but don't be afraid to play - you
        won't break anything after all. Most programs come with tutorials
        and have robust online communities. Once you can grasp the very
        basics, it will be A for Away...

        > Regards, Brian

      • onebike2ride
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 4, 2008
          --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "loud3803" <loud3803@...> wrote:

          > I use Alibre Design, The express version is very easy to learn, the
          > toutorials are extremely easy to follow. I started with no
          > experience at all and found Alibre to be very usefull and easy to
          > learn. The best part about the express version is that it is free.

          I'd originally downloaded and installed (some of) a number of CAD
          programs early this year, but shortly after that I had the hard drive
          suddenly decide to retire and so had to replace it, losing a lot of
          stuff like this in the process. I installed Alibre again yesterday and
          found I had to "convert" it to the crippled free version - I'd long ago
          lost my 30 days full functionality test drive time, and of course never
          got to use it with all the functions available. Ah well.

          I spent a little time today just getting started looking things over,
          and can see I'm going to need to find an "Alibre Design For Dummies"
          type of book. These CAD programs are not like the "Geico - so easy a
          caveman can do it" insurance commercials at all. I feel like I should
          have large prominant eyebrows below a low sloping forehead on my rather
          thick skull when I dive into this CAD stuff from scratch like this. :-)

          Alibre's "Standard" at $999 or Alibre "Professional" at $1499 seems
          like a kind of large punishment waiting for me if/when I become
          proficient enough with things to actually need the features that are
          crippled out on the free Express version. For comparison, I paid
          ~$400-ish for my HF 44991 mini-mill by combining a sale price with a %15
          off coupon, and $460 including shipping for my Cummins 7x12 mini-lathe
          back before they had to change their name to ToolsNow. Tack on ~$139ish
          for my sale-price - 15% coupon HF 4x6 bandsaw, and that is about equal
          to Alibre's "Standard" edition of their software alone... Thats quite a
          sticker shock for a penny punching hobbiest/caveman like me.

          So of course in my short overview of the Alibre software it DOES seem
          pretty nice, dammit. Sigh... I'll have to go back into my cave and
          assume "The Thinker" pose for awhile and ponder these things some more.
          Seems like I used to be much faster at picking things up, somehow.

          Ooog,
          John Z.
        • Goran Hosinsky
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 4, 2008
            Has anyone compared these three programs google SketchUp, Alibre,
            CoCreate? I do only occasionally drawing and if the program is
            complicated I have to re-learn it each time - not very good.
            I am not experienced in that type of program. Downloading and
            testing seems to take a day or two for each program before I
            see if it is what I need. Too much time that could be used
            for nicer things. So if anyone has done this work, please
            publish the results!
            Goran

          • Bob Hawley
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 4, 2008
              Join the club John, all of use slope heads (caveman) meet at the back of the darkest cave once a month and wonder why some part of our mind doesn¬ít work like the people that make these programs.  bob

              Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2008 2:28 PM
              Subject: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: Solid Edge 2D Drafting

              --- In GrizHFMinimill@ yahoogroups. com, "loud3803" <loud3803@.. .> wrote:

              > I use Alibre Design,
              The express version is very easy to learn, the
              > toutorials are extremely
              easy to follow. I started with no
              > experience at all and found Alibre to
              be very usefull and easy to
              > learn. The best part about the express
              version is that it is free.

              I'd originally downloaded and installed (some of) a number of CAD
              programs early this year, but shortly after that I had the hard drive
              suddenly decide to retire and so had to replace it, losing a lot of
              stuff like this in the process. I installed Alibre again yesterday and
              found I had to "convert" it to the crippled free version - I'd long ago
              lost my 30 days full functionality test drive time, and of course never
              got to use it with all the functions available. Ah well.

              I spent a little time today just getting started looking things over,
              and can see I'm going to need to find an "Alibre Design For Dummies"
              type of book. These CAD programs are not like the "Geico - so easy a
              caveman can do it" insurance commercials at all. I feel like I should
              have large prominant eyebrows below a low sloping forehead on my rather
              thick skull when I dive into this CAD stuff from scratch like this. :-)

              Alibre's "Standard" at $999 or Alibre "Professional" at $1499 seems
              like a kind of large punishment waiting for me if/when I become
              proficient enough with things to actually need the features that are
              crippled out on the free Express version. For comparison, I paid
              ~$400-ish for my HF 44991 mini-mill by combining a sale price with a %15
              off coupon, and $460 including shipping for my Cummins 7x12 mini-lathe
              back before they had to change their name to ToolsNow. Tack on ~$139ish
              for my sale-price - 15% coupon HF 4x6 bandsaw, and that is about equal
              to Alibre's "Standard" edition of their software alone... Thats quite a
              sticker shock for a penny punching hobbiest/caveman like me.

              So of course in my short overview of the Alibre software it DOES seem
              pretty nice, dammit. Sigh... I'll have to go back into my cave and
              assume "The Thinker" pose for awhile and ponder these things some more.
              Seems like I used to be much faster at picking things up, somehow.

              Ooog,
              John Z.

            • Tim McDonough
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 4, 2008
                It is no where near the same class tool as AutoCAD, Alibre, Solid
                Works, etc. but for hobbyist type needs of documenting simple projects
                in 2D I've found that DeltaCAD <http://www.deltacad.com/> at about
                $40USD works pretty well. It will let you export/import DXF format
                drawings and files to exchange stuff with other programs.

                In a former business I used DeltaCAD to produce files that a contract
                laser cutter used to produce model airplane parts for my kits.

                Tim

                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 4, 2008
                  It can get much much worse.

                  I just installed a legal non-pirated version of MasterCAM X3. OMG!!!

                  Barry

                  > > I use Alibre Design, The express version is very easy
                  > to learn, the
                  > > toutorials are extremely easy to follow. I started
                  > with no
                  > > experience at all and found Alibre to be very usefull
                  > and easy to
                  > > learn. The best part about the express version is that
                  > it is free.
                  >
                  > I'd originally downloaded and installed (some of) a
                  > number of CAD
                  > programs early this year, but shortly after that I had the
                  > hard drive
                  > suddenly decide to retire and so had to replace it, losing
                  > a lot of
                  > stuff like this in the process. I installed Alibre again
                  > yesterday and
                  > found I had to "convert" it to the crippled free
                  > version - I'd long ago
                  > lost my 30 days full functionality test drive time, and of
                  > course never
                  > got to use it with all the functions available. Ah well.
                  >
                  > I spent a little time today just getting started looking
                  > things over,
                  > and can see I'm going to need to find an "Alibre
                  > Design For Dummies"
                  > type of book. These CAD programs are not like the
                  > "Geico - so easy a
                  > caveman can do it" insurance commercials at all. I
                  > feel like I should
                  > have large prominant eyebrows below a low sloping forehead
                  > on my rather
                  > thick skull when I dive into this CAD stuff from scratch
                  > like this. :-)
                  >
                  > Alibre's "Standard" at $999 or Alibre
                  > "Professional" at $1499 seems
                  > like a kind of large punishment waiting for me if/when I
                  > become
                  > proficient enough with things to actually need the features
                  > that are
                  > crippled out on the free Express version. For comparison, I
                  > paid
                  > ~$400-ish for my HF 44991 mini-mill by combining a sale
                  > price with a %15
                  > off coupon, and $460 including shipping for my Cummins 7x12
                  > mini-lathe
                  > back before they had to change their name to ToolsNow. Tack
                  > on ~$139ish
                  > for my sale-price - 15% coupon HF 4x6 bandsaw, and that is
                  > about equal
                  > to Alibre's "Standard" edition of their
                  > software alone... Thats quite a
                  > sticker shock for a penny punching hobbiest/caveman like
                  > me.
                  >
                  > So of course in my short overview of the Alibre software it
                  > DOES seem
                  > pretty nice, dammit. Sigh... I'll have to go back into
                  > my cave and
                  > assume "The Thinker" pose for awhile and ponder
                  > these things some more.
                  > Seems like I used to be much faster at picking things up,
                  > somehow.
                  >
                  > Ooog,
                  > John Z.

                • Goran Hosinsky
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 4, 2008
                    I am using Deltacad. It is easy and intuitive but the export function
                    leaves a lot to be desired. I made a azimuth scale 80 cm diameter
                    for my telescope. The printers could not read the delta cad format,
                    the exported DXF version had lost all formatting of line width etc.
                    Goran

                  • Tim McDonough
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 5, 2008
                      I do not have the latest version yet but a newly added feature claims
                      to read/write .DWG format files. I am not a CAD expert but over the
                      years I have not been overly impressed with .DXF. It seems as if it
                      has some quirk on nearly any system. That could be the nature of the
                      beast.

                      I primarily use DeltaCAD as a documentation tool where I send other
                      people paper or PDF prints. If more of my work involved exchanging
                      data I'd be tempted to research other tools and make a more
                      substantial investment.

                      Tim

                      Goran Hosinsky wrote:

> [...]
                      > >> proficient enough with things to actually need the features that are
                      > >> crippled out on the free Express version. For comparison, I paid
                      > >> ~$400-ish for my HF 44991 mini-mill by combining a sale price with a %15
                      > >> off coupon, and $460 including shipping for my Cummins 7x12 mini-lathe
                      > >> back before they had to change their name to ToolsNow. Tack on ~$139ish
                      > >> for my sale-price - 15% coupon HF 4x6 bandsaw, and that is about equal
                      > >> to Alibre's "Standard" edition of their software alone... Thats quite a
                      > >> sticker shock for a penny punching hobbiest/caveman like me.
                      > >>
                      > >> So of course in my short overview of the Alibre software it DOES seem
                      > >> pretty nice, dammit. Sigh... I'll have to go back into my cave and
                      > >> assume "The Thinker" pose for awhile and ponder these things some more.
                      > >> Seems like I used to be much faster at picking things up, somehow.

                    • Goran Hosinsky
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 5, 2008
                        It is easy to use and that is a important point. How do you get
                        the PDF from deltacad?
                        Goran

                      • Tim McDonough
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 5, 2008
                          I use a free utility called CutePDF Writer on all my Windows machines.
                          It installs as a printer and allows you to create a PDF file from any
                          program that would normally be able to use a real printer. You just
                          select it as your "printer" and off it goes.

                          <http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp>

                          Tim

                          Goran Hosinsky wrote:

                          > It is easy to use and that is a important point. How do you get
                          > the PDF from deltacad?
                          > Goran
                        • Bill Black
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 5, 2008
                            Hi all,
                            I will leave lurking mode for this one. I am an engineering student
                            and have a Alibre Design Expert seat that I actually paid full price
                            for. I also have acquired, through various academic programs, AutoCAD
                            Inventor and Solidworks.
                            IMHO: Alibre is the best deal for the money. Unfortunately it is not
                            popular enough to have a "Dummies" or any other book published about
                            it yet. Solidworks is the best 3D CAD program that I have used. The
                            interface is more intuitive and the tools more comprehensive. Inventor
                            is possibly the most powerful, but the interface is hopelessly
                            complicated for any but the person that uses it daily (and I don't).
                            Now...for the good part...how to get it cheaper:
                            Full versions of outdated software on EBay..make darned sure it isn't
                            pirated or stolen and ask specifically if you can register the
                            software with the company. If they stutter or say no..well..it may or
                            may not work for you.
                            If there is a student in your household or if you are related to
                            one...investigate the student editions. Some companies also have
                            a "Personal Edition" as well. Often if you call the sales department
                            you can get a free trial copy of the full version-once in a while you
                            can get a free copy. These companies really want more folks to use
                            their software. They know the average person cannot afford it for home
                            use, so they give deals on it like Personal and Student Editions.
                            Their profits come from selling to corporations/businesses, not
                            students or individuals. Some student editions are "feature-limited"
                            so one should check to make sure that the features you want to use are
                            not the ones that are limited. AutoCAD student editions generally have
                            an imprint on each files that points out that it was produced by
                            student edition software. No big deal to you and I, but if you
                            submitted those drawings for a commercial project that imprint might
                            be embarassing!
                            Prices:
                            Solidworks Student Edition is around $100 USD at most places for a 2
                            year license.
                            Pro/E is about $130 USD for the Student Version and $250 USD for
                            the "Personal Edition"
                            Alibre Design Expert "Student Edition" $198.95 @ studica.com
                            There are several places to buy student and personal editions: Google
                            is your friend.
                            Hope this helps someone,
                            Returning to studying for finals/ lurking mode ON.
                            :)
                          • Goran Hosinsky
                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 5, 2008
                              Thanks!