Re: Bind in my Y travel at the ends

  • jwenzelqwestnet
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 5, 2002
      Well, after a great deal of work, I have reduced the bind to almost
      nothing.

      I noticed that the gib was showing signs of wear along the top forward
      and rear. I did take your advice and checked the dovetail with the
      drill rod and observed no variance. From where the gib was wearing,
      it was obvious that the very top edge of the dovetail at the very
      front and very back of it's length (.75") was where the bind was
      coming from. I spent a great deal of time drawing a 45 degree file
      (resting on a piece of 1/4" aluminum to raise it against the upper 1/2
      of the dovetail) and this did the trick. I had to remove the column
      to give me clearance at the back of the dovetail. As a final step, I
      used some 800 grit forming a Z in between the doevtail and the gib to
      finish cleaning it up.

      Anyways, I'm back up and making chips. Thanks for the advice!

      Scott Wenzel
      Tempe, AZ

      --- In GrizHFMinimill@y..., "klauszietlow" <klauszietlow@y...> wrote:
      > I doubt that the nut, screw or gib have anything to do with your
      > problem. If you take out the lead screw and move the table by hand
      > you will still have the binding at the extremes. The only logical
      > explanation is that the dovetails in the base are not cut right.
      Take