Re: [GrizHFMinimill] A fan question...

  • Skip Evans
    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 1, 2002

      I understand your sentiments 100%.

       Barry Young <barryjyoung@...> wrote:

       I often sit back and look at my
      minimill with a sort of serene happiness too.

      Skip Evans
      http://skipevans.homestead.com

      Do you Yahoo!?
      HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now

    • dswr@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 25 , Nov 1, 2002
        Barry,

        I spend too much of my time admiring my machines! That's why I get so
        few projects accomplished. 8-)

        But, I can't wait to see this little critter in action. I've done all
        my milling with a drillpress or a milling attachment on my lathe.

        The only thing that has me a wee bit disappointed in the mill, is the
        lower limit of the distance of the spindle to the table.

        Steve Bedair was kind enough to show me a way around this. I was
        wondering if this is a concern to other users of this mill?

        Leo (cool in pearland, and... and.. the rain is gone!)
      • dswr@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 25 , Nov 1, 2002
          Skip,

          Looks like we found another double meaning of a word. Fan (as in cool
          man) and Fan (as in groupie)!

          Goes right along with Thread and Thread! 8-)

          Leo (is it cool in alvin too?)
        • Rich Goldner
          Message 4 of 25 , Nov 1, 2002
            Another option is to convert to the air spring and get the longer
            rack. LMS has the conversion kit and rack available for $70 total.
            This will allow the head to go all the way down (until it touches
            the Z-axis stop slide all the way at the bottom).

            Message 5 of 25 , Nov 1, 2002
              Thanks, Bill.

              I figured it would draw air in, instead of forcing it out. Makes sense,
              that the screen will catch and trap the dust, so it will be easy to
              remove.

              The fan, itself, is the culprit. 18 volts on the output terminals of the
              power supply. Grizzly has agreed to ship me one.

              Leo (pearland, tx)
            • Harvey White
              Message 6 of 25 , Nov 1, 2002
                On Fri, 1 Nov 2002 06:33:28 -0600 (CST), you wrote:

                >Barry,
                >
                >I spend too much of my time admiring my machines! That's why I get so
                >few projects accomplished. 8-)
                >
                >But, I can't wait to see this little critter in action. I've done all
                >my milling with a drillpress or a milling attachment on my lathe.
                >
                >The only thing that has me a wee bit disappointed in the mill, is the
                >lower limit of the distance of the spindle to the table.

                If you move the attach point of the arm up by about 1 to 1 1/4 inches,
                you'll get more downwards travel. Removing that little nylon stop at
                the top let the arm control the travel, and I gained some there.

                Harvey

                >Steve Bedair was kind enough to show me a way around this. I was
                >wondering if this is a concern to other users of this mill?
                >
                >Leo (cool in pearland, and... and.. the rain is gone!)
              • Jim E.
                Message 7 of 25 , Nov 1, 2002
                  There's a way to gain some at the bottom, but you have to temporarily
                  remove the spindle assembly from the fuselage to do it. What you do is
                  1. unscrew the handle that holds the limit block (pn #65) and remove
                  the gib
                  2. temporarily raise the spindle assembly off the fuselage and lift the
                  limit block off the fuselage
                  3. put the spindle assembly back on (you won't take it off again)
                  4. cut about 1/8" off of the sharp wedge edge of the limit block from
                  the side opposite the handle. At this point you should be able to put
                  the limit block back on the fuselage, without the gib, handle side
                  first. If necessary, cut a little more off until you can fit it back
                  on.
                  5. place the gib and handle back in and tighten down.

                  This gives you the ability to use the limit block, yet remove it for
                  more downward travel if desired. To remove it, just remove the handle
                  and gib and pull it away from the fuselage. Install in reverse order.

                  Graciously,
                  Jim
                  Lakewood, CA
                  All Hail Rube Goldberg!

                  dswr@... wrote:

                  > Barry,
                  <snip>

                  Message 8 of 25 , Nov 1, 2002
                    Jim,

                    Does your mill have the air-spring counter balance? This mill uses a
                    torsion bar counter balance. The supporting shank (so called) that
                    stabilizes the head position on the column (fuselage) stops the head
                    lower limit of travel before the head touches the position clamp, that
                    is at it's lowest position.

                    The air spring does not seem to impose this constraint on the head. I
                    wonder why it was abandoned for the torsion bar?

                    I'm thinking that installing a mill holder in the spindle, will get me
                    lower to the table. I have a set of bushings that would allow me to use
                    various size mill cutter shanks in a 1/2 inch holder.

                    Leo (pearland, tx)
                  • Chris Wood
                    Message 9 of 25 , Nov 1, 2002
                      Leo:

                      The air spring does not offer that constraint. You can lower the head until
                      the contacts the Z-axis stop at the bottom.

                      Your idea of using an end mill holder is good. It will extend the reach
                      about 1.5".

                      The air spring was abandoned because of cost. Parts on these machines that
                      the factory can't make are much more expensive than the parts they do make.
                      All the torsion spring parts are easily made, and I'll bet they add up to
                      less than the cost of the air spring alone.

                      Regards,
                      Chris Wood
                      LittleMachineShop.com <www.littlemachineshop.com>
                      The premier source of parts and accessories for mini lathes and mini mills.
                      221 E. Walnut St. #110, Pasadena, CA 91101
                      (800)981-9663 * Fax (626)584-5844

                      Message 10 of 25 , Nov 1, 2002
                        Yes, I do. That question went around awhile back in the 7x10 group, and
                        speculation could never come to a consensus on the reason why. The LMS
                        conversion kit was 'created' because of the limitations of the
                        spring-assist function.

                        And yes, a mill holder will definitely get you closer. I have some o5
                        from Grizzley and the head length is about 2". That might be a quicker
                        and easier route.

                        Let us know what you end up doing.

                        Graciously,
                        Jim
                        Lakewood, CA
                        All Hail Rube Goldberg!

                      • dswr@webtv.net
                        Message 11 of 25 , Nov 1, 2002
                          Chris,

                          Thanks for the information. An "improvement" in an item is not always
                          exactly what one thinks. (in this case, as in others, it is an
                          improvement in the bottom line of the manufacturer)

                          With all the excessive play (back lash) in the Z axis, maybe a jack
                          screw adjustment would be an improvement. (but, I would not want to be
                          the one who has to crank it up against the weight of the head!)

                          Leo (pearland, tx)
                        • Ron Yost
                          Message 12 of 25 , Nov 2, 2002
                            >And yes, a mill holder will definitely get you closer. I have some o5
                            >from Grizzley and the head length is about 2". That might be a quicker
                            >and easier route.

                            I'm guessing you guys are talking about MiniMills with morse taper
                            spindles? The R8 spindle on some MiniMills (like my HF) sticks down about
                            an inch lower to begin with, IIRC. Of course, that also means there's
                            about an inch less max distance between the table and the spindle.
                            As they say, there ain't no free lunch. :)

                            Ron Yost
                          • dswr@webtv.net
                            Message 13 of 25 , Nov 2, 2002
                              Yes, my mill is a Grizz. #3 MT. (had a hard time dislodging the drill
                              chuck... instructions: gently tap on the loosened drawbar to dislodge...
                              ha!)

                              The type of milling I've done so far, has been close to the table.
                              (milling a piston rod, frames for a steam engine) Maximum height was not
                              a problem, however when going from a twist drill to a endmill, a wide
                              range is quite desirable.

                              I am going to order a endmill holder from Grizzly on Monday.

                              I just finished mounting the mill on a "roll around" table. (i was in
                              the tv, electronics business and have a bunch of these tables) They can
                              support quite a bit of weight. I topped the table with 1.25" thick chip
                              board planks. On top of that, I layered 3 layers of 3/4" MDF, 4 1/2"
                              back of the front of the table. (so the Y axis hand wheel will not
                              protrude past the edge of the table) These are 11" x 18.5", topped by a
                              sheet of 1/8" steel. Moving the mill around the shop seems to be a plus.
                              I'll report the results, after I've tried it a few times.

                              Now, all I have to do is wait for the cooling fan replacement and I'll
                              be in business!

                              Leo (pearland, tx.. it's raining again. 8-( )

                              BTW: taking the column off the mill allows one man (i guess i'm a weeny)
                              8-) to move the mill. But, be careful! It's a handful to mate back
                              together.
                              Message 14 of 25 , Nov 3, 2002
                                Hi Leo:

                                It was a concern when I first got the machine. Now I
                                just unbolt the counterbalance arm when I need to get
                                low. When I change to a weighted counterbalance, that
                                won't be a concern at all.

                                Barry Young

                                http://webhosting.yahoo.com/
                              • dswr@webtv.net
                                Message 15 of 25 , Nov 3, 2002
                                  Barry,

                                  What are the things to watch for when (and how) I disconnect the counter
                                  balance arm?

                                  I remember when I was converting my drill press to a mill, I
                                  disconnected the counterbalance spring, and it got away from me! (had a
                                  nasty tear in my right hand between the thumb and the.. the pointing
                                  finger! 8-) )

                                  Leo (gee, it's raining again in pearland... gonna trade my JD 850 for a
                                  boat)
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Nov 9, 2002
                                    Youch!!!!

                                    You are right, I should have mentioned that with the
                                    counterbalance disconnected that the head goes South
                                    with a vengence.

                                    Thanks

                                    Barry Young

                                    http://launch.yahoo.com/u2