Additional Mill Tools & Accessories

  • ajdemarco88
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 4, 2002
      OK! so now I have my new mill, all cleaned and ways lapped. Aside
      from a set of end mills and collets, what tools and accessories will
      I need. Should I have a rotary table with tail stock and dividing
      plates? What size? Do need a boring head and what size? What
      preference do you have as far as supplier goes for the major tools?

      Thanks in advance

      Andy
    • Harvey White
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 4, 2002
        On Tue, 05 Nov 2002 04:39:10 -0000, you wrote:

        >OK! so now I have my new mill, all cleaned and ways lapped. Aside
        >from a set of end mills and collets, what tools and accessories will
        >I need.

        clamp set, vise, squares, digital calipers, dovetail mills (generally
        useful), center drills, center finder. things like that.

        >Should I have a rotary table with tail stock and dividing
        >plates?

        That's neat to have.

        >What size?

        6 inch is the maximum practical size on a mini mill. 4 inches will
        work, but lacks some of the size you might need. Tail stock would be
        nice as well, don't have one myself...

        >Do need a boring head and what size?

        2 inch is about the practical limit.

        >What
        >preference do you have as far as supplier goes for the major tools?

        Grizzly, Enco, HF (sometimes, better if a store is in the area)

        Wholesale Tools is also decent, depending on the item.

        >Thanks in advance
        >
        >Andy

        Harvey
      • Jim E.
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 5, 2002
          A caution on 6" rotary tables: they weigh 40+ lbs. and when in the
          vertical mode, the table can get in the way of the mini-mill's spindle
          box if you're doing close-in work. If you're only going to mount work
          items on it using the 7x10's chuck various chucks, you don't need
          anything larger than a 4" dia. table (imagine the combined weight of a
          6" table AND a 6" chuck!!!)

          Graciously,
          Jim
          Lakewood, CA
          All Hail Rube Goldberg!

          <snip>

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 9, 2002
            Hi Andy:

            What you need depends totally on what you want to do
            with the machine.

            Barry Young

            http://launch.yahoo.com/u2