Re: [GrizHFMinimill] A fan question...

    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 31, 2002
      Hi Leo:

      Mine runs whenever the power is on.

      Come to think of it, I often sit back and look at my
      minimill with a sort of serene happiness too.

      Barry Young

      --- dswr@... wrote:
      > I been admiring my mini-mill and I noticed that the
      > little fan, inside
      > of the electronic drive box, is not running. Is this
      > normal? Does the
      > machine have to get hot before it starts? Or, is it
      > a defect?
      >
      > Leo (pearland, tx)

      http://webhosting.yahoo.com/
    • Skip Evans
      Message 2 of 25 , Nov 1, 2002

        I understand your sentiments 100%.

         Barry Young <barryjyoung@...> wrote:

         I often sit back and look at my
        minimill with a sort of serene happiness too.

        Skip Evans
        http://skipevans.homestead.com

        Do you Yahoo!?
        HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now

      • dswr@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 25 , Nov 1, 2002
          Barry,

          I spend too much of my time admiring my machines! That's why I get so
          few projects accomplished. 8-)

          But, I can't wait to see this little critter in action. I've done all
          my milling with a drillpress or a milling attachment on my lathe.

          The only thing that has me a wee bit disappointed in the mill, is the
          lower limit of the distance of the spindle to the table.

          Steve Bedair was kind enough to show me a way around this. I was
          wondering if this is a concern to other users of this mill?

          Leo (cool in pearland, and... and.. the rain is gone!)
        • dswr@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 25 , Nov 1, 2002
            Skip,

            Looks like we found another double meaning of a word. Fan (as in cool
            man) and Fan (as in groupie)!

            Goes right along with Thread and Thread! 8-)

            Leo (is it cool in alvin too?)
          • Rich Goldner
            Message 5 of 25 , Nov 1, 2002
              Another option is to convert to the air spring and get the longer
              rack. LMS has the conversion kit and rack available for $70 total.
              This will allow the head to go all the way down (until it touches
              the Z-axis stop slide all the way at the bottom).

              Message 6 of 25 , Nov 1, 2002
                Thanks, Bill.

                I figured it would draw air in, instead of forcing it out. Makes sense,
                that the screen will catch and trap the dust, so it will be easy to
                remove.

                The fan, itself, is the culprit. 18 volts on the output terminals of the
                power supply. Grizzly has agreed to ship me one.

                Leo (pearland, tx)
              • Harvey White
                Message 7 of 25 , Nov 1, 2002
                  On Fri, 1 Nov 2002 06:33:28 -0600 (CST), you wrote:

                  >Barry,
                  >
                  >I spend too much of my time admiring my machines! That's why I get so
                  >few projects accomplished. 8-)
                  >
                  >But, I can't wait to see this little critter in action. I've done all
                  >my milling with a drillpress or a milling attachment on my lathe.
                  >
                  >The only thing that has me a wee bit disappointed in the mill, is the
                  >lower limit of the distance of the spindle to the table.

                  If you move the attach point of the arm up by about 1 to 1 1/4 inches,
                  you'll get more downwards travel. Removing that little nylon stop at
                  the top let the arm control the travel, and I gained some there.

                  Harvey

                  >Steve Bedair was kind enough to show me a way around this. I was
                  >wondering if this is a concern to other users of this mill?
                  >
                  >Leo (cool in pearland, and... and.. the rain is gone!)
                • Jim E.
                  Message 8 of 25 , Nov 1, 2002
                    There's a way to gain some at the bottom, but you have to temporarily
                    remove the spindle assembly from the fuselage to do it. What you do is
                    1. unscrew the handle that holds the limit block (pn #65) and remove
                    the gib
                    2. temporarily raise the spindle assembly off the fuselage and lift the
                    limit block off the fuselage
                    3. put the spindle assembly back on (you won't take it off again)
                    4. cut about 1/8" off of the sharp wedge edge of the limit block from
                    the side opposite the handle. At this point you should be able to put
                    the limit block back on the fuselage, without the gib, handle side
                    first. If necessary, cut a little more off until you can fit it back
                    on.
                    5. place the gib and handle back in and tighten down.

                    This gives you the ability to use the limit block, yet remove it for
                    more downward travel if desired. To remove it, just remove the handle
                    and gib and pull it away from the fuselage. Install in reverse order.

                    Graciously,
                    Jim
                    Lakewood, CA
                    All Hail Rube Goldberg!

                    dswr@... wrote:

                    > Barry,
                    <snip>

                    Message 9 of 25 , Nov 1, 2002
                      Jim,

                      Does your mill have the air-spring counter balance? This mill uses a
                      torsion bar counter balance. The supporting shank (so called) that
                      stabilizes the head position on the column (fuselage) stops the head
                      lower limit of travel before the head touches the position clamp, that
                      is at it's lowest position.

                      The air spring does not seem to impose this constraint on the head. I
                      wonder why it was abandoned for the torsion bar?

                      I'm thinking that installing a mill holder in the spindle, will get me
                      lower to the table. I have a set of bushings that would allow me to use
                      various size mill cutter shanks in a 1/2 inch holder.

                      Leo (pearland, tx)
                    • Chris Wood
                      Message 10 of 25 , Nov 1, 2002
                        Leo:

                        The air spring does not offer that constraint. You can lower the head until
                        the contacts the Z-axis stop at the bottom.

                        Your idea of using an end mill holder is good. It will extend the reach
                        about 1.5".

                        The air spring was abandoned because of cost. Parts on these machines that
                        the factory can't make are much more expensive than the parts they do make.
                        All the torsion spring parts are easily made, and I'll bet they add up to
                        less than the cost of the air spring alone.

                        Regards,
                        Chris Wood
                        LittleMachineShop.com <www.littlemachineshop.com>
                        The premier source of parts and accessories for mini lathes and mini mills.
                        221 E. Walnut St. #110, Pasadena, CA 91101
                        (800)981-9663 * Fax (626)584-5844

                        Message 11 of 25 , Nov 1, 2002
                          Yes, I do. That question went around awhile back in the 7x10 group, and
                          speculation could never come to a consensus on the reason why. The LMS
                          conversion kit was 'created' because of the limitations of the
                          spring-assist function.

                          And yes, a mill holder will definitely get you closer. I have some o5
                          from Grizzley and the head length is about 2". That might be a quicker
                          and easier route.

                          Let us know what you end up doing.

                          Graciously,
                          Jim
                          Lakewood, CA
                          All Hail Rube Goldberg!

                        • dswr@webtv.net
                          Message 12 of 25 , Nov 1, 2002
                            Chris,

                            Thanks for the information. An "improvement" in an item is not always
                            exactly what one thinks. (in this case, as in others, it is an
                            improvement in the bottom line of the manufacturer)

                            With all the excessive play (back lash) in the Z axis, maybe a jack
                            screw adjustment would be an improvement. (but, I would not want to be
                            the one who has to crank it up against the weight of the head!)

                            Leo (pearland, tx)
                          • Ron Yost
                            Message 13 of 25 , Nov 2, 2002
                              >And yes, a mill holder will definitely get you closer. I have some o5
                              >from Grizzley and the head length is about 2". That might be a quicker
                              >and easier route.

                              I'm guessing you guys are talking about MiniMills with morse taper
                              spindles? The R8 spindle on some MiniMills (like my HF) sticks down about
                              an inch lower to begin with, IIRC. Of course, that also means there's
                              about an inch less max distance between the table and the spindle.
                              As they say, there ain't no free lunch. :)

                              Ron Yost
                            • dswr@webtv.net
                              Message 14 of 25 , Nov 2, 2002
                                Yes, my mill is a Grizz. #3 MT. (had a hard time dislodging the drill
                                chuck... instructions: gently tap on the loosened drawbar to dislodge...
                                ha!)

                                The type of milling I've done so far, has been close to the table.
                                (milling a piston rod, frames for a steam engine) Maximum height was not
                                a problem, however when going from a twist drill to a endmill, a wide
                                range is quite desirable.

                                I am going to order a endmill holder from Grizzly on Monday.

                                I just finished mounting the mill on a "roll around" table. (i was in
                                the tv, electronics business and have a bunch of these tables) They can
                                support quite a bit of weight. I topped the table with 1.25" thick chip
                                board planks. On top of that, I layered 3 layers of 3/4" MDF, 4 1/2"
                                back of the front of the table. (so the Y axis hand wheel will not
                                protrude past the edge of the table) These are 11" x 18.5", topped by a
                                sheet of 1/8" steel. Moving the mill around the shop seems to be a plus.
                                I'll report the results, after I've tried it a few times.

                                Now, all I have to do is wait for the cooling fan replacement and I'll
                                be in business!

                                Leo (pearland, tx.. it's raining again. 8-( )

                                BTW: taking the column off the mill allows one man (i guess i'm a weeny)
                                8-) to move the mill. But, be careful! It's a handful to mate back
                                together.
                                Message 15 of 25 , Nov 3, 2002
                                  Hi Leo:

                                  It was a concern when I first got the machine. Now I
                                  just unbolt the counterbalance arm when I need to get
                                  low. When I change to a weighted counterbalance, that
                                  won't be a concern at all.

                                  Barry Young

                                  http://webhosting.yahoo.com/
                                • dswr@webtv.net
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Nov 3, 2002
                                    Barry,

                                    What are the things to watch for when (and how) I disconnect the counter
                                    balance arm?

                                    I remember when I was converting my drill press to a mill, I
                                    disconnected the counterbalance spring, and it got away from me! (had a
                                    nasty tear in my right hand between the thumb and the.. the pointing
                                    finger! 8-) )

                                    Leo (gee, it's raining again in pearland... gonna trade my JD 850 for a
                                    boat)
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Nov 9, 2002
                                      Youch!!!!

                                      You are right, I should have mentioned that with the
                                      counterbalance disconnected that the head goes South
                                      with a vengence.

                                      Thanks

                                      Barry Young

                                      http://launch.yahoo.com/u2