squeaking handwheel

  • rosenguy
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 4, 2008
      My Micro Mark minimill is squeaking when I turn the x and y handwheels.
      Both the x and y will squeak at times - even when I am not cutting
      anything. They don't squeak through all of their travel, just a portion
      of it. I have not oiled the handwheels or greased the lead screws in
      years, but I don't use the mill that often. How do you get at the
      leadscrews? Do you think that lubricating the leadscrews and handwheel
      bearings should stop the squeaking? While we are at it, what grease do
      you recommend?

      Thanks for any suggestions.

      -Burt
    • Randy Smith
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 5, 2008
        Burt; My suggestion is to go to LittleMachineShop and look at part #
        1764 This is a refit kit for the leadscrews in the mini mill. Click
        on the "Chris Tips - Special Instructions" in yellow to see the
        installation guide for this part. It contains details of how to
        dis-assemble the leadscrews and gibs. Use caution mot to drop any small
        parts. There is a very small rectangular piece of spring metal inside
        the X and Y knobs.

        Everyone has their favorites for lube. I use white lithium grease and
        3-in-1 oil

        Does the mill lose accuracy when it squeaks? Note the indicator mark on
        the knob, and turn the crank handle about 10 turns and stop with the
        handle in the same position. Does the indicator read the same?

        Hope this helps...

        --

        Later.... Randy S
        Practice random kindness and commit senseless acts of beauty.

        rosenguy wrote:
        > My Micro Mark minimill is squeaking when I turn the x and y handwheels.
        > Both the x and y will squeak at times - even when I am not cutting
        > anything. They don't squeak through all of their travel, just a portion
        > of it. I have not oiled the handwheels or greased the lead screws in
        > years, but I don't use the mill that often. How do you get at the
        > leadscrews? Do you think that lubricating the leadscrews and handwheel
        > bearings should stop the squeaking? While we are at it, what grease do
        > you recommend?
        >
        > Thanks for any suggestions.
        >
        > -Burt

      • rosenguy
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 5, 2008
          Hi Randy,

          Thanks for the info. The instructions on the LittleMachineShop
          website are excellent. I will use them to disassemble and lube
          everything.

          I don't think the mill loses accuracy when it squeaks.

          -Burt

          --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Randy Smith <randyrls@...>