Re: Cutting aluminum with miter saw

  • moparado
    Message 1 of 32 , Sep 5, 2008
      Looks like a good little 4" bench top unit if space is a concern.
      The only comment, i have one of those Asian Homier 6" floor
      Horiz.bandsaws which cost a lot less than that price though i bought it
      a bunch of years ago. There are times when even the 6" capacity is not
      enough like for cutting steel plate, etc.
      -Ken
      ---------------------------
      "rlisano" <rlisano@...> wrote:

      > I have considered getting this benchtop horizontal bandsaw for doing
      > some aluminum cutting.
      >
      > http://www.lathemaster.com/Benchtop%20Bandsaw.htm
      >
      > It has a good review on http://thehobbyistmachineshop.com/, under
      > Workshop -> G5010 Bandsaw.

    • hohum112
      Message 32 of 32 , Sep 6, 2008
        --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com,

        > I was using my table router last week and i'll be damned if the router
        > bit worked itself loose from the chuck somehow and flew across the barn
        > a few feet. Worst part was it ruined the work piece and i had to start
        > over again. I too, once tried the router method, thinking that the
        hi RPM would work great. Not So. The bit didn't get away on me but the
        whole cutting action was not near as good as using the 7 1/4" skil
        saw. I also use a 2" angle aluminum piece with "C" clamps as a
        guide.Try it out and you'll be quite pleased with the results. Just
        cut with patience at reasonable depths and you'll be a believer.
        Mike G.