Re: Cutting a valve face at 45 degree

  • Edward
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 5, 2008
      KN,
      I would start on the out side, feeding in at 45 degrees, taking
      multiple cuts , and working up to the correct diameter.

      Ed V

      --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "kn592" <kn592@...> wrote:

      > Thanks Ed.
      > Also I need to machine the valve seat and give it a 45 degree angle.
      > Please see the drawing called valveseat.JPG under files, A_Valve
      > folder.
      >
      > How do I suppose to cut the valve seat? Feed the carriage until the
      > cutting tool touches the edge of the valve seat and then start
      > feeding the compound?
      > Or the cutting tool should be inside the hole and then use compound
      > to go back and forth?
      >

      > Thanks
      > Kn
      > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Edward" <eallenvaness@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > KN952,
      > >
      > > Set compound at 45 degrees. The crank handle will be close to your
      > chuck.
      > >
      > > Ed V
      > >

      > > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "kn592" <kn592@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi everyone
      > > > I need to make a small Model engine valve. I want the valve face
      > > > be 45 degree. Question is do I need to set the cross slid to 22.5
      > > > degree orset it at 45 degree.
      > > >
      > > > I'm attaching a simple drawing of how I want to setup the lathe
      > and do
      > > > the cut.
      > > > for drawing look under Files, A_Valve folder
      > > >
      > > > Thanks

    • rtupernny
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 6, 2008
        --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "kn592" <kn592@...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone
        > I need to make a small Model engine valve. I want the valve face
        > be 45 degree. Question is do I need to set the cross slid to 22.5
        > degree orset it at 45 degree.
        >
        > I'm attaching a simple drawing of how I want to setup the lathe and
        do
        > the cut.
        > for drawing look under Files, A_Valve folder
        >
        > Thanks

        The easiest way I have found to cut the valves and seats is to take a
        1/4" HSS plank and grind it to 45 degrees then feed it straight into
        the valve and the seat slowly.
        I have made many valves and seats this way.
        If the seat is real small you could use a 1/8" HSS plank.

        Richard
      • kn592
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 7, 2008
          Once everything is set correctly, do you feed the compound or
          carriage handwheel?

          also given the seat 45 angle is it same as given it 45 degree tapper?

          wrote:

          > KN,
          > I would start on the out side, feeding in at 45 degrees, taking
          > multiple cuts , and working up to the correct diameter.
          >
          > Ed V
          >
          > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "kn592" <kn592@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Thanks Ed.
          > > Also I need to machine the valve seat and give it a 45 degree
          angle.
          > > Please see the drawing called valveseat.JPG under files, A_Valve
          > > folder.
          > >
          > > How do I suppose to cut the valve seat? Feed the carriage until
          the
          > > cutting tool touches the edge of the valve seat and then start
          > > feeding the compound?
          > > Or the cutting tool should be inside the hole and then use
          compound
          > > to go back and forth?
          > >

          > > Thanks
          > > Kn
          > > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Edward" <eallenvaness@>
          > > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > KN952,
          > > >
          > > > Set compound at 45 degrees. The crank handle will be close to
          your
          > > chuck.
          > > >
          > > > Ed V

          > > and do

        • Edward VanEss
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 7, 2008
            KN592
            to machine the valve seat , set the compound to 45 degrees. use a small boring bar. take slack out of compound ,bring tool to face and to bore . now using just the compound crank  , start cutting in  ,  then out , increasing your diameter with the cross slide, till you get your diameter.This seat should then be lapped with your valve.

             Edward A. VanEss