Re: Cutting aluminum with miter saw

  • Martin Rowe
    Message 1 of 32 , Sep 5, 2008
      Kam, I have cut much thinner aluminum with the same saw you are talking
      about. I wounldn't do it again, the size of stuff you are talking
      about cutting WILL grab and be very danguous. Please think about doing
      another way. best of luck Martin

      --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "kn592" <kn592@...> wrote:

      > Hi guys,
      > I need to cut 2.5" thick 6061 aluminum block. I was thinking to use a
      > 7 1/4" Craftsman component miter saw that I have which comes with
      > carbide blade.
      >
      > Question: Do you guys recommend to use the miter saw?
      > Does the carbide blade good enough to cut aluminum?
      > The picture on the box shows cutting woods
      >
      > Thanks
      > Kam

    • hohum112
      Message 32 of 32 , Sep 6, 2008
        --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com,

        > I was using my table router last week and i'll be damned if the router
        > bit worked itself loose from the chuck somehow and flew across the barn
        > a few feet. Worst part was it ruined the work piece and i had to start
        > over again. I too, once tried the router method, thinking that the
        hi RPM would work great. Not So. The bit didn't get away on me but the
        whole cutting action was not near as good as using the 7 1/4" skil
        saw. I also use a 2" angle aluminum piece with "C" clamps as a
        guide.Try it out and you'll be quite pleased with the results. Just
        cut with patience at reasonable depths and you'll be a believer.
        Mike G.